Unable to cleanly uninstall norton antivirus that comes pre-installed :(

kartz
kartz Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Norton bloatware in the name of anti-virus that comes pre-installed with your laptop is one unwarranted pain. Norton is a notorious rogue software that fails to get uninstalled cleanly. Even Norton's own software (RnR.exe) meant to cleanse the system post its un-installation, fails to do what it supposed to do. I hate it when a laptop comes with a bloatware that I can't uninstall.

I appreciate your inputs on how to get rid of this bloatware so that I can install my choice of anti-virus.

Answers

• Press windows + r and type msconfig. Go to services, hide microsoft services and check if there are any norton services disabled. If it is disabled, activate it and then restart windows. Then uninstall norton antivirus.

Also check if there are any norton services here:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • kartz
    egydiocoelho Thanks for your inputs. Those areas look clean on my laptop.
  • kartz
    @egydiocoelho I do see "C:\Program Files\Common Files\AV\Norton Security Ultra\" directory having "Upgrade.exe". When I try to delete this folder, I get an error mesage saying that it is used by another program. :(
  • Does the norton icon appear here?

If it appears, click on exit or disable norton.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited August 2020
    kartz forget norton antivirus its complete bloatware/rubbish as you say and very very well  if youre just a normal user defender and common sense its enough but if you need more try nod32+superantispyware thats the best combo i have been using for so many years and to completely uninstall any software properly use youruninstaller or similar to completely remove everything even unused reg keys windows uninstaller leaves traces and leftovers of everything and may cause serious registry issues in the future also search for the upgrade.exe on the task manager details tab and kill the process good luck :)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• Can you send some screenshots of the files that are available on the usb stick (erecovery)?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Straightup
    Straightup Member Posts: 1 New User
    kartz said:
    Norton bloatware in the name of anti-virus that comes pre-installed with your laptop is one unwarranted pain. Norton is a notorious rogue software that fails to get uninstalled cleanly. Even Norton's own software (RnR.exe) meant to cleanse the system post its un-installation, fails to do what it supposed to do. I hate it when a laptop comes with a bloatware that I can't uninstall.

I appreciate your inputs on how to get rid of this bloatware so that I can install my choice of anti-virus.
    I realize this is an old comment, however I thought I'd leave some info for anyone who might be able to use it in the future.

Regarding Norton, McAfee, and bloatware in general on your new laptop. The best thing you can do is just make a clean installation of your OS. You won't be able to do that with your "Recover" partition unortunately, because that just restores you to how the computer was when you first brought it home - ie., full of crapware. Keep in mind also that, depending on the laptop mfg, you will have a varying amount of proprietary junk that you need to get rid of as well. Dell is notorious for this - with 2 dozen or so of proprietary "Dell" branded utilities that are a bunch of bloat. Lenovos have done a total 180 and include almost no bloat at all - not even an anti-virus, because although some gaming laptops advertise "no bloatware", they might have a low amount, but almost all of them include the BS nagware that is Norton Antivirus\Internet Security\etc.

Bottom line, save up a couple of bucks and go buy an OEM copy of Windows 10. Before wiping your drive and installing fresh, be sure to visit your mfg's driver page and download only the essential drivers. Format your disk and install new. I swear my computers are almost twice as fast as other people who have the same machine, but also have all the ***** leeching their system resources.

Next, to keep a tight ship, forget about the Start Up tab in Task Manager. Go to Microsoft and download "SysInternals Autoruns", or find it on Google. It is the single most comprehensive listing of every single solitary item that runs when your computer starts. It is discontinued Microsoft freeware and still works on Windows 10. In fact, their is an entire suite of tools called "SysInternals" - and I would highly suggest "SysInternals Process Explorer and Process Manager". It is such an incredibly detailed piece of software it is amazing that it was never a commercial piece of software. I've been using it for years to make sure that bloatware, trial versions, software, or even Windows Update doesn't install some rogue service or place itself in Run key of your registry.

Last. Go download "Winaero Tweaker" and "O&O Shut Up 10". They are free and both have several tools that allow you to disable all of the circus ***** that comes with windows - ie., disable telemetry, data collection, ads, windows store, windows update, useless apps that you don't need like stock tickers, etc etc etc.

I have been using these for years and I kid you not, my computer is just as fast as the day I bought it, whereas 99% of the people who's computers I will inevitably end up fixing, especially laptops, after about 6 months seem to be about half as fast as they were on day one.

Also, as others mentioned, Windows built in virus protection is sufficient if you are not a complete ***** who clicks on weird little executables that come from people you don't know through an email. The actual threat of getting a computer virus is basically zero, depite the hype sold by McAfee and Norton and PC Magazine. Same with your browser - all you really need is Firefox and/or Chrome and Adblock. No virus or internet security bs that are supposedly anti-virus programs that actually act like a virus themselves, making them impossible to remove, attaching themselves to every single process your computer executes, including nagware when you don't pay with pop-ups to remind you to subscribe, and in general being a drain on system resources. All the major anti-virus programs are so sloppily written it's ridiculous. Avoid them like the plague. And if your computer has been infected by some trialware that came on your new laptop? Format the hard drive!