Acer Aspire X3995 PCI-E x8 Graphics card doesn't work in motherboard's PCI-E x16 slot

imTheSupremeOne
imTheSupremeOne Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
Hello. I have Acer Aspire X3995 PC. I bought used rx560 graphics card to upgrade GPU which as it turned out uses only half of the PCI-E contacts. I've read that x8 components should work without problems in x16 slots... but on turning on system wasn't beeping and outputing any signal on monitor, even though fans were spinning.

I took motherboard and GPU to repair service for diagnostic and used GPU was working fine in other, even older rig, and also my PCI-E slot was healthy and could run some Nvidia's 5xx graphics card. But not my GPU... Master said that this is probably due to bios not recognising 8x graphics card as a graphics card, and after trying resetting bios, said that I need other motherboard because this has no bios updates...

Is this issue known?.. Is there really no workarounds except buying new motherboard?.. I don't think about another GPU because this was a good deal, and I already know it's working, and few days passed already...

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    I would think it'd be cheaper and better to buy a newer GPU than to replace the MB. A MB replace on an older machine is likely going to involve a new CPU and new memory as well, but an older x16 GPU isn't going to be very expensive.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • imTheSupremeOne
    imTheSupremeOne Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited December 2020
    I bought a GTX 960, which has x16 pins ... but it doesn't work too (((
    (I bought from hands this time and it was working in games and in Furmark so GPU is fine... )
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    Dang... :( Maybe time to start thinking about a newer base to build on?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.