Can you add a graphics card to the acer aspire tc 895?

Jeeeed
Jeeeed Member Posts: 4 New User
i added the msi gtx 1650 low profile but nothing detects it, what the *****?

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Jeeeed
    Currently, it is hard to find PSU upgrade for TC-895. Maybe within a year you can find one. Just bear with it for the mean time.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Yeah, how big is your power supply? You may need a higher wattage ATX12VO supply.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Jeeeed said:
    i added the msi gtx 1650 low profile but nothing detects it, what the *****?

As collogue billsey is suggesting, the GeForce GTX 1650 4GB (GDDR5) has an interface of PCI-E 3.0 x16 and takes a min 300W PS with no PS connectors needed. Your OEM TC-895 has a 1x PCI Express x16 slot and its OEM PS wattage is 300W, which is not enough for your GTX 1650 to run properly. Get a new PS of at least 550W and try and see if your GTX 1650 will run. Also make sure that the GTX 1650 is seated properly in its PCIe slot and that you have the exact NVIDIA driver for the GTX 1650.

• Jeeeed
    Following up on my issue, I just tested the GeForce GTX 1650 4GB on an oldest Lenovo desktop (H50-55) running with a 280 watts PSU and it worked.  But my Acer, running with a 300 watts PSU, doesn't even power on the fan nor does it detect the GPU. Is there any way to troubleshoot the PCIe slot? 
    Thanks in advance
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    edited December 2020
    Jeeeed said:
    Following up on my issue, I just tested the GeForce GTX 1650 4GB on an oldest Lenovo desktop (H50-55) running with a 280 watts PSU and it worked.  But my Acer, running with a 300 watts PSU, doesn't even power on the fan nor does it detect the GPU. Is there any way to troubleshoot the PCIe slot? 
    Thanks in advance
    Check that the x16 PCIe slot is working properly, as that is impossible as there must be something wrong with your TC-895 mobo slot. Also, I must correct what I said above, as I gave you the PS for the GTX 1650 not the Low Profile as the MSI GTX 1650 Low Profile needs a 250W PS not a 300W, sorry about that. Try the x16 PCIe slot with another card (if you have one?) and make sure that it works.
  • Jeeeed
    Thanks Steven  
    The
     "Low Profile MSI GTX 1650" is actually the second GPU tested in the desktop.  The previous one wasn't recognized either (although it did powered on directly from the PSU). Its hard for me to think that this is a PCI slot hardware issue as this a barely new desktop.   
  • kqian111
    kqian111 Member Posts: 37 Troubleshooter
    does the system post/beep? if you connect to the mobo HDMI connectors, do they still work? Wondering if the system recognizes the new card and auto switched to the 1650 or if it's completely dead, then it will stay with the iGPU.
  • Jeeeed
    Hi
    The mobo HDMI connectors work.  However, the system doesn't recognize the 1650 GPU nor does it switch to it.  It must be noted that I tested the GPU in an older desktop and it worked.
  • Davejo90
    Davejo90 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited January 2021
    I read before that you need to download the latest drivers for the GPU. Once that's done try uninstalling the previous graphics driver from the 'Device Manager' under 'Display Adaptors'. Once you've done that restart the PC and it will go to the default settings, now update the driver with the one you downloaded and hopefully it should work.
  • kqian111
    Jeeeed said:
    Hi
    The mobo HDMI connectors work.  However, the system doesn't recognize the 1650 GPU nor does it switch to it.  It must be noted that I tested the GPU in an older desktop and it worked.
    If the mobo HDMI still works while the GTX 1650 is connected to your system then the mobo is clearly not recognizing your GPU. No driver will fix that. If you've tried multiple GPUs on this PC and all exhibit the same behavior, I would RMA the PC.
  • HMonk
    HMonk Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Just a thought: a preferred method of removing/upgrading GFX drivers is to, first, uninstall using DDU, then install the appropriate driver for your machine/OS. DDU, at once, removes any and all AMD/Nvidia drivers. You might also boot to Safe Mode and see if your card responds.
  • kqian111
    If the card is not recognized at boot and BIOS does not switch to it, then no point in installing/uninstalling windows drivers. The root cause is at a more basic level.
  • ptiang74
    ptiang74 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

any update as to what GPU can be added using the stock power supply?
  • ChicoDusty
    ChicoDusty Member Posts: 1 New User
    ptiang74 said:
    any update as to what GPU can be added using the stock power supply?
    Yes, this one works well with the stock power supply:

Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GDDR5 128 Bit PCI-E Graphic Card

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M4KGTNI?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

I'm a pretty casual gamer, so it may or may not serve all your needs but it definitely serves mine. It plays Fortnite on epic, Genshin Impact wouldn't even load on my pc but with this it plays beautifully. You can see videos on youtube of its performance on other popular titles. No wires, just powers straight through the PCI so, plug and play!