Upgrade PSU on Aspire Tc-895

Hi, I want to add a graphics card to my Apire tc-895 but I need to upgrade the PSU as the stock one is only rated 180 watts  :/ However looking at the back of it there is no cut out to install a larger unit that I would require (see attached picture). The existing opening is only about 2 inches square! Does anyone know a way around this in order to increase the opening size without wrecking the case, or does there exist a compatible PSU as small as the 180 watt stock version with around 650 watts? I bought this in order to upgrade it but if I cant replace the PSU I cant do anything to it! Any suggestions welcome, thanks.

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Veddersun
    Seems like it is a mini ITX type of power supply. Open it up and measure whether the dimension at the back is 40.5mm (1.59") x 81.5mm (3.21")?
    Most min ITX PSUs are less than 300W and may not be suitable for powerful graphics cards. However I found one good enough but at higher price.
    Check this link:
    https://www.newegg.com/p/1HU-0095-000J4

The other work around way is to find a friend or pay someone who has a small machine shop in their own garage to cut open the rear case conforming to a regular ATX PSU dimension and drill screw holes. PCs using mini ITX PSU may have the interior pretty cramped ( but yours looks like a mATX case like my TC-885, maybe there is enough room). Test it with a regular ATX PSU first.
  • Veddersun
    Veddersun Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hi, thanks for that. I think I’ve come to the conclusion the best way around it is to make the opening larger for a regular size psu. There’s plenty of room inside it for a larger unit it’s just restricted by the hole in the case. I’ll grab a new psu and cut the hole to suit as I think that’s my only option.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Veddersun
    Glad to know that you are handy enough to do it yourself.
  • kqian111
    kqian111 Member Posts: 37 Troubleshooter
    I would highly advise against going this route. What you didn't realize is that the mobo power connector is not the standard 24 pin molex that every PSU has. It's a some proprietary 6 pin connector and won't be compatible with any 3rd party PSU. I have already gone down this path and gave up. I ended up "downgrading" to the prior gen TC-885 which has a standard sized PSU and standard 24 pin connector to the mobo. You'll sacrifice minimal performance loss with the 2019 Core i5 9400 but gain infinite upgradability in the future. Also bonus is the TC-885 comes with USB 3.2 Gen2 10Gb ports on the front whereas the TC-895 ports are only USB 3.1 Gen1 5 Gb.
  • Veddersun
    Veddersun Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hi Kqian111 thanks for the advice, much appreciated. Yes I have checked and it is indeed a 6 pin connector as you said. I'll have to abandon the idea of upgrading the PSU as it's not looking possible. I've ordered a Corsair SF600 so will have to send it back but at least I didn't start cutting holes in my pc before I found out its not going to work! (I'm sure I would have checked first though) Thanks again :)
  • willkirkham
    willkirkham Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

same problem with aspire xc 895 Acer should put buyer beware this pc gpu cannot be upgraded! no one is making this power supple other than acer!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Actually, most PC manufacturers are using that type of supply for new designs. It's required for some Intel certifications. We're just waiting for more secondary market power supplies to show up...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JoeCam
    JoeCam Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have been trying to upgrade my Acer Aspire XC-895 PSU with no luck also. Would the link to https://www.newegg.com/p/1HU-0095-000J4 be suitable?

Refuse to believe I cannot install a a graphics card :(
  • ironworker535
    ironworker535 Member Posts: 1 New User
    JoeCam said:
    I have been trying to upgrade my Acer Aspire XC-895 PSU with no luck also. Would the link to https://www.newegg.com/p/1HU-0095-000J4 be suitable?

Refuse to believe I cannot install a a graphics card :(
    Did you ever find out if this one that you pointed out would work or not? I really want to get a graphics card for my TC-895.

Thank you and good luck to you 
  • Sourgrapes
    Sourgrapes Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

These are the numbers of items, Acer itself has tried in the acer-aspire xc-895 i5 desktop, but it seems acer refuses to make then available for customer upgrades :

DVD SUPER MULTI SLIM8x9mm.GUE 1N .                      KO.0080D.019

DVD DUAL SLIM8x9mm.DA-8AESH.                                 KO.0080F.013

VGA CARD GEFORCE GT 730.2GB DDR3.64B                  DA.73011.004

POWER.300W.100-127/220-240V-6/3A 50-60Hz         DC.3001B.00A

POWER.300W.100-127/220-240V-6/3A 50-60Hz         DC.30018.0

• SpeedToggled
    SpeedToggled Member Posts: 1 New User
    Veddersun said:
    Hi Kqian111 thanks for the advice, much appreciated. Yes I have checked and it is indeed a 6 pin connector as you said. I'll have to abandon the idea of upgrading the PSU as it's not looking possible. I've ordered a Corsair SF600 so will have to send it back but at least I didn't start cutting holes in my pc before I found out its not going to work! (I'm sure I would have checked first though) Thanks again :)
    Did it work were you able to upgrade your psu and then your graphics card?
  • DS549
    DS549 Member Posts: 32 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Acer supplied the TC-895 with a 500w PSU. The part numbers are DC.5001H.001 and DC.5001B.009.

In the UK these can be bought from Just Acer -  phone no. is +44 330 058 1711 and email is support@justacer.co.uk.

I bought a SATA cable Feb 2021 znd they had stock of PSU's then, I think the price was around £70

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    I have heard they have tightened that up, too many people were ordering spare parts to upgrade and they were having stock issues.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.