What Is OneDriveOld And Can I Get Rid Of It? Acer TC-885

normhamilton
normhamilton Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
My Acer TC-885 has two "Document" Directories: One in users/norm and one in users/norm/OneDriveOld. Unfortunately installed programs that create folders in "Documents" install them on the one in OneDriveOld. I don't seem to be able to locate the OneDriveOld folder in Windows Explorer so having my auto-backup software back up the folder seems impossible.
Can anyone tell me why the OneDriveOld folder exists and if things can be altered so installed programs place their folders in the users/norm/Documents folder?
(If it matters, I've set Microsoft OneDrive to not sync with my computer)

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Microsoft OneDrive creates a temporary hidden folder to cache contents of your cloud storage as it's used. I thought they called it OneDriveTemp, but I suppose it could be OneDriveOld instead. As long as you have your OneDrive mounted that folder should be there. No real need to back it up since it's already backed up to the cloud. If you want to see it in Explorer you just need to turn on viewing of hidden files.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • normhamilton

Tinkerer

I have OneDrive uninstalled and sync turned off at the Microsoft site. When I look online, all folders there are empty.
    I found the folder in Explorer though. It's in a folder labeled _OneDrive instead of OneDrive. Not sure why other programs use the Documents folder located there instead of the usual Documents folder but at least now I should be able to back things up.
    Thanks for your part in this discussion, billsey.

• billsey
    OK, login as norm and in File Explorer right click the Documents shortcut and get into Properties. One of the tabs is Location and you can change it's default from there. Just put it at C:\users\norm\Documents instead of in the OneDrive folder. That should give you the behavior you want.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • normhamilton

Tinkerer

Tried that but got an error message saying there's a folder in the same location that can't be redirected.
    Before clicking on Restore Default the location was incorrect.

• billsey
    OK, try this: Right click on your OneDrive icon at bottom right of the screen, select Settings, and then the Backup tab and Manage Backup button. Click on Stop backup for any folders you don't want to backup to OneDrive by default.
  • normhamilton

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    OK, try this: Right click on your OneDrive icon at bottom right of the screen, select Settings, and then the Backup tab and Manage Backup button. Click on Stop backup for any folders you don't want to backup to OneDrive by default.
    I don't have the OneDrive icon as I removed the program. I didn't like the idea that Microsoft was set to upload my images even before I authorized it.
    All's well though. I can work with my programs as things are and, hopefully, in the new year I'll be able to afford a larger NVMe drive and I'll just do a clean install of Windows.
    Thanks for your time, billsey. Have a wonderful Holiday Season.

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @normhamilton

The first thing I do after Win 10 installation is to uninstall Drive One, Norton Antivirus and Office 365... etc., all this kind of unwanted programs.
  • normhamilton

Tinkerer

ttttt said:
    @normhamilton

The first thing I do after Win 10 installation is to uninstall Drive One, Norton Antivirus and Office 365... etc., all this kind of unwanted programs.

That's exactly what I did as well. That's why I'm hoping to do a clean install in the New Year.
  • billsey
    I, on the other hand, do use OneDrive as an online backup to my documents and pictures... I have more than one PC (boy, is that an understatement!) and can transparently share my documents between them all.