Acer Veriton X498G BIOS and Boot Menu

ccoggins
ccoggins Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Good evening,
I got an older desktop PC here that I am attempting to turn into a Plex Server.
The system works just fine - However, I am unable to get into the BIOS or Boot Menu.
When Booting it says press DEL to go into BIOS and F12 to go into Boot Menu.

What I did was I cloned the HDD to an SSD and I tossed the SSD into the PC so I could have a bit more speed on the C:.
When I put the SSD in the PC would no longer boot because it is not seeing the SSD.

I have been trying for about an hour to get into the BIOS or Boot Menu with no luck what so ever.
I was wondering if anyone here could help.

I have been holding the power button down for 10+ seconds to completely power it off and I have been spamming the DEL button.. Trying again Spamming the F12 button.
I have tried spamming the F2 button.
I have done Esc+F1+F2+F12+DEL
Nothing seems to work.

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

Answers

• ccoggins said:
    Good evening,
    I got an older desktop PC here that I am attempting to turn into a Plex Server.
    The system works just fine - However, I am unable to get into the BIOS or Boot Menu.
    When Booting it says press DEL to go into BIOS and F12 to go into Boot Menu.

What I did was I cloned the HDD to an SSD and I tossed the SSD into the PC so I could have a bit more speed on the C:.
    When I put the SSD in the PC would no longer boot because it is not seeing the SSD.

I have been trying for about an hour to get into the BIOS or Boot Menu with no luck what so ever.
    I was wondering if anyone here could help.

I have been holding the power button down for 10+ seconds to completely power it off and I have been spamming the DEL button.. Trying again Spamming the F12 button.
    I have tried spamming the F2 button.
    I have done Esc+F1+F2+F12+DEL
    Nothing seems to work.

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.
    Try to take the CMOS battery out (for about 15 min or more first) as that resets the bios, then see if you can get into the bios? Also, what OS are you running on your Acer Veriton X498G? Is it the OEM Win-7 or Win-10? Also, do you know what bios version is on the system now?

As you can reflash (through DOS, see "readme guide" of latest bios version P01.B0L provided here: Product Support | Acer United States) titled BIOS for Linux 1. Fixes always enter into BIOS setup while Setting Password with '.' on Keypad and 'Security Option' as 'System' or 'Setup'. 2. Updates code to support Acer WMI2.7.

But and always be cautious that "Upgrading your system BIOS incorrectly could harm your Acer product. Please proceed with caution" as and if you don't know or haven't done a DOS bios flash? Then you could brick your system if you do anything wrong! 
  • ccoggins

Tinkerer

StevenGen said:
    Try to take the CMOS battery out (for about 15 min or more first) as that resets the bios, then see if you can get into the bios? Also, what OS are you running on your Acer Veriton X498G? Is it the OEM Win-7 or Win-10? Also, do you know what bios version is on the system now?

As you can reflash (through DOS, see "readme guide" of latest bios version P01.B0L provided here: Product Support | Acer United States) titled BIOS for Linux 1. Fixes always enter into BIOS setup while Setting Password with '.' on Keypad and 'Security Option' as 'System' or 'Setup'. 2. Updates code to support Acer WMI2.7.

But and always be cautious that "Upgrading your system BIOS incorrectly could harm your Acer product. Please proceed with caution" as and if you don't know or haven't done a DOS bios flash? Then you could brick your system if you do anything wrong! 
    Thank you for the quick response.
    I will give trying to pull out the CMOS battery for a bit ago tomorrow. 
    The computer is running Windows 10.
    I actually just picked up this machine off eBay and I am planning on turning it into a Plex Server for my parents for Christmas.

I do have experience with PC's so I can give trying to flash the BIOS a chance.
    I do believe the computer originally came with Windows 7 since the Windows 7 sticker is on the case.
  • ccoggins

Tinkerer

That actually made things worse.
    Now I am getting a Post beep then a double beep.
    I am seeing CMOS Checksum Error
    CMOS Date/Time Not Set
    Press DEL to enter BIOS
    Press F1 to Continue.

DEL or F1 do not work.
    Now I cannot get past this screen haha.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Are you sure the keyboard is good? The Veriton X498G just uses an Del to enter the BIOS, so it shouldn't be an issue. Once you get into the BIOS you can set the time and date and save to get rid of the beeps.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ccoggins

Tinkerer

Yeah, the Keyboard is fine. I am using it to type this message to you.
    I only have one at the house so I am swapping it between the two PCs.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @ccoggins
    Have you ever used the F12 key for Bootmenu before? 

I hope you are not having the same problem that I had with my Acer PC when new. The keyboard seemed to be good except the F12 key. Just because the keyboard seemed good, and it took me several days to replace it with a generic keyboard to find out only the F12 key was bad.

That checksum error probably can be eliminated with a fresh CR2032 battery.
  • ccoggins

Tinkerer

Hello @ttttt
    The F12 key is fine on this keyboard I can use it to boot into my current boot menu on this PC.
    I did try replacing the CMOS battery with a couple of different CR2032 batteries.

I am currently at work so I cannot test, but I have left the Acer PC unplugged with the battery out all night so I can try and test it again later.
    I am starting to suspect maybe I have a bad BIOS or CMOS.

I ordered a new motherboard last night so if I cannot get this one to work I will hopefully have something that works before Christmas.
  • billsey
    Good luck and keep us informed. Those oldies can sometimes be a real pain, that someone else gave up on. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ccoggins

Tinkerer

I will try and remember to write back if I get it figured out.
    My instincts are telling me it is a bad bios or cmos. I ended up ordering a "new" motherboard off ebay.
    I am going to swap that in as soon as it gets here.

I will probably play with this board to see if I can get it to work so I have a spare or possibly re-sell.
  • ccoggins

Tinkerer

Just a quick update. I was able to resolve my issue.
    I bought a second motherboard thinking I had messed up the first one.
    It ended up being my Keyboard. I had to go out and buy a Keyboard with a PS/2 connector.
    The USB one was only detectable when in Windows and I could not get it to detect the keyboard prior to Windows being loaded so pressing F2 or DEL or F12 when the PC was booting would not work.

I bought a PS/2 keyboard and everything just worked. I am currently working on the bios on that PC as I type this.
    I am not sure if a USB to PS/2 adapter would have worked and I didn't want to chance it. 
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @ccoggins
    My retired very old PC using USB keyboard  with had  a similar situation that only after bootup to Windows environment that it will work properly. With direct PS/2 connection and PS/2 keyboard  I was able to access Boot Menu to select booting from Windows or Linux.

By the way, your PC is rather old, there may be more problems in the future. Maybe it is time to start looking for a new PC.
  • ccoggins

Tinkerer

@ttttt
    This is actually going to be turned into a Plex Server for my parents.
    My dad has a huge DVD collection he wants to get rid of but still wants all the movies.
    I was using it last night for the first time and it does pretty well. It will not transcode 4K but it does 1080.

I actually went on eBay and I found an i5-750 Quad-Core for $13 shipped so I am going to try and slap that in the system to see if I can run 4K video or at least allow for multiple streams. Running a single stream at 1080 runs the dual-core CPU at about 97%.

I have no idea if this Acer motherboard will support the CPU, but for $13 bucks I figured it was worth a shot.
    My Plex server is now a Synology DS718+ (I wanted to downsize to minimize the electricity usage. It does not run 4K video either) My old Plex Server was an AMD 8350FX which ran everything perfect. I might eventually go back to it. My new PC is an AMD 3900X but I built this for my job so I could run a bunch of virtual environments.

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions!
  • billsey
    Which CPU did it come with? The Lynnfield i5-750 should work, unless there's not enough cooling... Are you doing your network through a wired connection? What speed? Network speed is critical in streaming at higher resolutions.
  • ccoggins

Tinkerer

edited January 2021
    @billsey
    The computer is an i3-550 Dual-Core 3.20GHz
    I think the cooling should be good as I did upgrade the heatsink and fan.
    I am doing a wired connection and it is a gigabit connection.

I do know the network should be fine because I can run 4K video off my old PlexServer without any issues.
  • billsey
    OK, the i3-550 has a power need of 73W, the i5-750 95W IIRC. That difference shouldn't make a difference, but monitor the temps just in case.