Installing M.2 nvme on Acer Aspire GX-785-UR1D

2»

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Pete42

Ooops!
    For item 2) when you hit F12 key, you will get the Boot Menu, not the BIOS Settings. Anyway, there should be two Windows Boot Managers at the Boot Menu, try the top one first, see is it booting to the M.2 NVme? Then skip to step 5) to continue.
  • Pete42
    Pete42 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Thank you all for your help, Ive got a clean HDD and bootable SDD! I do get a bluescreen "stopthiscode" from windows once in a while so may have to reinstall windows or look for solution later but mostly running stable without issues. Thanks again, so happy to finally got this ssd running.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,452 Trailblazer
    I had a machine come in earlier this week having a stop code like that after a SSD upgrade. I updated her from the 1904 version or W10 she had to 20H2 (the latest) and the issue completely went away.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Pappasgrind85
    Pappasgrind85 Member Posts: 8 New User
    So I have the same model pc and I’m having a hard time figuring out which ssd to order. Will this one work?: Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 500GB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology (MZ-V7S500B/AM) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M7Q21N7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_2875CHM5VRY5NF3PXKJD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,452 Trailblazer
    The Aspire GX-785 models support an M.2 SATA 3.0 SSD, the one you link is an NVMe instead, so likely will not work.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • lubu
    lubu Member Posts: 29 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Pete42 said:
    Hello I purchased a crucial P5 NVMe M.2 ssd, have installed it into motherboard , but it is not recognized in bios. 

I used the Acronis software to clone my hdd to the new SSD, but not able to see it in bios. Now attempting to wipe the ssd and start over the acronis clean tool freezes during scrub and I cannot wipe the ssd, or see drives in management tool. Feels like I’m going backwards and I need some help getting this ssd running. 

Please help, let me know what I need to provide 

I don't know why people said NVMe is not supported in GX-785
    I am using WD Black SN750 NVMe without any problem....
    p.s. I have upgraded to latest BIOS

• lubu
    edited September 2021

The READ Write is very good
    close to hardware specification.

win10 latest update + GX-785 latest BIOS

2018/11/13

BIOS version : R02-B2

• lubu
    Check your GX-785 chipset
    if it is B150, it can use NVMe

I confirmed my GX-785 is using B150 chipset and NVMe at full speed without problem.
  • lubu
    edited September 2021

See the version number on the motherboard

And GX-785 is using standard ATX 24 pins PSU and standard 4 pin Fan
    but the case cannot fit market PSU by default, not because of pin assignment but case size fixed for that 500W only....

I have added a case fan without problem.   it have heat issue by default as GX-785 not come with system fan on this tower case....

• lubu
    above result from XC-885

Q32T1 on GX-785 ( i7 -7700 )even much more faster on XC-885 ( i7 -8700 )

Same windows version, Same Ram, Sam SSD.................

it is real a funny result...........