GPU idling/dead for 30 minutes on startup.Predator Helios 300

Form
Form Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
So I have a Predator Helios 300 Gaming Laptop, Intel Core i7-9750H, GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, PH315-52-710B and whenever I sign into windows (my os is windows 10 home 64x) my gpu is dead for like 30 minutes and I can only open apps using shortcuts and its becoming a problem because I expect to start it up and be ready to sign into my online classes every day, but I've been late on multiple occasions for them. I spent about 4 hours online trying to find a fix, and I couldn't find anything that worked. I did install the new 1660 ti drivers that came out on the 9th of this month, but the problem started like 2-3 days after.

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,696 Trailblazer
    edited November 2020 Answer ✓
    Form said:
    So I have a Predator Helios 300 Gaming Laptop, Intel Core i7-9750H, GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, PH315-52-710B and whenever I sign into windows (my os is windows 10 home 64x) my gpu is dead for like 30 minutes and I can only open apps using shortcuts and its becoming a problem because I expect to start it up and be ready to sign into my online classes every day, but I've been late on multiple occasions for them. I spent about 4 hours online trying to find a fix, and I couldn't find anything that worked. I did install the new 1660 ti drivers that came out on the 9th of this month, but the problem started like 2-3 days after.

Firstly, see if your Intel graphic Integrated GPU the Intel UHD 630 driver needs updating (as that is the graphics that you use 90% of the time for normal use) also, use the “Intel® Driver & Support Assistant” from here: https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html and let that do its thing and update accordingly, also the Intel “IDSA” will tell you which other drivers need updating e.g. chipset, graphics, audio, wifi, bt etc drivers so you will have a good guide of where your drivers are at.

With the NVIDIA uninstall the old driver and do a “Clean Install” of the newest driver. Remember that your NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti graphics is only used for gaming and extreme graphics applications, its not used for everyday apps and classes type work where your Helios 300 only uses the Intel integrated GPU of the Intel UHD 630.

Also, make sure that you have the latest Win-10 Updates and version and OS build as all these things have a big factor to your Predator Helios 300 working properly especially with the problems that you are having.  

Answers

• StevenGen
    edited November 2020 Answer ✓
    Form said:

Firstly, see if your Intel graphic Integrated GPU the Intel UHD 630 driver needs updating (as that is the graphics that you use 90% of the time for normal use) also, use the “Intel® Driver & Support Assistant” from here: https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html and let that do its thing and update accordingly, also the Intel “IDSA” will tell you which other drivers need updating e.g. chipset, graphics, audio, wifi, bt etc drivers so you will have a good guide of where your drivers are at.

With the NVIDIA uninstall the old driver and do a “Clean Install” of the newest driver. Remember that your NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti graphics is only used for gaming and extreme graphics applications, its not used for everyday apps and classes type work where your Helios 300 only uses the Intel integrated GPU of the Intel UHD 630.

Also, make sure that you have the latest Win-10 Updates and version and OS build as all these things have a big factor to your Predator Helios 300 working properly especially with the problems that you are having.  

• Form

Tinkerer

I installed a new intel update and automatically my frames started dropping. I'm assuming that it switched, how do I fix this?
  • Form

Tinkerer

edited November 2020
    Nevermind, fixed it. What apps should be using the intel graphics btw? ie like internet browsers, certain games/softwares. Literally just made my NVIDIA card my default and switched my browser, chrome, and OBS to intel.
  • StevenGen
    edited November 2020
    Form said:
    Nevermind, fixed it. What apps should be using the intel graphics btw? ie like internet browsers, certain games/softwares. Literally just made my NVIDIA card my default and switched my browser, chrome, and OBS to intel.

Yes changing the settings of your NVIDIA graphics through their Control Panel at > Manage 3D Settings > Preferred Graphics Processor > High – performance NVIDIA processor is the way to do it, also, you can change that to individual software by using “Program Settings” too. The Intel graphics are used for most of your graphics process but not for games, games use the NVIDIA only as they are intensive graphics and not e.g. apps, browsing, office etc but the NVIDIA graphics is only used for intensive graphics like games and cad and extensive graphics etc.  

• Form

Tinkerer

StevenGen said:
    Form said:

I went to the intel site and updated, and I installed an update and my frames just randomly dropped in game and the display is much worse.