Aspire TC-885 Desktop doesn't see new added SSD

JohnM3
JohnM3 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
I am upgrading my original TC-885 desktop for gaming. Already upgraded Ram to 32 GB and power supply to 600W but now am having trouble adding an internal 2TB SSD Samsung 870 QVO as a second SATA SSD drive. The PC came with a 512GB SSD in the M.2 slot as the boot drive. I have connected a power cable and the SATA cable to the motherboard next to the other SATA cable which is connected to the DVD drive. I have tried booting over and over but the PC doesn't see the new SSD drive? What do I still need to do to make this work? Thanks for any and all help!

Best Answer

• JohnM3
    edited December 2020 Answer ✓
    Thank you very much for all your help! By looking at all the settings listed under Device Management and then Under Storage Management in Security section of control panel, I saw that the new SSD was being used in RAID mode. That is, that all new added apps or saved docs were being written to both the original boot SSD and the new SSD as well at the same time. Although this affords some security/safety with regard to potential PC crashes, it limits the available storage space and doesn't allow use of the new 2TB SSD independently for storing apps and docs. I reset that option to write to only one drive and the PC now sees the SSDs separately. I also set the new drive as the default for all new downloads, docs, apps etc and then changed the drive letters of the DVD drive and new SSD so that the SSD is D : drive and DVD is E: Drive. Thanks again for all your help!

Answers

• Hi,
    Go to Disk Management and post the section of it, like my snip.

• JohnM3
    Thanks for the help!

• JohnM3
    Is it possible that it is using the added SSD in RAID configuration? If so, how do i disable Raid? I looked at the bios but there is no setting for raid? Thanks!

• Yes, if it's the case, you have to wait for someone else to respond, please wait someone will reply.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    edited December 2020
    JohnM3 said:
    I am upgrading my original TC-885 desktop for gaming. Already upgraded Ram to 32 GB and power supply to 600W but now am having trouble adding an internal 2TB SSD Samsung 870 QVO as a second SATA SSD drive. The PC came with a 512GB SSD in the M.2 slot as the boot drive. I have connected a power cable and the SATA cable to the motherboard next to the other SATA cable which is connected to the DVD drive. I have tried booting over and over but the PC doesn't see the new SSD drive? What do I still need to do to make this work? Thanks for any and all help!
    Firstly, what are you trying to do? As you only say "as a second SATA SSD drive"? Is that a slave drive or a replacement to your smaller M.2 boot drive. So I presume that you are using the 2TB SSD Samsung 870 QVO as a slave drive, is that correct? Because, if you are using it as a boot drive (and you have cloned your OS properly onto the news drive) then you CAN NOT have both SATA and M.2 drives as boot drives installed simultaneously when booting your computer, as your system will always boot from the old drive and not recognise your new 2TB SSD Samsung 870 QVO drive. Take the old M.2 drive out as then the OS will recognise the new boot drive. 

If you are using this new 2TB SSD Samsung 870 QVO drive as a slave drive (or secondary drive like I think that you are) and Windows doesn't recognize this drive then, power down and check for any loose or unplugged wires and make sure that you have pugged the "SATA Data" cable into the correct "SATA Data" mainboard connector (as there are 3x  SATA Data connectors, see caption below) and/or your "SATA Power" connector is working or plugged in properly? Try all this and especially the mainboard "SATA Data" connectors systematically, as that could be your problem. Because if everything is in working order, then Windows will recognise this secondary drive and you can go ahead and set up your new SSD with formatting the drive, simple.

• JohnM3
    edited December 2020 Answer ✓
    Thank you very much for all your help! By looking at all the settings listed under Device Management and then Under Storage Management in Security section of control panel, I saw that the new SSD was being used in RAID mode. That is, that all new added apps or saved docs were being written to both the original boot SSD and the new SSD as well at the same time. Although this affords some security/safety with regard to potential PC crashes, it limits the available storage space and doesn't allow use of the new 2TB SSD independently for storing apps and docs. I reset that option to write to only one drive and the PC now sees the SSDs separately. I also set the new drive as the default for all new downloads, docs, apps etc and then changed the drive letters of the DVD drive and new SSD so that the SSD is D : drive and DVD is E: Drive. Thanks again for all your help!
  • kqian111
    kqian111 Member Posts: 37 Troubleshooter
    How did you enable/disable RAID?