CPU upgrade needed Acer E1-531

CosminF
CosminF Member Posts: 3 New User
edited December 2020 in Legacy Laptops and Netbooks
Hello,

I would like to upgrade the CPU on Acer E1-531-20206G50Mnks.
Motherboard: EA50_HC_CR 
Socket: 988B rPGA
CPU: Intel Pentium 2020M  35W    Core Speed: 1197.14MHz
Chipset: Ivy Bridge Rev.09
Southbridge: HM70
Cache:
L1D: 32KB x2
L1I: 32KB x2
L2: 256KB
L3: 2MB
I need to use the laptop to learn programming.

Can you please provide a list of compatible CPUs?

Thank you. 

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Since your model of the Aspire E1-531 has the Ivy Bridge 2020M processor, you can upgrade to any of the 3rd Generation Ivy Bridge mobile processor that has the same TDP of 35W. That means the top end would likely be an i7-3540M, 3.0GHz dual core, four thread or possibly an i7-3632QM 2.2GHz quad core eight thread. Your system supports DDR3 1066 or 1333 up to a maximum of 8GB using two SO-DIMMs (note the 1.5V DDR3, not the 1.35V DDR3L). A matched pair of memory sticks gets you dual channel mode for additional speed over one stick or mismatched sizes. Your 666MHz is actually 1333 with the doubled bus width. Note also that you'll get a bigger performance boost from putting an SSD in to replace the HDD. Your system came with Windows 7 SP1 and an upgrade to Windows 8, so it's using a UEFI boot and should work with Windows 10, unless there are drivers that haven't been updated. In that case the Windows Update Assistant will tell you.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• CosminF
    Can you please also let me know if I can upgrade to 8GB RAM of higher frequency?
    Currently running 4GB DDR3, 665MHz. And cannot find a matching pair for it to purchase. 
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Since your model of the Aspire E1-531 has the Ivy Bridge 2020M processor, you can upgrade to any of the 3rd Generation Ivy Bridge mobile processor that has the same TDP of 35W. That means the top end would likely be an i7-3540M, 3.0GHz dual core, four thread or possibly an i7-3632QM 2.2GHz quad core eight thread. Your system supports DDR3 1066 or 1333 up to a maximum of 8GB using two SO-DIMMs (note the 1.5V DDR3, not the 1.35V DDR3L). A matched pair of memory sticks gets you dual channel mode for additional speed over one stick or mismatched sizes. Your 666MHz is actually 1333 with the doubled bus width. Note also that you'll get a bigger performance boost from putting an SSD in to replace the HDD. Your system came with Windows 7 SP1 and an upgrade to Windows 8, so it's using a UEFI boot and should work with Windows 10, unless there are drivers that haven't been updated. In that case the Windows Update Assistant will tell you.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • CosminF
    edited December 2020
    billsey said:

Thank you so much for your help! 
  • veeru007
    veeru007 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I'm upgraded to i3 2350m  but it's turn off at 30 min . i think chipset not supported. I'm read this board supported up to maximum pentium 2030  if any one want to know is it support for this chipset and make sure it's turn off or not without any error message . if any one have idea to stop automatic turn off at 30 min time...
  • billsey
    It sounds like maybe you didn't get a good thermalpaste coat. Check to see what the CPU temperature is at.
  • Brian214
    Brian214 Member Posts: 1 New User
    billsey said:
    hi bellsey!

can you recommend me also to what type to upgrade my laptop. It's kinda outdated but I want to upgrade the best out of it hehe hope you can help me out :)

System Model: Acer E1-531-10052G32Mnks
    Motherboard: EA50_HC_CR
    Operating System: Windows 8 Single Language 64-bit (6.2,Build 9200)
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005 @ 1.90GHz (2CPUs), ~1.9Ghz
    Memory: 2GB DDR3
    Chipset: Intel(R) 7 Series Chipset Family SATA ACHI
    Socket:( I can't find it hehe)

One more thing though, as I search online about the memory capacity in regards to my unit most of the articles I've read was only 2 slots available for each unit. But when I checked my laptop in task manager, I had found out that only 1 slot was used out of 4. Does it mean that I can 4GB each slot? or it just 2GB per slot?. 

P.S
    Some terms is kinda lost me out of nowhere haha 
    Thank you in advance. :)

• billsey
    There are only two physical sockets, the chipset supports four but that is typically only used in desktops. What type and size drive do you have? By far the biggest improvement for an older laptop like this is to replace the HDD with a SSD. Next is a memory upgrade to at least 4GB and maybe to the full 8GB. Only last do you look at going up on the processor, likely to an i7-2620M or i7-2640M. New memory should be DDR3 (not DDR3L) 1333 4GB SODIMM sticks. If you are going to be dropping a SSD in then pick up an external SATA enclosure and plug the new drive into one of your USB ports. Clone the internal drive to the external, allowing the cloning software to expand the system partition (C: drive) only. Once the cloning is complete shut down and remove the old HDD to install the new SSD. Once you are up and running on the SSD you can put the HDD into the external case then use Disk Management to wipe everything off and reformat it as a data drive.