Should the TC 885 Support 3 Monitors

MRH_NJT
MRH_NJT Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
Hello!

We can only get our 885 to support 2 monitors - in any combination of the output ports!

Should it support 3, I think? With the on board graphics?

Has anyone else actually got 3 monitors working?

Is it a power supply issue?

Any other suggestions?

Many thanks.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    When you have a GPU installed in the system the onboard ports are disabled, so you'd need a GPU with three ports to do three monitors (without resorting to a USB dock). Without a GPU you should be able to use all three ports on the MB.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MRH_NJT
    Thanks for the reply.

We've not added a dedicated GPU yet - as we've read that the PSU is to weak to support a decent card.

With the onboard graphics ports, we can only get any 2 working at a time!

I've looked in the bios and I can't see any settings that might be limiting it.

The software driver tells me that the card supports 3....

Any other ideas?
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @MRH_NJT
    My TC-885-UA91 supports three monitors. I use the VGA and one HDMI port to support two 1920 x 1080 monitors . The other HDMI connected to a 4K TV. The three devices are all on frequently. 

Are all three ports working right separately ? Or just one bad port?
  • billsey
    Yes, is the bad one a specific port, or is it that any two ports work and it's always whatever you choose as the third that fails?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MRH_NJT
    We can make any combination of 2 ports work at any time - which is very confusing!
  • billsey
    That is so weird... I can't think of any reason for it. Let me do a broadcast to some of the other Aces and see if anyone else has ideas.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    I think ttttt  and MRH_NJT  should compare each other's monitor specs. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @MRH_NJT
    Yeah, that should not be the case if MRH_NJT's PC is actually TC-885 ( do not know the sub-model number).
    Like I mentioned before, I have two 1920 x 1080 Acer monitors and one LG 4K TV all connected to the ports and can turn any one on or off at my choice.

I can only think of three reasons:

1) Even though new PCs such as the TC-895 models and my TC-885 use the Intel UHD 630 on board graphics, the TC-895 models only have two HDMI ports. Would it be something like that only supporting two monitors.

2) The shared memory of UHD 630 is not enough to support three devices, but in the BIOS there is no such setting for on-board graphics memory allocation.

3) I know some graphics cards will not allow both HDMI and DVI ports both alive at the same time. Is it possible that MRH_NJT used a HDMI to DVI adapter and use the DVI to connect to the monitor?
  • Have you checked this setting too?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)