SF314-42 doesn't wake up from sleep mode, Windows restarts instead, please help!

Answers

• kirmgrauza
    kirmgrauza Member Posts: 99 Fixer WiFi Icon
    @JaimeDLH , nah it isn't running and it cannot be ran.

• JaimeDLH
    JaimeDLH Member Posts: 43 Devotee WiFi Icon

That's why you don't have this issue :-)
  • JaimeDLH
    BTW, to enable Hyper-V you don't just flip the switch on its service. If you really want to enable it, the easiest way would be to enable WSL2. Here you can see how.
  • kirmgrauza
    edited November 2020
    Okay. I don't know if Hyper-V is very important for most of us. But it doesn't work for all.

Anyways, I've tried enabling "Core Isolation" feature in Windows Security. And computer started to crash after sleep.

• JaimeDLH
    Now that (sleep crashing with core isolation on) is interesting, thanks @kirmgrauza ! Makes sense, since that feature relies on virtualization too.

I agree that most people won't be using virtualization features like Hyper-V. But for those of us who rely on it, this sure is inconvenient :-( I get around it by using hibernate instead of sleep (wearing my SSD a little bit every time I close the laptop lid XD), but it would be great to be able to find and solve this issue.
  • Captain_Champi
    Captain_Champi Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Hi everyone.
    I experience the same problem. I thought that the MB replacement can be a solution. Tried it with the store where I bought it, and after 3 weeks... nothing is done. I'm wondering if they checked the computer with some hyper-v features enabled on to ensure if it's fixed or not...
    Anyway, the MB replacement doesn't fixed it at all. (it costed nothing of course...)

I'm still at the same point, and I contacted Acer France on twitter to have more informations about this.
    I also opened a ticket with AMD, but I don't answered to them since they don't have a REAL solution. (And it'll be costly!)
  • JaimeDLH
    Hi everyone.
    I experience the same problem. I thought that the MB replacement can be a solution. Tried it with the store where I bought it, and after 3 weeks... nothing is done. I'm wondering if they checked the computer with some hyper-v features enabled on to ensure if it's fixed or not...
    Anyway, the MB replacement doesn't fixed it at all. (it costed nothing of course...)

I'm still at the same point, and I contacted Acer France on twitter to have more informations about this.
    I also opened a ticket with AMD, but I don't answered to them since they don't have a REAL solution. (And it'll be costly!)
    I'd suggest you also open a ticket right here, on Acer support via Live chat. They won't offer a solution to the problem right away, but I think it helps in making the issue a little bit more visible to their support and tech teams.
  • JaimeDLH
    edited November 2020
    A new UEFI BIOS version (1.08) was published today to the support page, just installed it. Sadly, it *does not* fix this issue, the laptop still can't exit sleep without a crash and reboot...
  • @JaimeDLH As acer has released a new version of the bios, try restoring the bios to try to fix some bugs by pressing f9 and then f10 to save and exit.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JaimeDLH
    @JaimeDLH As acer has released a new version of the bios, try restoring the bios to try to fix some bugs by pressing f9 and then f10 to save and exit.
    Just tried it. Restored settings to default values in the BIOS, saved and rebooted. The problem persists.

While I agree that probably not many people use the virtualization features, this is silly. I don't know how else to try to get Acer tech support attention about this. There surely must be a way to fix it.
  • Captain_Champi

Tinkerer

JaimeDLH said:
    @JaimeDLH As acer has released a new version of the bios, try restoring the bios to try to fix some bugs by pressing f9 and then f10 to save and exit.
    Just tried it. Restored settings to default values in the BIOS, saved and rebooted. The problem persists.

While I agree that probably not many people use the virtualization features, this is silly. I don't know how else to try to get Acer tech support attention about this. There surely must be a way to fix it.
    Hi, I just received an answer to Acer France. This is what they said to me.

"Hello,

You contact us following a malfunction that occurred on your product after the virtualization standby release. 
    Please accept our sincere apologies for the problem you are experiencing.
    First of all, we would like to draw your attention to the fact that our support can only be provided on the original configuration of your product.
    Indeed, it is possible that a customization made by the user has not been tested or validated during the design of the product.

The problem may come directly from your application that generates an anomaly with the power options.

Thank you for your confidence in the Acer brand.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for any further information.
    We look forward to hearing from you,"

This is ridiculous!! How can they say this thing to me??

Here's my answer :

"Hello,
    I would like to inform you that virtualization is an essential technology in some cases, without which many apps cannot work properly. Apps such as Bluestacks, VirtualBox, VMWare, WSL, but also Windows Defender with its Sandbox mode (to test dangerous apps) NEED virtualization features to work, and since it is implemented in the computer, it must work properly and make the computer work properly.

I'm rather shocked by your answer which sends me back to a non-problem.

I would like to answer you by informing you that as soon as you start the computer (starting from scratch) and after the BASIC configuration of Windows (just to get out of the blue Windows 10 configuration screen), the computer is ALREADY likely to have problems, including the sleep problem (I checked it!!). Yet nothing is configured, isn't it ?

In addition, I would like to point out that even if the application in question is not open, the computer is still idle."

What can you say about it?
    Will they know and admit that there is a problem about this computer (or bunch of computers)?

PS : Updated BIOS to 1.08, same issue.

• Captain_Champi

Tinkerer

JaimeDLH said:

Hi, I just received an answer to Acer France. This is what they said to me.

"Hello,

You contact us following a malfunction that occurred on your product after the virtualization standby release. 
    Please accept our sincere apologies for the problem you are experiencing.
    First of all, we would like to draw your attention to the fact that our support can only be provided on the original configuration of your product.
    Indeed, it is possible that a customization made by the user has not been tested or validated during the design of the product.

The problem may come directly from your application that generates an anomaly with the power options.

Thank you for your confidence in the Acer brand.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for any further information.
    We look forward to hearing from you,"

This is ridiculous!! How can they say this thing to me??

Here's my answer :

"Hello,
    I would like to inform you that virtualization is an essential technology in some cases, without which many apps cannot work properly. Apps such as Bluestacks, VirtualBox, VMWare, WSL, but also Windows Defender with its Sandbox mode (to test dangerous apps) NEED virtualization features to work, and since it is implemented in the computer, it must work properly and make the computer work properly.

I'm rather shocked by your answer which sends me back to a non-problem.

I would like to answer you by informing you that as soon as you start the computer (starting from scratch) and after the BASIC configuration of Windows (just to get out of the blue Windows 10 configuration screen), the computer is ALREADY likely to have problems, including the sleep problem (I checked it!!). Yet nothing is configured, isn't it ?

In addition, I would like to point out that even if the application in question is not open, the computer is still idle."

What can you say about it?
    Will they know and admit that there is a problem about this computer (or bunch of computers)?

PS : Updated BIOS to 1.08, same issue.

• JaimeDLH
    Using the virtualization functionality is part of the features offered by the hardware platform of this laptop, so its use couldn't be considered as something that prevents technical support.

That said... I agree that this is a complicated issue. This still could very well be a bug in Windows, or in Hyper-V. It could be a device driver. For me, it isn't entirely clear who to "blame" about this. Could be Acer, AMD or Microsoft at this point, really. The error logged in the event viewer isn't very useful at this point.

That's the worst part for me... Being in the dark about how to approach the problem to solve it.
  • JaimeDLH
    JaimeDLH said:

BTW, to enable Hyper-V you don't just flip the switch on its service. If you really want to enable it, the easiest way would be to enable WSL2. Here you can see how.
  • kirmgrauza
    JaimeDLH said:
    JaimeDLH said:

Hyper-V feature is only required for very rare and specific purposes. Main virtualization was working anyways. I need it on my IT studies.
    Other than that, I fallowed that tutorial and my PC started to crash after sleep.  

Now have to restore my system.
  • kirmgrauza
    Restore couldn't help. Now I'll have go with a fresh system start. 🤦🏻‍♂️
  • kirmgrauza
    After "Fresh start" (factory reset) sleep starts to work again with Windows 10. I can use sleep function with Windows, but I can't use it with Ubuntu 20.10. This gives me a headache.

I've contacted Acer about this issue, they noted, that they're working on it. BIOS is passing qualification and should be released somewhere about December, so sleep issue should be fixed.
  • JaimeDLH
    After "Fresh start" (factory reset) sleep starts to work again with Windows 10. I can use sleep function with Windows, but I can't use it with Ubuntu 20.10. This gives me a headache.

I've contacted Acer about this issue, they noted, that they're working on it. BIOS is passing qualification and should be released somewhere about December, so sleep issue should be fixed.
    Wow, thanks for sharing this! Great news!
  • Captain_Champi

Tinkerer

Hi guys!
    Still no new BIOS since the last time we talked about this.
    It annoys me a lot, my computer came back from the repair store (with the warranty, of course) two times and I don't want to install windows and my programs anymore...
    Do you have some news about this (freaking) BIOS that is not coming????
    I hope that this problem will be solved in a few days...

Have a nice day,
    Champi
  • mit_s
    mit_s Member Posts: 4 New User
    Confirmed that I encountered same problem on SP513-54N (SPIN 5 - 2020 Model).
    After updated to 20H2 and installing WSL2 + Docker, my device that reboot when sleep.
    Next, I try to fix by updating BIOS to latest version (1.06), the device goes into the boot loop
    Currently sent to a service center.
This discussion has been closed.