Ram Upgrade for Aspire xc-895

Options
Alex85
Alex85 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
Hello.

I'm intending to upgrade the 8gb ddr4 ram in my Aspire xc-895 to 32gb using a 2x16gb kit. More than likely Corsair Vengence. There are lots of different speed option 2400mhz, 3000mhz, etc. I'm not sure if there are any specifics I need to pay attention to? I don't want to get caught out buying a kit that will have compatibility issues or just be wrong. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    edited November 2020
    Options
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Options
    Any speed memory you choose will run at the 2133MHz chipset speed, so no gain by buying something more expensive.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • willkirkham
    willkirkham Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Options
    my 8gb ddr4 3200 as fitted by acer runs at 2666..not sure if that helps?
  • billsey
    Options
    @willkirkham do you have the exact same model? I'd expect yours to me a newer one if it's running at 2666 now.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Alex85
    Alex85 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Not sure if these help.
  • willkirkham
    willkirkham Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey said:
    @willkirkham do you have the exact same model? I'd expect yours to me a newer one if it's running at 2666 now.

yes I believe mine is the newer model, still 3200 should run a 3200 not 2666?
  • billsey
    Options
    No, the speed the memory runs at is determined by the chipset, not the memory. If the chipset runs at 2666 and you put 3200 in, the 3200 just runs at 2666.
  • kqian111
    kqian111 Member Posts: 37 Troubleshooter
    Options
    billsey said:
    No, the speed the memory runs at is determined by the chipset, not the memory. If the chipset runs at 2666 and you put 3200 in, the 3200 just runs at 2666.
    What if you put in a slower memory than the chipset? Will it overclock the memory to the chipset or drop to the lowest common denominator?
  • billsey
    Options
    Nope, if slower than the chipset supports (and the chipset usually supports two speeds) it won't work at all.