120hz on PS5 not working (ACER Predator XB3 monitor)

Unlesson
Unlesson Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

I can not enable the 120hz setting (on 1080p) in Call of Duty: Black Ops - Cold War on my Acer 4K 144hz monitor. It will remain greyed out, whatever I try.

All the steps I took so far:
- Start the PS5 version of Cold War.
- Use the performance mode in the PS5 settings as default.
- Turn off HDR and Ray Tracing.
- Manually set the resolution at 1080p.

At this point I am starting to get worried that the HDMI-ports (2.0) of my Acer monitor are locked to 60hz. The exact model number of my monitor is: ACER Predator XB273KGPbmiipprzx .
I am aware of the fact that you need HDMI 2.1 for 120hz at 4K. However, HDMI 2.0 should be sufficient to get 120hz at 1080p working.

I am hoping that you guys have a suggestion to get 120hz working at 1080p on this monitor!

Answers

• prbrolltide
    prbrolltide Member Posts: 4 New User
    I’m having the same problem with my predator xb273k, it’s super frustrating. I’ve followed the same steps as you too 😫
  • Unlesson

Tinkerer

I found the problem: apparently the XB273k HDMI-output is limited at 60hz. Only way to get 120hz is via DP. This is nowhere stated in the manual or websites, but a reviewer on youtube mentioned it. I also tried to connect the monitor with the PS5 via an DP-to-HDMI-cable, but that didn't work.

It sucks that Acer limits its HDMI output on a $800 monitor to 60hz, while cheaper monitors of half the price are able to output 120hz (at 1080p) via HDMI.
  • prbrolltide
    prbrolltide Member Posts: 4 New User
    My buddy is using the Xbox one x and is able to get 120hz on his monitor (the same as mine, predator xb273k) over hdmi. It’s running at 1080 120hz. 
  • Unlesson

Tinkerer

Seriously interested in how your buddy managed to get that working!
  • xIper0
    xIper0 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Same problem here, but the paper says 56-144 hz.  Acer Predator xb3 
  • Unlesson

Tinkerer

Paper must be incorrect, or the HDMI-type is not supported by Sony at this moment.
    I recently purchased an active HDMI-to-DP adapter and I got 120hz working (at 1080p). So the monitor is connected through an displaycable, which is connected with  an adapter that has a HDMI output for the PS5 (including USB for powering the adapter).

However, such an adapter can only output 120hz at 1080p or 4K at 30hz. Therefore, this can only be used to get 120hz at 1080p. Which is fine for now, but still not sufficient in case Sony (might) supports 1440p in the future. You also have to manually remove the adapter to play 4k 60hz, which is a pain in the *ss. 

In the end I decided to order a new monitor for the PS5 (LG 27 GL850). This monitor accepts the 4K signal and scales it back to 1440p. It is also capable of 120hz 1080p though HDMI. If Sony might add 1440p in the future, it will be able to run native 1440p at 120hz. I think this is the best of both worlds at this time. Too bad that the acer monitor could not deliver the same results (at a much higher price-point).
  • MOHASEEB
    MOHASEEB Member Posts: 1 New User
    Unlesson said:
    Paper must be incorrect, or the HDMI-type is not supported by Sony at this moment.
    I recently purchased an active HDMI-to-DP adapter and I got 120hz working (at 1080p). So the monitor is connected through an displaycable, which is connected with  an adapter that has a HDMI output for the PS5 (including USB for powering the adapter).

However, such an adapter can only output 120hz at 1080p or 4K at 30hz. Therefore, this can only be used to get 120hz at 1080p. Which is fine for now, but still not sufficient in case Sony (might) supports 1440p in the future. You also have to manually remove the adapter to play 4k 60hz, which is a pain in the *ss. 

In the end I decided to order a new monitor for the PS5 (LG 27 GL850). This monitor accepts the 4K signal and scales it back to 1440p. It is also capable of 120hz 1080p though HDMI. If Sony might add 1440p in the future, it will be able to run native 1440p at 120hz. I think this is the best of both worlds at this time. Too bad that the acer monitor could not deliver the same results (at a much higher price-point).
    What hdmi to displayport did u buy. I can only find ones that run at 30hz  
  • Unlesson

Tinkerer

I did buy this adapter. The adapter supports 4Kx2K @ 30 Hz and 1920 x 1080 pixels @ 120 Hz. Therefore, it is only usefull to play 120hz @1080p.
  • Mabrego1love
    Mabrego1love Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited November 2020
    @Unlesson hope the new monitor works.FWIW, I have a Samsung 32chg70 and Alienware 2521HF, both play my Xbox series x and pc at 120hz over hdmi and neither works with ps5 at 120. There are already tons of people in the same boat. It’s a bummer. Hopefully Sony or monitor companies provide patch updates, because Xbox series x has no issues in this regard.

Also the Samsung accepts a 4k signal and is native 1440p 144hz hdmi 2.0 similar to your LG but still doesn’t allow 120hz on ps5.
  • Pyrium
    Pyrium Member Posts: 2 New User
    This stinks because I have my PC at 4K 120hz and Freesync over hdmi, my one x with 4K Freesync on hdmi, but my series x won’t do Freesync or 120hz over hdmi.
  • Pyrium
    Pyrium Member Posts: 2 New User
    Pyrium said:
    This stinks because I have my PC at 4K 120hz and Freesync over hdmi, my one x with 4K Freesync on hdmi, but my series x won’t do Freesync or 120hz over hdmi.
    Sorry HDMI is 2K 120hz.
  • Jan1979
    Jan1979 Member Posts: 3 New User
    so you guys are telling me i bought a monitor over 850 euro and i cant get it to work on 120 FPS on my PS5 ? Where i seriously explicitly bought it for ? im running the XB273KPG.   Using HDMI cable. But the 120 FPS still doesnt work with DP to HDMI ? 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    Apparently a lot of people are having difficulties with the PS5 and HDMI 2.0 monitors, it's not just an Acer thing.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Unlesson

Tinkerer

Jan1979 said:
    so you guys are telling me i bought a monitor over 850 euro and i cant get it to work on 120 FPS on my PS5 ? Where i seriously explicitly bought it for ? im running the XB273KPG.   Using HDMI cable. But the 120 FPS still doesnt work with DP to HDMI ? 
    This is exactly the reason why I sold my XB273. You can get 120hz at 1080p working with an active HDMI to DP converter. Note: an DP to HDMI converted does not work!. It has to be HDMI to DP and is has to be active (meaning is gets power from USB port), since the HDMI signal has to be converted to DP and this needs power. I used this one.

You can get 120hz at 1080p working with this adapter. However the 4K signal is limited to 30hz, meaning you are always limited to 1080p when the adapter is plugged in and you have to physically remove the adapter to game at 4K 60hz. Therefore, I didn't like this solution and decided to sell my monitor.

As mentioned before, I switched to the LG 27GL850. Review after a week of intensive use: the monitor accepts 4K signal and scales it back to 1440p (which almost looks like native 4K on a "27). The 120hz works like a charm on this monitor, without the need for any adapter! Ofcourse you are limited to 1080p at 120hz untill sony decides to natively support 1440p, then you will be able to play at 1440p 120hz. The only setting I miss from my Acer XB273KPG is the "super shaprness" mode (which I happened to like).
  • Jan1979
    Jan1979 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Unlesson said:
    Jan1979 said:
    This is exactly the reason why I sold my XB273. You can get 120hz at 1080p working with an active HDMI to DP converter. Note: an DP to HDMI converted does not work!. It has to be HDMI to DP and is has to be active (meaning is gets power from USB port), since the HDMI signal has to be converted to DP and this needs power. I used this one.

You can get 120hz at 1080p working with this adapter. However the 4K signal is limited to 30hz, meaning you are always limited to 1080p when the adapter is plugged in and you have to physically remove the adapter to game at 4K 60hz. Therefore, I didn't like this solution and decided to sell my monitor.

As mentioned before, I switched to the LG 27GL850. Review after a week of intensive use: the monitor accepts 4K signal and scales it back to 1440p (which almost looks like native 4K on a "27). The 120hz works like a charm on this monitor, without the need for any adapter! Ofcourse you are limited to 1080p at 120hz untill sony decides to natively support 1440p, then you will be able to play at 1440p 120hz. The only setting I miss from my Acer XB273KPG is the "super shaprness" mode (which I happened to like).
    its kinda ridiculous to be honest. Mailed a complaint to acer bout this. It is mentioned NOWHERE on their site the HDMI is locked at 2.0  But wont sell because i also use it for PC and cant find anything better then this at this price range.  Plus I just think its an amazing screen. Thanks very much about the adise ion the converter, i would have bought the wrong one haha
  • babsey
    babsey Member Posts: 2 New User
    Jan1979 said:
    Unlesson said:
    Jan1979 said:

its kinda ridiculous to be honest. Mailed a complaint to acer bout this. It is mentioned NOWHERE on their site the HDMI is locked at 2.0  But wont sell because i also use it for PC and cant find anything better then this at this price range.  Plus I just think its an amazing screen. Thanks very much about the adise ion the converter, i would have bought the wrong one haha
    Did this solution work for you? I bought an active HDMI to DP adapter and when checking the video output on the PS5 in settings it still said 60Hz (with performance mode on etc).
  • babsey
    babsey Member Posts: 2 New User
    Unlesson said:

I bought an active HDMI to DP adapter and I still can’t get it working. I bought this one for reference: 

HDMI to DisplayPort Adapter, BENFEI HDMI Input to DisplayPort Output Adapter Compatible with Laptop, XBox 360 One, PS4 PS3 and more https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0752D33PJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_tn31Fb8CM48EG

Any suggestions on how I can get it to work or if there’s a different one I should be buying?
  • PS5Player
    PS5Player Member Posts: 1 New User
    Unlesson said:
    I did buy this adapter. The adapter supports 4Kx2K @ 30 Hz and 1920 x 1080 pixels @ 120 Hz. Therefore, it is only usefull to play 120hz @1080p.
    Can you help explain to me how you managed to get 120 hz on your monitor. You bought this adapter, then used the HDMI 2.1 to HDM1 2.1 cable that came with the PS5, connected it to the HDMI TO DP adapter, then connected the DP end of the adapter to you monitor?

• SephiTrax
    SephiTrax Member Posts: 7 New User
    Hey guys!

I got the Predator X38p and I can't set the PS5 to 4k. 

It can only do 1080.

What gives?
  • Nickt83
    Nickt83 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I had the same problem but found a simple cheap fix to allow auto switching between 1080P 120hz and 4k 60hz through HDMI. I bought a HDMI 4K emulator off Amazon for $23 and just plug it inline on either side of the HDMI cable either on the PS5 or Monitor. Only draw back is you lose HDR, but the monitor still looks good with the built in HDR integration. Turn off your HDCP on you PS5 and put in performance mode and that's it. 

Check this out at Amazon
    EVanlak Hdmi Edid Emulator Passthrough 3rd Generrtion Premium Aluminum Eliminated Emulator Adapter Work with Mac Thunderbolt to HDMI Switches / Extender/AV Receiver 4k 3840x2160@60H https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YMTMMH5/ref=cm_sw_r_u_apa_glt_fabc_FZW5CXWYH2K6H9R5KGMF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1