Acer TC 885 CPU FAN (i5 8400) replacement

AlexIvan456
AlexIvan456 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited September 2020 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
Hey, guys, has anyone ever replaced the heat sink of an Acer TC 885? If so what heatsink did you buy?
I doubt if these rainbow-circled threads can be removed once the original heatsink is removed (https://prntscr.com/udlr0n)
Looking at the video of this guy, it would seem that they come away by themselves once the stock heatsink is removed, can you confirm if it is indeed so? (https://youtu.be/TW_5BvWmQ6Y?t=256 At 4:16 / https://prntscr.com/udlu84) 

Answers

• kqian111
    kqian111 Member Posts: 37 Troubleshooter
    No, you need to remove the mobo from the case in order to access the bottom of the mobo and remove those threads. They are fixed in place with 2 sided tape on the bottom.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    That depends on which type of cooler you are using. You only need to pull those press fit nuts if you are going with one of the 'universal' snap in style coolers, with the normal coolers designed for these processors they screw right back into place without removal of the MB.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • W0ZZA
    W0ZZA Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    That depends on which type of cooler you are using. You only need to pull those press fit nuts if you are going with one of the 'universal' snap in style coolers, with the normal coolers designed for these processors they screw right back into place without removal of the MB.
    Do you have a recommendation for an easy-to-fit processort cooler please?

If I don't sort out my noisey TC-885 (i7 8700) my wife is going to divorce me, I think!

Fans go crazy just opening a raw file in Lightroom. *sob*

• KuczynskiW
    KuczynskiW Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited December 2020
    Hi.
    Do i understand that you can remove threats with backplate on the motherboard just py pressing them with a slight amount of force from proccesor's socket side ?
  • kqian111
    W0ZZA said:
    billsey said:
    Do you have a recommendation for an easy-to-fit processort cooler please?

If I don't sort out my noisey TC-885 (i7 8700) my wife is going to divorce me, I think!

Fans go crazy just opening a raw file in Lightroom. *sob*

I got these from Amazon and they work well and fit inside the case with lid closed. All other 120mm tower coolers will not fit inside our tight cases.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IVQY6GS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • W0ZZA

Tinkerer

Thanks for the recommendation. This could be a life saver.

I take it this fits in the existing threads so relatively easy in install? (Just follow the instructions image on the Amazon page, right?)

PS I saw this in the comments...

"This heatsink/fan combo comes with a little packet of thermal paste but I didn't use it as I paired this thing with a graphite thermal pad instead."

Is this recommended? 

(Thanks again for your help)
  • W0ZZA

Tinkerer

kqian111 said:

I got these from Amazon and they work well and fit inside the case with lid closed. All other 120mm tower coolers will not fit inside our tight cases.
    Realised I didn't quote you, so you're less likely to see my reply (above). Thanks :-)
  • kqian111
    W0ZZA said:

I take it this fits in the existing threads so relatively easy in install? (Just follow the instructions image on the Amazon page, right?)

"This heatsink/fan combo comes with a little packet of thermal paste but I didn't use it as I paired this thing with a graphite thermal pad instead."

Is this recommended? 

Sadly, it did involve taking apart the mobo and unseating the existing threads from behind before installing the new cooler. The new cooler's base clips into the mounting holes once you've removed the existing threads.

I used the provided thermal paste and it works just fine. I have my own 92mm fan that runs quieter than the one that comes with the cooler. That's something worth considering as the red LED fan is some cheap Chinese PWM fan that runs louder than it needs to.
  • W0ZZA

Tinkerer

kqian111 said:
    W0ZZA said:

Is this recommended? 

Sadly, it did involve taking apart the mobo and unseating the existing threads from behind before installing the new cooler. The new cooler's base clips into the mounting holes once you've removed the existing threads.

I used the provided thermal paste and it works just fine. I have my own 92mm fan that runs quieter than the one that comes with the cooler. That's something worth considering as the red LED fan is some cheap Chinese PWM fan that runs louder than it needs to.
    Ah, *****. Was hoping to avoid taking out the motherboard. Is there really no option which fits in the existing threads?

(Thanks again for advice)
  • kqian111
    W0ZZA said:
    kqian111 said:
    W0ZZA said:

Is this recommended? 

Ah, *****. Was hoping to avoid taking out the motherboard. Is there really no option which fits in the existing threads?

(Thanks again for advice)

I think even the popular CM Hyper 212 would require removing the threads since it mounts directly to the mobo mounting holes. It's not too difficult to remove the mobo since it's just 6 screws holding it in place. You'll have to be careful removing the front panel connections since they are all attached to the mobo.
  • lubu
    lubu Member Posts: 29 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Guys.... I am another victim on XC-885 ( small case of TC-885 )

The CPU Fan is manufacturer design defect 100% for sure..... I have to replace it but it seem it is not easy.
    Those "Threads pole" are removable??  I am not dare to take out the motherboard before make sure those threads pole are 100% removable.....

I have searched online for few hours but I can't find any example photo or video which can show the back of the motherboard..........

I can't understand how can Acer release this product to market and I will not buy any Acer product again from now on for sure.........

Guys.. Could any one show some mercy to show me the photo of the back of the motherboard? 
    And which CPU Heatsink is OK to replace it??  

From online search show, it just using standard ATX power and the FAN cable pin assignment is standard as well right?

Any information is appreciated :)

Million Thanks!

Best Regards,
    Joseph T_T
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    @lubu, you seem to have posted this a bunch of different times to different threads. Try to stick with one thread when you ask a question, and ask a new question like this in it's own thread. I've already answered one of the threads...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • lubu
    lubu Member Posts: 29 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    billsey said:
    @lubu, you seem to have posted this a bunch of different times to different threads. Try to stick with one thread when you ask a question, and ask a new question like this in it's own thread. I've already answered one of the threads...
    Hi,

I just OPENED one new question under my name only.

For all other posts which I left message which is not opened by me....
    As I see some users have same experience... so I ask them as well only........

I am not asking same question but I am asking detail for those users who have same experience to see how they solve it....

If I not ask them in their posts, they won't reply me I believe....

Thanks....

Joe