[Graphics Driver Update] Acer Aspire 3 A315-41G Series. Any Ideas?

System
System Member Posts: 4,513 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
This discussion was created from comments split from: [Graphics Driver Update] Acer Aspire 3 A315-41G Series. Any Ideas?.

Answers

• Reyzter
    Reyzter Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited November 2020
    I have the same problem, as I saw your fix here FelGate, I felt some kind of hope.

I'm still at work, and I will try these steps you provided later. I hope this will fix the issues regarding my GPU.

I couldn't play properly, constant FPS drops always happen. Acer Aspire 3 a315-41g-r5u3 doesn't use it's 100% GPU utilization when needed. 

I know what can Radeon 535 do and I am not satisfied with my current state, I hope this will really help me. Tho it's 2 years ago. I really hope it does.
    AJCastro said:
    FelGate said:
    I know a lot of people is suffering with this kind of suffering I also suffer. :cold_sweat:
    Acer Aspire 3 A315-41G Series powered by AMD Ryzen Mobile Processors with both AMD Radeon RX Vega Series and the Discrete AMD Radeon 53X Series modified and added by Acer has Graphic driver issues.
    1. Windows sometimes or maybe all the times gets a bluescreen due to the graphic driver issues provided (graphic driver) by Acer itself.
    2. Whenever people do fullscreen tasks, movies, or games. Screen changes from a colorful view to an annoying blue or yellow visual pollution. :disappointed:
    3. Whenever people do fullscreen/maximize applications, eg. AutoCAD and other softwares. The screen freezes, not just the screen but also the application freezes and resulting a graphics driver/hardware to halt/error and/or bluescreen.
    4. Due to Microsoft's (fault) and Windows itself. From build Windows 10 Build 1709/1803, AMD Radeon Settings process spams like crazy, multiplying itself relentlessly by executing itself so on and so forth, and ate all the Memory(RAM) and the HDD usage of the entire laptop like there's no tomorrow. Which result to an annoying lags/hangs/freezes. (This problem can appear when you use Restart, You can Fix this using "shutdown.exe" commands and not using Restart button provided on the start power options.)
    5. Lastly, Acer, Please Kindly Update your Graphic Drivers for these Aspire 3 Ryzen Mobile Series. Since customers using these Laptops cannot update (our) drivers using the updated drivers provided by AMD (amd.com) itself. Since, AMD provide drivers only for graphic cards/chips. Which, You(Acer) provides not only the Graphic Driver update but also the OEM hardware updates.

Thank you so much and please consider our creed.

Best Regards,
    Felgate

I also having the same problem about my screen and it just shut down, no blue screen or anything. every time i play league of legends my unit does this and the fullscreen of movies and other games specially my VLC player. Is there a new update on this?
    UP with this issue. I'm also suffering on this graphic driver issue, hopping acer will solve this as soon as possible. :anguished:
    To all my beloved fellow Acer A315-41/41G with AMD Ryzen™ Processor users.
    For this kind of problem. I somehow fixed the graphic card issues around 25% of the current issue by using another driver.
    Note: This somehow still just fell inside the Radeon Settings 17.7. You can update it and it is compatible for those Who have AMD Vega Graphics with Radeon 535 Graphics using Radeon Settings 17.7 (OEM) itself. I will help you how I got it working properly for the mean time. [Sadly, We can't update it to the Latest version somehow. I was trying to make an Updated Modded Driver but I'm not great with coding. XD]

These steps will help you go through the Process.
    First and foremost do it at your own risk. So, Follow the steps properly and trust me.
    Step One:
    Download this Graphic Driver through my OneDrive
    (AMD Ryzen Processor Graphic.7z)
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmboCbw1UY2UgUIQ7QNANL1MuguI

Step Two:
    Extract it on any Folder you can Access Easily (Desktop most probably)

Step Three: (Sentou Kaishi)
    Go to Windows Settings

Step Four:
    Select Update & Security

Step Five:
    Select Recovery

Step Six:
    On Advance Startup
    Click Restart

Step Seven:
    Press Startup Settings
    *If you can't see it on first Selection
    **Click More Recovery Options at the Bottom of the Selection

Step Eight:
    (After Restart)
    Press F4/Enable Safe Mode

Step Nine:
    (When you are already in your Windows Interface)
    Press Windows Key + X (to Open Power User Menu)

Step Ten:
    Select Device Manager

Step Eleven:
    Expand Display Adapters

Step Twelve [A]: Overlapping Drivers
    Right Click on Any of the Adapters [Select on Whether its Vega Graphics or the Radeon 535 Graphics (Just one adapter would update both)]
    Select Update Driver
    Note: You can also uninstall the Drivers first. For More Neat Installation

Step Twelve [B (Optional)]: Uninstalling Current Driver
    Right Click on Any of the Adapters (Whether its Vega 3 or So and the Radeon 535 Graphics)
    Select Uninstall Driver (Both Vega and Radeon 535 drivers must be uninstalled)
    Tick Delete the driver software for this device
    Click Uninstall

Step Twelve [B (Optional)]: Continuation
    Press F5 (to Refresh the Components)
    *Expand Display Adapters and it would show Microsoft Basic Display Adapter (This is your Vega Graphics)
    **Remember Installing driver on one adapter would install on both adapters

Step Thirteen: Installation
    After selecting Update driver
    Select Browse my Computer for driver software
    Browse
    And Select the AMD Vega Series + Radeon 535 folder you have extracted
    And click Next
    (After driver Installation, Restart your Laptop)

Bonus Step (Optional):
    (on Normal Boot Windows after Restart)
    Open the Extracted folder (AMD Vega Series + Radeon 535)
    Open B330055 folder
    Select/Find ccc2_install.exe
    Double click to Install
    After Installation Close the Installer Window
    Then do Restart
    ***This would activate the Radeon Settings Notification Icon

[Hurray! Screen bugs like Screen Display Discoloration will be fixed.]

(Question: Why not do the driver installation while it's on Normal Mode Windows than Safe Mode? Answer: There's a probability that it cannot Install the driver properly. Instead it will restart your laptop unexpectedly. Which can interrupt Driver installation. Acer bugs fault.)

• FelGate
    FelGate Member Posts: 61 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited November 2020
    @Akihitokun
    That's really bad to hear that you still encounter those error.. As of this date? is it good now? Have you fixed it? If not where do this error occurs? What applications or games that this kind of problem occur?

@Reyzter
    I hope this can help you. I made it an image since the texts gets in to one whole paragraph when it's sent. Just "select" Open Image in a New Window on your browser.

• FelGate
    edited November 2020
    @Reyzter
    Additional Notes:
    OEM Driver and 19.5.2 driver doesn't allow the Radeon 535 to be disabled. It causes Application crashes.

On 20.9.1 on the other hand will allow the Radeon 535 to be fully disabled and allows the VEGA to be the one and only GPU to be used for the entire whatever you want to do in your laptop. Attached is my Additional notes to the Additional notes. :lol:

And If you don't want my suggestion below. By using Windows Server. You can just freely upgrade to 8GB or up to whatever GB of RAM you want if you have some spare to spend for it.

• Reyzter
    Reyzter Member Posts: 2 New User
    FelGate said:
    @Reyzter
    Additional Notes:
    OEM Driver and 19.5.2 driver doesn't allow the Radeon 535 to be disabled. It causes Application crashes.

On 20.9.1 on the other hand will allow the Radeon 535 to be fully disabled and allows the VEGA to be the one and only GPU to be used for the entire whatever you want to do in your laptop. Attached is my Additional notes to the Additional notes. :lol:

And If you don't want my suggestion below. By using Windows Server. You can just freely upgrade to 8GB or up to whatever GB of RAM you want if you have some spare to spend for it.

I'm already at 19.5.2, should I update it to 20.9.1? 
    Also, is Radeon 530 and 535 are the same? I should have Radeon 535 but it shows Radeon 530. I'm confused.
  • FelGate
    Good Day Sir @Reyzter . You are very much welcome.
    I'm glad that my methods had helped your problems with your laptop.

*Back in the day it was only the OEM driver that can be found and installed in our laptops (There was no generic driver from AMD until May 2019 when the 19.5.2 was released). The OEM driver was very buggy and very bad to use. I can't even use Multimedia Software like Adobe and CAD software like Autodesk AutoCAD. Whenever I use these software my laptop or every laptop in this Aspire A315-41/41G series would have some application Glitches & Discoloration, Crash, Blue Screens and Black Screen of Death.
    **OEM Driver from Acer only produce about 200 to 400Mhz/1000Mhz of Vega's processing power. That's only 20 to 40% of the Performance of the GPU.
    ***What's worse is that the Radeon 535 is what makes it worst. Yes, it makes it worst. Why? From the OEM driver, the Driver considers it as an Integrated Graphics for our AMD Ryzen mobile instead of our Vega that is built with our APU, Which simply means that Acer has messed up in porting the drivers for our laptops.
    ****Radeon 535 is just a rebrand name from Radeon 530. No performance gains from it. It's just a Radeon 530 modified by Acer add 5 into it and became 535. Which simply means, Radeon 530 is what came out of AMD then OEMs would edit the chip and it's performance[?], vbios, and etc. then Rebrand it as 535/53X. To make it more appealing to costumers of course.

Fun Facts: Radeon RX Vega's vs. Your Specs (Vega 3) vs. Radeon 530 vs. Radeon 535
    -
    GPU Cores
    Vega: 2 Cores (Athlon Silver), 3 Cores (Ryzen 2200U), etc.
    Yours (Vega 3): 3 Cores
    Radeon 530: 5 Cores or 6 Cores
    Radeon 535: 6 Cores

Clock Speeds
    Vega: 1000Mhz to 1500Mhz
    Yours (Vega 3): 1000 or 1100Mhz
    Radeon 530: 1024
    Radeon 535: 1024

Here's what makes the difference.
    Technology
    Vega: 7nm to 14nm
    Yours (Vega 3): 14nm
    Radeon 530: 28nm
    Radeon 535: 28nm

TBP/TDP (W)
    Vega: 12W to 45W
    Yours (Vega 3): 25W
    Radeon 530: 25W to 60W
    Radeon 535: 45W to 60W

What makes it all the difference and what makes it worse?
    How they modified the chip (I mean why just put the Radeon 530 Instead of 535, Why make all the efforts to Modify the chip and make it worse?), Technology and TDP. Radeon 535 having that 45 to 60W is a no go. Gaming in Battery with 535 would last just about 30min to approximately 1hr-, While on Vega would last about 1hr to approximately 2hrs+.

I'm in 19.5.2, Is it worth it to upgrade to other/newer AMD drivers? Answer is No. No to Random Driver versions. Why? There are lots of bugs into it. Don't dare and suffer from installing then uninstalling then installing and uninstalling of the drivers because of messing up.

I'm in 19.5.2, Is it worth it to upgrade to 20.9.1 AMD drivers? Specifically Yes. Why? I've been testing these drivers from the release of 19.5.2 up to the latest versions. So, specifically I know their Ups and Downs and the symptoms they can cause in the laptops.

Can I just stay with 19.5.2? Yes you can but the disadvantage is that. If you are fond of using Night Light mode of Windows 10 to protect your eyes then you can't use it on 19.5.2. One thing, If you want to use your Vega (Only) GPU and disable the 535 GPU, you can't also do that on 19.5.2.

Why would I disable my 535 GPU? It's a good GPU than the Vega... Answer, I doubt so. No, it's not. and Why? It consumes about 2 times the power that Vega consumes. It's hotter than the Vega, I mean 535 is not a GPU built for a laptop, Specifically it's an OEM GPU for Desktops, Vega just produce about 25-70°C and 535 produces about 35-95°C. It's TDP is 45-60W. And your system is limiting it's power. Your laptop is made for 25W and the 535 is 45-60W? Like woahh and lastly, It's killing your APU (Ryzen & Vega) from the heat it produce making it less productive. Why it's killing it? When you open the back of your laptop or just even look at the back of your laptop through those heat holes. The chip nearest to your fan and your heat sink/absorber is your APU and to the far right is the 535 GPU. Imagine having that 535 run so hot that all of it's heat is passing through your APU and your fan can't even compensate that much heat. So, it melts your APU, your Motherboard and your lovely little laptop.

May you have a great day. GOD Bless.
  • FelGate
    Finally, As you can see at the back of your laptop. There is another slot for a fan, I mean Why not put two fans for this laptop. One for the APU and 1 for the Discrete GPU (535). But Acer didn't do it. So, as far as today, I'm still finding ways to put another fan to these laptops. But I'm quite busy for this life. I wish life was just easy :lol: This laptop and it's APU is literally a monster. As of it's motherboard's notes this laptop can support up to 64GB of RAM. But the APU just supports up to 32GB of RAM. Limiting up to 32GB in overall of course. If ever you wish to upgrade that laptop of yours to 32GB. I mean, Why not?
  • Kyah
    Kyah Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited December 2020
    FelGate said:
    @Akihitokun
    That's really bad to hear that you still encounter those error.. As of this date? is it good now? Have you fixed it? If not where do this error occurs? What applications or games that this kind of problem occur?

@Reyzter
    I hope this can help you. I made it an image since the texts gets in to one whole paragraph when it's sent. Just "select" Open Image in a New Window on your browser.

Do i need to install the OEM Drivers or i can skip and install directly to 20.9.1

Im having issue getting random black screen even when im just using it for casual use.
  • Kyah
    Kyah Member Posts: 2 New User
    FelGate said:
    Good Day Sir @Reyzter . You are very much welcome.
    I'm glad that my methods had helped your problems with your laptop.

*Back in the day it was only the OEM driver that can be found and installed in our laptops (There was no generic driver from AMD until May 2019 when the 19.5.2 was released). The OEM driver was very buggy and very bad to use. I can't even use Multimedia Software like Adobe and CAD software like Autodesk AutoCAD. Whenever I use these software my laptop or every laptop in this Aspire A315-41/41G series would have some application Glitches & Discoloration, Crash, Blue Screens and Black Screen of Death.
    **OEM Driver from Acer only produce about 200 to 400Mhz/1000Mhz of Vega's processing power. That's only 20 to 40% of the Performance of the GPU.
    ***What's worse is that the Radeon 535 is what makes it worst. Yes, it makes it worst. Why? From the OEM driver, the Driver considers it as an Integrated Graphics for our AMD Ryzen mobile instead of our Vega that is built with our APU, Which simply means that Acer has messed up in porting the drivers for our laptops.
    ****Radeon 535 is just a rebrand name from Radeon 530. No performance gains from it. It's just a Radeon 530 modified by Acer add 5 into it and became 535. Which simply means, Radeon 530 is what came out of AMD then OEMs would edit the chip and it's performance[?], vbios, and etc. then Rebrand it as 535/53X. To make it more appealing to costumers of course.

Fun Facts: Radeon RX Vega's vs. Your Specs (Vega 3) vs. Radeon 530 vs. Radeon 535
    -
    GPU Cores
    Vega: 2 Cores (Athlon Silver), 3 Cores (Ryzen 2200U), etc.
    Yours (Vega 3): 3 Cores
    Radeon 530: 5 Cores or 6 Cores
    Radeon 535: 6 Cores

Clock Speeds
    Vega: 1000Mhz to 1500Mhz
    Yours (Vega 3): 1000 or 1100Mhz
    Radeon 530: 1024
    Radeon 535: 1024

Here's what makes the difference.
    Technology
    Vega: 7nm to 14nm
    Yours (Vega 3): 14nm
    Radeon 530: 28nm
    Radeon 535: 28nm

TBP/TDP (W)
    Vega: 12W to 45W
    Yours (Vega 3): 25W
    Radeon 530: 25W to 60W
    Radeon 535: 45W to 60W

What makes it all the difference and what makes it worse?
    How they modified the chip (I mean why just put the Radeon 530 Instead of 535, Why make all the efforts to Modify the chip and make it worse?), Technology and TDP. Radeon 535 having that 45 to 60W is a no go. Gaming in Battery with 535 would last just about 30min to approximately 1hr-, While on Vega would last about 1hr to approximately 2hrs+.

I'm in 19.5.2, Is it worth it to upgrade to other/newer AMD drivers? Answer is No. No to Random Driver versions. Why? There are lots of bugs into it. Don't dare and suffer from installing then uninstalling then installing and uninstalling of the drivers because of messing up.

I'm in 19.5.2, Is it worth it to upgrade to 20.9.1 AMD drivers? Specifically Yes. Why? I've been testing these drivers from the release of 19.5.2 up to the latest versions. So, specifically I know their Ups and Downs and the symptoms they can cause in the laptops.

Can I just stay with 19.5.2? Yes you can but the disadvantage is that. If you are fond of using Night Light mode of Windows 10 to protect your eyes then you can't use it on 19.5.2. One thing, If you want to use your Vega (Only) GPU and disable the 535 GPU, you can't also do that on 19.5.2.

Why would I disable my 535 GPU? It's a good GPU than the Vega... Answer, I doubt so. No, it's not. and Why? It consumes about 2 times the power that Vega consumes. It's hotter than the Vega, I mean 535 is not a GPU built for a laptop, Specifically it's an OEM GPU for Desktops, Vega just produce about 25-70°C and 535 produces about 35-95°C. It's TDP is 45-60W. And your system is limiting it's power. Your laptop is made for 25W and the 535 is 45-60W? Like woahh and lastly, It's killing your APU (Ryzen & Vega) from the heat it produce making it less productive. Why it's killing it? When you open the back of your laptop or just even look at the back of your laptop through those heat holes. The chip nearest to your fan and your heat sink/absorber is your APU and to the far right is the 535 GPU. Imagine having that 535 run so hot that all of it's heat is passing through your APU and your fan can't even compensate that much heat. So, it melts your APU, your Motherboard and your lovely little laptop.

May you have a great day. GOD Bless.
    also how do i disable the Radeon 535 ? thank you
  • JeltonVasquez
    JeltonVasquez Member Posts: 1 New User
    I added 256gb m.2 ssd on my aspire a315-41g and install new OS but when I install the vga driver it gives me black screen. Anyone who has this issue?