Can You Overclock PO3-600 with i5-9600K & RTX 2060? Predator Sense software doesn't have the option.

JoeLin2020
JoeLin2020 Member Posts: 8 New User
edited August 2023 in Predator Desktops
I heard that this cpu is overclock-able, but Predator Sense software doesn't have the option to do so. Thanks a lot.
[Edited the thread to add issue  detail]

Best Answer

• Frenzy4
    Frenzy4 Member Posts: 37 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited November 2020 Answer ✓
    Frenzy4 said:
    would need to have a z390 motherboard
    Thanks for the comment. Actually overclocking the CPU is a minor issue to me in comparison to its upgradability. Do you know if I can upgrade the CPU to an i9 one? I read a thread of yours and another thread asking about a similar issue. Since my Orion 3000 is already using a 95w cpu, does it mean that I can upgrade to the i9 9900kf, also a 95w CPU? 
    Hello, what motherboard do you have? If you are unsure you can download cpu-z and go to mainboard, then look at the manufacturer, model, and southbridge.

Yeah, I was wanting to upgrade my pc and didnt know much when I made that thread. Since then I have changed literally everything except for the actual case and front fan.
    I would not recommend you get a i9-9900k, 100%. That CPU is very demanding and requires a lot of cooling, even people using very good setups have trouble keeping it cool. I wanted to get that CPU but opted for a i7-9700k instead. If you have a microcenter near you, you can buy any CPU and they will let you return it no questions asked, used or not, within 15days. I would buy from them and test it out. If you are already using a i5-9600k then a i9-9900k would work after installing it no problems, but once you start pushing it is when you would see issues arise. They also make a regular non-k version that i would recommend you think about getting instead of the k version, if you are really set on that chip. The all core turbo boost would be lower on the nonk but if you look at benchmarks it really doesnt make that much of a difference, and would run a lot cooler and be a good upgrade.

I had a b360 motherboard and switched from a i5-8400 to a i7-9700f, it was a very good upgrade but then I wanted to get faster ram and the only way to do that was to get a z390 motherboard so I got a z390 mini itx one and it installed perfectly fine. I returned the 9700f I got for $190 and got a used open box 9700k from microcenter for $159, and got 3600mhz ram as well. The 9700f boosts all cores to 4.4ghz, where the 9700k boosts all cores to 4.6ghz when it is stock. The difference is not noticeable and I have looked at benchmarks comparing 4.6 to 5.0, it does a little better but runs way hotter and not worth it to me to overclock it. I would imagine the 9900 nonk would run at 4.6 all cores or 4.5, which would be very good and big upgrade still, while running way cooler. If you do upgrade just sell your i5 on ebay, as they go for a lot of money on there for some reason

Answers

• Frenzy4
  • JoeLin2020
    Frenzy4 said:
    Thanks for the comment. Actually overclocking the CPU is a minor issue to me in comparison to its upgradability. Do you know if I can upgrade the CPU to an i9 one? I read a thread of yours and another thread asking about a similar issue. Since my Orion 3000 is already using a 95w cpu, does it mean that I can upgrade to the i9 9900kf, also a 95w CPU? 
  • Frenzy4
    edited November 2020 Answer ✓
    Frenzy4 said:
    Hello, what motherboard do you have? If you are unsure you can download cpu-z and go to mainboard, then look at the manufacturer, model, and southbridge.

Yeah, I was wanting to upgrade my pc and didnt know much when I made that thread. Since then I have changed literally everything except for the actual case and front fan.
    I would not recommend you get a i9-9900k, 100%. That CPU is very demanding and requires a lot of cooling, even people using very good setups have trouble keeping it cool. I wanted to get that CPU but opted for a i7-9700k instead. If you have a microcenter near you, you can buy any CPU and they will let you return it no questions asked, used or not, within 15days. I would buy from them and test it out. If you are already using a i5-9600k then a i9-9900k would work after installing it no problems, but once you start pushing it is when you would see issues arise. They also make a regular non-k version that i would recommend you think about getting instead of the k version, if you are really set on that chip. The all core turbo boost would be lower on the nonk but if you look at benchmarks it really doesnt make that much of a difference, and would run a lot cooler and be a good upgrade.

I had a b360 motherboard and switched from a i5-8400 to a i7-9700f, it was a very good upgrade but then I wanted to get faster ram and the only way to do that was to get a z390 motherboard so I got a z390 mini itx one and it installed perfectly fine. I returned the 9700f I got for $190 and got a used open box 9700k from microcenter for $159, and got 3600mhz ram as well. The 9700f boosts all cores to 4.4ghz, where the 9700k boosts all cores to 4.6ghz when it is stock. The difference is not noticeable and I have looked at benchmarks comparing 4.6 to 5.0, it does a little better but runs way hotter and not worth it to me to overclock it. I would imagine the 9900 nonk would run at 4.6 all cores or 4.5, which would be very good and big upgrade still, while running way cooler. If you do upgrade just sell your i5 on ebay, as they go for a lot of money on there for some reason

• JoeLin2020
    Frenzy4 said:
    Frenzy4 said:

Hi, so much thanks for the helpful sharing! <3 My PC also has the b360 board. So I would opt for 9900 then when I upgrade. :3

• Frenzy4
    Frenzy4 said:
    Frenzy4 said:

Hi, so much thanks for the helpful sharing! <3 My PC also has the b360 board. So I would opt for 9900 then when I upgrade. :3

No problem.
    Yeah, you should only buy non K processors since you have a b360 then, I really wish I had bought the 9900 non K myself when I had a b360 board to test out, I would've been able to tell you 100% how it would've gone. I actually made threads on some forums asking if the 9900 would run well on the motherboard and the responses were very mixed, with people leaning towards it being too much for it to handle, but I honestly think it would work fine. If it doesn't work out then just know a I7-9700f runs perfect on the b360, and is still very good.

Please make sure you get a new cpu cooler if you have not already, because a 9900, or any cpu to be honest, will run hot on the stock intel cooler the predator orion comes with. I changed mine to a noctua NH-DL9 and temps never go above ~70c on full load with a i7-9700k (stock). When I had the stock intel cooler my temps would go above 80c always, with the i5-8400 it came with. I would bet you are getting 80 at least right now if you are on stock, which is fine, but once you get a better processor with more cores/threads, it will run way hotter. 
  • Frenzy4
    Frenzy4 said:
    Frenzy4 said:

Please make sure you upgrade your CPU cooler if you havent already btw!

• JoeLin2020
    Frenzy4 said:
    Frenzy4 said:
    Frenzy4 said:

Oh thanks for the reminder! Which cooler did you get to replace the old one? Does nh-l12s (70 mm x 128 mm x 146 mm) fit into the tower?
  • Frenzy4
    Frenzy4 said:
    Frenzy4 said:
    Frenzy4 said:

Oh thanks for the reminder! Which cooler did you get to replace the old one? Does nh-l12s (70 mm x 128 mm x 146 mm) fit into the tower?

I used a Noctua NH-D9L, it was plug and play, but you will have to remove the motherboard to install the bracket. The NH-D9L is 110mm tall. I would say you could only go 20mm taller that that, width depends on the motherboard I believe and since I am on a Mini itx motherboard now, it would be different. I would look up reviews and see which of these would be better and buy the winner, but overall I am happy with the one I got
  • JoeLin2020
    Frenzy4 said:
    Frenzy4 said:
    Frenzy4 said:
    Frenzy4 said:

I used a Noctua NH-D9L, it was plug and play, but you will have to remove the motherboard to install the bracket. The NH-D9L is 110mm tall. I would say you could only go 20mm taller that that, width depends on the motherboard I believe and since I am on a Mini itx motherboard now, it would be different. I would look up reviews and see which of these would be better and buy the winner, but overall I am happy with the one I got

Sorry I've overlooked you said that in another thread. Thanks and I will check that!
  • Frenzy4
    Frenzy4 said:
    Frenzy4 said:
    Frenzy4 said:
    Frenzy4 said:

Sorry I've overlooked you said that in another thread. Thanks and I will check that!
      The NH-D9L also allows a second fan (three if you have space on other cases) to be added to the heatsink if you want to. I just installed the second fan on top of my ram sticks, and it helped cool my CPU by 7c with it. With the l12s you wouldnt be able to add another fan in the future, the d9l also comes with the bracket needed for the 2nd fan to be added. I would just get it and the add the other fan if you find you need more help

• JoeLin2020
    Frenzy4 said:
    Frenzy4 said:
    Frenzy4 said:
    Frenzy4 said:
    Frenzy4 said:

The NH-D9L also allows a second fan (three if you have space on other cases) to be added to the heatsink if you want to. I just installed the second fan on top of my ram sticks, and it helped cool my CPU by 7c with it. With the l12s you wouldnt be able to add another fan in the future, the d9l also comes with the bracket needed for the 2nd fan to be added. I would just get it and the add the other fan if you find you need more help

I'm hesitant about choosing NH-D9L because of this thread in another forum. Do you think NH-D9L together with a second fan than is better than NH-L12S? I just start learning PC building and am really concerned about the heat generated by i9 nonk cpu especially since this pc comes with a rather small case.

• Frenzy4
    Frenzy4 said:
    Frenzy4 said:
    Frenzy4 said:
    Frenzy4 said:
    Frenzy4 said:

I'm hesitant about choosing NH-D9L because of this thread in another forum. Do you think NH-D9L together with a second fan than is better than NH-L12S? I just start learning PC building and am really concerned about the heat generated by i9 nonk cpu especially since this pc comes with a rather small case.

the D9L with a 2nd fan would be way better than a L12S. the L12s is rated at 95w from noctua themselves, while the D9L with is rated over 100 already it seems (140 when i saw, not sure if thats with 1 fan or two though).
    I didn't know anything about building computers as well last month, but then got a 3070 gpu and learned how bottlenecked it got, so then I started upgrading everything little by little, gaining a lot of interest in it since im bored and corona is happening lol.

For reference, I am running a i7-9700k overclocked at 4.9ghz on all cores and getting better temps than I was with the stock cooler and i5-8400 that came with my orion. The stock cooler had my cpu over 80 always when I was going near full load I remember lol.

Also, I was bored and curious today so I took off the 2nd fan from the D9L and put put it on the front instead. The noise difference is night and day and cooling seems WAY better as well for my GPU. The stock front fan is 80mm only, but its very loud when it ramps up. The 92mm fan I swapped it out with is kinda pointless size wise though, because the holes on the fan placement dont cover the full 92mm, I think I might get a drill to solve this though lol. Eother way i am going to buy another fan now. Before I swapped out the stock front fan my nvidia 3070 FE would reach 80-81c under full load on pubg and be SO LOUD, when I tested it my GPU never reached over 77c, which isnt much, but the gpu's fans arent going over 60% speed, where before they would be 80%+ and incredibly loud. Just something to remember if you ever want more cooling or upgrade to a GPU that uses more power in the future to help
  • JoeLin2020
    Frenzy4 said:

the D9L with a 2nd fan would be way better than a L12S. the L12s is rated at 95w from noctua themselves, while the D9L with is rated over 100 already it seems (140 when i saw, not sure if thats with 1 fan or two though).
    I didn't know anything about building computers as well last month, but then got a 3070 gpu and learned how bottlenecked it got, so then I started upgrading everything little by little, gaining a lot of interest in it since im bored and corona is happening lol.

For reference, I am running a i7-9700k overclocked at 4.9ghz on all cores and getting better temps than I was with the stock cooler and i5-8400 that came with my orion. The stock cooler had my cpu over 80 always when I was going near full load I remember lol.

Also, I was bored and curious today so I took off the 2nd fan from the D9L and put put it on the front instead. The noise difference is night and day and cooling seems WAY better as well for my GPU. The stock front fan is 80mm only, but its very loud when it ramps up. The 92mm fan I swapped it out with is kinda pointless size wise though, because the holes on the fan placement dont cover the full 92mm, I think I might get a drill to solve this though lol. Either way i am going to buy another fan. My gpu before get 81c right away at full load. When I tested today it didnt go over 77c, which isnt much but the fan speeds on the GPU isnt as high so it really helps with noise

Yo that sounds great. So you have mounted the D9L and mount another fan on top of that, and have replaced the rear fan? Can you tell me exactly which fans did you install so I might take a reference?

• Frenzy4
    Frenzy4 said:

Also, I was bored and curious today so I took off the 2nd fan from the D9L and put put it on the front instead. The noise difference is night and day and cooling seems WAY better as well for my GPU. The stock front fan is 80mm only, but its very loud when it ramps up. The 92mm fan I swapped it out with is kinda pointless size wise though, because the holes on the fan placement dont cover the full 92mm, I think I might get a drill to solve this though lol. Either way i am going to buy another fan. My gpu before get 81c right away at full load. When I tested today it didnt go over 77c, which isnt much but the fan speeds on the GPU isnt as high so it really helps with noise

Yo that sounds great. So you have mounted the D9L and mount another fan on top of that, and have replaced the rear fan? Can you tell me exactly which fans did you install so I might take a reference?

Yeah of course. I will link you everything I have. The extra fan on the cooler is mounted on the side, on top of the ram btw.

The rear exhaust fan- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016XWZ5SK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . This was the first fan I bought because someone on here said they had it and I wanted to make sure it worked on our computer. To be honest I wish I had a noctua instead, haha. I would just buy 3 noctua fans if I were you instead. They are very quiet and work very good, i have also heard great things about arctic fans, which are cheaper.

• JoeLin2020
    Frenzy4 said:
    Frenzy4 said:

Yeah of course. I will link you everything I have. The extra fan on the cooler is mounted on the side, on top of the ram btw.

The rear exhaust fan- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016XWZ5SK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . This was the first fan I bought because someone on here said they had it and I wanted to make sure it worked on our computer. To be honest I wish I had a noctua instead, haha. I would just buy 3 noctua fans if I were you instead. They are very quiet and work very good, i have also heard great things about arctic fans, which are cheaper.

Hey thanks a lot that's very kind of you!!!! <3 amma check them out and hope to get this machine stay more future proof!
  • Frenzy4
    Frenzy4 said:
    Frenzy4 said:

Hey thanks a lot that's very kind of you!!!! <3 amma check them out and hope to get this machine stay more future proof!

No problem, lmk if you need help with anything.

I also ended up ditching my i7-9700k and getting a i9-9900k btw. I am running it stock with no overclock and its working good. Temps are fine and normal, probably +7c higher than with my 9700k. the 9900k will run a little hotter than the regular 9900 so it'll be good for sure to get.

I would definitely recommend getting the d9l with an extra fan added to it at the least though. If I tried to only use the d9l cooler without replacing the case fans and adding an extra cpu fan, it would be running at 100c for sure (I am getting 86c in a harsh stress test atm). The extra fan on the D9L improved temperatures by +10c. Replacing the front case fan only made the CPU improve by +5c degrees.

I replaced my rear exhaust fan when I first got my pc so I never tested using the one that it came with, but it came with a 80mm fan and I replaced it with a 92mm fan. I feel a lot of hot air coming out the back when I am gaming so I am sure it helped a lot since its bigger. I would recommend Noctua fans because they are VERY quiet and good.
  • Frenzy4
    Frenzy4 said:
    Frenzy4 said:

No problem.
    Yeah, you should only buy non K processors since you have a b360 then, I really wish I had bought the 9900 non K myself when I had a b360 board to test out, I would've been able to tell you 100% how it would've gone. I actually made threads on some forums asking if the 9900 would run well on the motherboard and the responses were very mixed, with people leaning towards it being too much for it to handle, but I honestly think it would work fine.

Please make sure you get a new cpu cooler if you have not already, because a 9900, or any cpu to be honest, will run hot on the stock intel cooler the predator orion comes with. I changed mine to a noctua NH-DL9 and temps never go above ~70c on full load with a i7-9700k (stock). When I had the stock intel cooler my temps would go above 80c always, with the i5-8400 it came with. I would bet you are getting 80 at least right now if you are on stock, which is fine, but once you get a better processor with more cores/threads, it will run way hotter. 
  • Leidenfrost
    Leidenfrost Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi @Frenzy4, apologies for necro'ing this old thread but I have a PO3-600 and am interested in getting the same cooling setup you described. You mentioned that the second CPU fan is positioned above your RAM; can you clarify what RAM you have? I have four 34mm sticks and am hoping this will still fit. Thanks in advance!