Not able to find configuration tab in BIOS Menu in Acer Aspire 7

Ankush_Bakshi
Ankush_Bakshi Member Posts: 5 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi there,

I recently downloaded and installed latest windows 10 updates on my ACER ASPIRE 7 laptop. Since then, my operating system is unable to detect my GPU (nvidia) graphics card. I does not show in DEVICE MANAGER. I did some research and figured out that I need to change GPU settings to discrete in BIOS configuration menu. The issue is, I am not able to see the configuration section on BIOS after I press F2.

Please help me resolve this issue, any leads will be appreciated.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    In the BIOS main or advanced tab, press Ctrl+S to reveal hidden options. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Ankush_Bakshi
    Hi Jack, 

Thanks for the information, i tried with ctrl+s in main/advanced, but still cant see gpu change option
  • JackE
    What is your full Aspire 7 model number? For example, A715-51g? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Ankush_Bakshi
    Hi Jack,

my full Aspire 7 model is ASPIRE A715-75G
  • JackE
    Open Control Panel. Search 'restore point'. Click 'create a restore point'. In the box that pops up is System Protection turned on? If yes, click System Restore button. Click next. Do you see a restore point with a datestamp that coincides when the nvidia gpu disappeared? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Ankush_Bakshi
    Hi Jack,

Thanks for your comments,  I do see a restore point and i think it does coincide with the time from when i have started facing gpu issues, shall i restore the system till that date stamp?
  • JackE
    Absolutely. Do it quickly just in case the restore point is automatically deleted  by future updates that don't yet address the problem. This is a common problem for the new unimproved Win10 lifecycle policies.  If the gpu reappears, then you will probably want to temporarily block the errant update from re-loading with Windows update hide tool https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026726/windows-hide-windows-updates-or-driver-updates

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Ankush_Bakshi
    Worked like a dream, thanks for all your help!! :)
  • JackE
    Make sure System Protection is still turned on. An interim update will sometimes sneak in there when you're not looking and turned it off.  I usually set my wifi with metered connectjon turned on so this is less likely to happen. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ