High CPU clockspeed while idling but instantly low after launching game aspire 5

Bloomer
Bloomer Member Posts: 35 Troubleshooter
edited December 2020 in Aspire Laptops
<b>hello i have an aspire 5 a514-53 and i having this problem where my laptop cpu clockspeed when idling is at >3ghz but when i launch a game it went below 1ghz. its affecting the performance so its bother me a lot. its like a reverse turbo boost .</b>
<b><br></b>
<b>laptop: https://www.acer.com/datasheets/2020/4876/A514-53G/NX.HYZSM.001.html<br></b>

Best Answer

• Bloomer
    Answer ✓
    Hello guys been a while and here i am coming back with solution (at least it works for me)
    *Note that this will void your warranty but its a small price for fps
    1.Download this 2 apps : 1.Asus GPU tweak 2.Throttlestop
    2.in asus gpu tweak only change the temp limit for my laptop it was factory set to 71 celcius so if your laptop go beyond 71 the gpu will reduce its workload to cool down absolute disaster for fps
    3.in throttle stop im gonna leave this few image just set it just like i did

4. Hit the FIVR setting in throttlestop and set for the CPU core offset voltage to -125 and CPU cache should be the same and for the intel GPU set it around -100 for offset voltage and on the right side tick the disable and lock power limit

5.Hit the TPL setting and change the turbo boost power limits to 45 

6.It should be done by now and dont forget to turn on the throttle stop as you can see in the first pic at the bottom side make sure it shows turn off(it means u already hit turn on)

*So all of that just adjusting the limit that was factory set to be ridiculously low in this specific model
    *also note that throttlestop need to be launch manually after reboot or you can watch youtube videos on how to make it automatically start

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,430 Trailblazer
    Control Panel power plan must be set to high performance, battery near 100% charged and plugged in BEFORE starting heavy gaming power load. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Bloomer
    JackE said:
    Control Panel power plan must be set to high performance, battery near 100% charged and plugged in BEFORE starting heavy gaming power load. Jack E/NJ
    Well let say i done all the cliché things 
  • JackE
    How about the max processor states in advanced plan setting? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Bloomer
    JackE said:
    How about the max processor states in advanced plan setting? Jack E/NJ
    already at 100%

• JackE
    >>>High CPU clockspeed while idling but instantly low after launching game>>>

(1) Has it always behaved like this?
    (2) If not, about how long ago did it start behaving like this?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Bloomer
    At first i buy this laptop i have tons restriction on it 1st is gpu temp limit was set quite low but i fix it with asus gpu tweak app that allow me to crank up the temp limit. Next my laptop have an nvidia optimus feature which mean all processed data from my dedicated gpu must go through igpu and go the display, in short igpu is bottlenecking my dedicated gpu and my laptop only have 4gb of ram igpu is struggling but i upgrade the ram to 12gb now and that fix it. And here we are the cpu itself i didnt monitor my cpu before as i thoght the only problem is the gpu and igpu so i doubt the cpu would cause the problem before but now i just realize that the cpu itself has it own problem so i cant tell exactly when it happen or is it  been happening all along
  • JackE
    What happens when you untweak the GPU temp limit? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Bloomer
    Much worse 
  • JackE
    edited November 2020
    >>>3ghz but when i launch a game it went below 1ghz.>>>
    <br>
    Do you mean CPU drops below 1GHz? Jack E/NJ<br>

Jack E/NJ

• Bloomer
    Yep the clock speed is

• JackE
    >>>Yep the clock speed is>>>

What? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Bloomer
    JackE said:
    >>>Yep the clock speed is>>>

What? Jack E/NJ

this thing here, this is when idling its on full speed but in game only 0.3-0.6 ghz
  • JackE
    Frequency should be jumping around and well below 3.5GHz at idle. True idle should be ranging between 1-5%, most of the time, not 10%. Some other process is running in the background and driving that frequency. Do you have other tweakers or non-Microsoft scanners installed/running, like throttlestop, avg, macafee, malwarebytes, etc? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Bloomer
    No, no throttle stop, antivirus that screenshot i took right after boot up, even so if other application can run the cpu that high but why cpu went so low when gaming i doesn't make sense
  • DrieHarry
    DrieHarry Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited November 2020
    Hi, i bought the same laptop as yours with 8gb ram and expect to handle games as Valorant and R6 with no problem , but its not, all games i try has massive fps drop issue, my friend who has laptop with lower spec (mx150) can handle those games smoothly, i already tried reinstall the nvidia and the intel driver but the problems still persist, What fix have you done that worked?
  • Bloomer
    DrieHarry said:
    Hi, i bought the same laptop as yours with 8gb ram and expect to handle games as Valorant and R6 with no problem , but its not, all games i try has massive fps drop issue, my friend who has laptop with lower spec (mx150) can handle those games smoothly, is this problem still persist on yours? 
    Yes man i send to the acer partner shop and ask for them check why i have so bad performance and all they said was this laptop cannot handle games which make zero sense. I guess acer is the one to blame here as they made these laptop unable to play games. I guess its our loss this time and i will never buy acer product ever again
  • JackE
    Please show screenshot of Task Mgr startup tab. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Bloomer
    Here
  • JackE
    Why do you need DDU and nexus running all the time? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Bloomer
    Nexus is just a dock for my app for cosmetic closing it make zero difference either way for ddu i dont  what that is