Acer Aspire T3-710 M.2 SSD screw size

I am trying to install a M.2 SSD drive to my Acer Aspire T3-710, and the motherboard does not include a screw. I did a quick search on the forum and there are people successfully installed a M.2 SSD drive. May I ask what size of screw is used, and where can it be purchased? Thanks.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    M2x3mm, the M.2 specific screws have a wide head on them, but the normal headed ones will work in a pinch.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • supernova2020
    supernova2020 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Thanks. I am ordering one and will update when it arrives.
  • billsey
    Perfect, let us know.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • supernova2020

Tinkerer

The M2x3mm screw fits perfectly!
  • billsey
    Great! :)      
  • Kennedi
    Kennedi Member Posts: 1 New User
    Does this rig work for editing photos? Yes! I thought the low-power Sandy Bridge architecture from my 2011 iMac was doing just fine until I imported about 100 raw files into Capture One on this machine. My jaw dropped. It handled each 16MB RAW file as quickly as my old machine worked with plain jpgs. I went to Userbenchmark.com and it appears that the high clock speed of the i3-6100's dual cores combined with the well above average I/O of the 2TB HDD combine to make it more responsive than you'd think a machine at this price point would be. I'm not saying it's as responsive as some of the SSD machines I've worked on, because it's not, but this HDD is fast enough that you aren't searching the couch cushions for change to buy an SSD as an immediate upgrade.

MyCCPay Login
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Kennedi
    The speed of M.2 NVMe SSD is just unmatched by 2.5" SATA SSDs and spinning HDDs.
  • supernova2020

Tinkerer

This T3-710 only supports SATA interface (550MB/s) on the M.2 SSD, not NVMe. But the performance is still amazing compared to HDD. I bought the Samsung 860 EVO 500GB and now its like a completely new machine.
  • JimX
    JimX Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited August 2021
    The M2x3mm screw fits perfectly!
    Does your M.2 SSD need a standoff besides the screw?
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,429 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    JimX, I'm wondering where did you use the screw on a SATA SSD. Do you have a picture ?
  • billsey
    @Larryodie, @JimX specifically has asked about installing an M.2 drive, not a 2.5" drive.
  • supernova2020

Tinkerer

@JimX No standoff required.
  • JimX
    JimX Member Posts: 3 New User
    @JimX No standoff required.
    Thank you!
  • Volvoman2009
    Volvoman2009 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi all

Newby here.

I have recently acquired one of these machines.

I am a bit confused about what type of m.2 ssd i can use.

If i search for m.2 sata ssd, all images show cards with 2 cut outs.

My m.2 socket has a small cutout on the right hand side, looking at the mobi. not 2 cut outs. any help would be appreciated. thanks

• billsey
    edited November 2022

@Volvoman2009 the cutouts in the socket help define the version of bus that is usable. For drive slots they use the 'E' and 'M' keys. An 'E' key says the interface supports PCIe x1, an 'M' key says it supports PCIe x4. Most modern slots support x4, but they leave both keys in the drives so people can put an x1 device in if needed. PCIe x1 is used for SATA only drives, x4 is used for NVMe x2 and x4 drives. In your case your slot has an 'M' key and any drive with either just an 'M' slot or with both an 'E' and 'M' slot will work. The best choice though is to use the fastest drive that's supported. In your case it's an NVMe x4 drive on a PCIe 3.0 interface. The newest PCIe 4.0 drives will work, but at the 3.0 speeds.