Acer Aspire X3200 - Bios File size does not match-how to fix?

BagOBolts
BagOBolts Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited October 2019 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
I got a few problems with my old Acer Aspire X3200, I cannot enter bios menu by pressing ESC, what comes up instead is "AHCI BIOS is installed!!". If i remove all drives then press ESC again
it then says "ACHI BIOS is not installed!!". The board is a DA078L AM2, 8gb ram. I have removed the SSD for now and replaced Windows Vista onto HDD tos see if it were a driver error, Same thing happens there are only 2 bios downloads to choose from and booting from DOS gives me a "Size Does Not Match" error? ...But Boots into windows normally. I need to get into bios to boot from PCIe card, unfortunately unable to do so. I also tried removing CMOS battery to reset but that does nothing either!! Apart from kicking it any suggestions please? Oh and the bottom pic at the bottom where it says - press to enter set up - takes me to the first pic!!

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer
    Do you have a RAID controller installed? The AHCI BIOS isn't the motherboard, it's for a SATA controller.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • BagOBolts

Tinkerer

Thanks for replying, I don't have raid?? I don't know what's changed or how to put it right! :( . I managed to flash bios using DOS , still didn't change anything. The only thing I changed on the PC was connecting a sata HDD where the broken optical drive was but didn't actually configure anything. I put everything back to stock but still can't get to bios!
  • billsey
    At the point where your last picture is showing (Press F1 to continue) what happens when you press the DEL key?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • BagOBolts

Tinkerer

Hi billsey , after I press DEL key it goes back to the page where it states "ACHI BIOS is installed!!". Thank you very much for taking you time to reply, I am now at stage where I am going to buy a new PC. The PS /2 mouse has now stopped working! , I think the board is on its way out. The age of the PC is well against it! I ain't spending any more time with it.
    Thanks again!
  • billsey
    Sounds like you are making a wise choice. :)
  • uay
    uay Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the same problem :((
    Who knows how to fix?
  • billsey
    @uay please start a new thread with your problem. Include your full  model number, which BIOS is installed now and which you are trying to install, which OS you are running and why you are trying to do the update in the first place.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @BagOBolts
    @uay
    I agree that you should change for a new PC, however, if you change the CMOS battery, you may see less problems for this old one.
  • jarlab
    jarlab Member Posts: 1 New User
    Had this exact issue, after a week of pain found the cause - the RAM. I upgraded from 4gb to 8gb and this is when the bios entry issue started. Not clear whether its the fact that 8gb isnt formally supported by the motherboard/bios or if my ram is faulty (i bought used RAM). In any case replacing with my old 4gb (2x2gb sticks) and rebooting allows me to get back into BIOS settings. Hope this helps someone. Dont trash your X3200 just yet!