SF314-42 doesn't wake up from sleep mode, Windows restarts instead, please help!

Answers

• Does the same problem occur when updating windows to version 20h2?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Tarik02
    Tarik02 Member Posts: 28 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Does the same problem occur when updating windows to version 20h2?
    Yes, it does.
  • Tarik02
    Tarik02 Member Posts: 28 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    I've noticed some strange thing. When I put my laptop to sleep, sometimes it falls asleep normally and then when I wake it up, I see only cursor (I can move it) on black screen. I can put it to sleep and wake it up, but screen will continue being black after waking up.
  • Have you tried to downgrade the bios?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • kirmgrauza
    kirmgrauza Member Posts: 99 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Have you tried to downgrade the bios?

Just tried it. Acer provided BIOS flash tool doesn't allow to downgrade.
  • JaimeDLH
    JaimeDLH Member Posts: 43 Devotee WiFi Icon
    I installed it days ago, it makes no difference... :-(
  • kirmgrauza
    JaimeDLH said:
    Have you tried updating all of your components software, via Acer Care Center?
  • JaimeDLH
    edited October 2020
    JaimeDLH said:
    Have you tried updating all of your components software, via Acer Care Center?
    Yes. Everything is up to date, both in the Care Center and Windows Update. I'm on Windows 20H2 too.
  • Can you check the error that appears in the windows event viewer?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JaimeDLH
    Can you check the error that appears in the windows event viewer?
    It's the same one other users have found. Here are the details of the event from Event viewer:

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
    [ Guid] {331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}

EventID 41

Version 8

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000400000000002

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2020-10-16T14:50:20.8507457Z

EventRecordID 905

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4
    [ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer SWIFT3-JHM

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

BugcheckCode 234
    BugcheckParameter1 0xffff9a878c6bd040
    BugcheckParameter2 0x0
    BugcheckParameter3 0x0
    BugcheckParameter4 0x0
    SleepInProgress 0
    PowerButtonTimestamp 132473333765669049
    BootAppStatus 0
    Checkpoint 0
    ConnectedStandbyInProgress true
    SystemSleepTransitionsToOn 0
    CsEntryScenarioInstanceId 0
    BugcheckInfoFromEFI false
    CheckpointStatus 0
    CsEntryScenarioInstanceIdV2 0
    LongPowerButtonPressDetected false

• pcamantea
    pcamantea Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

can we stop the guessing game and get a proper investigation by acer's tech team? we clearly tried every different update combination and everyone still has the problem, except for one person that claims to have solved it, but it was clearly not as simple as updating software, as we all tried that already.
  • JaimeDLH
    pcamantea said:
    can we stop the guessing game and get a proper investigation by acer's tech team? we clearly tried every different update combination and everyone still has the problem, except for one person that claims to have solved it, but it was clearly not as simple as updating software, as we all tried that already.
    I did a technical support request here on the web site, I chatted with a tech representative and a support ticket was raised. I don't think that achieved a lot, but at least I got tech support to log the problem. In the ticket I provided this thread as further information. If more people with the problem do the same, perhaps the tech staff will take notice sooner.
  • pcamantea
    pcamantea Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

JaimeDLH said:
    pcamantea said:
    I did a technical support request here on the web site, I chatted with a tech representative and a support ticket was raised. I don't think that achieved a lot, but at least I got tech support to log the problem. In the ticket I provided this thread as further information. If more people with the problem do the same, perhaps the tech staff will take notice sooner.

absolutely, I think everyone with the issue should post and complain here and also in official support channels, what I think is just a waste of time is 'official forum support people' suggesting to update the BIOS or update the drivers given that many people already said they have tried that, and we all already know that does NOT solve the problem.
  • yech
    yech Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Happy to found this thread, I was thinking that some hardware issues going on but hybernation makes sense to me now as it started after I switched to windows 10 pro and installed multipass/wsl/docker that uses hybernation. Did you guys solved it?
  • kirmgrauza
    Nobody solved it. Except me. I've updated all of the components and one of them was important to fix the issue. I'm the chosen one, who has this laptop working at it's fullest. 🙄🙄🙄

Only workaround for this issue, is to disable both VirtualMachine features in BIOS. 🙂
  • JaimeDLH
    Nobody solved it. Except me. I've updated all of the components and one of them was important to fix the issue. I'm the chosen one, who has this laptop working at it's fullest. 🙄🙄🙄

Only workaround for this issue, is to disable both VirtualMachine features in BIOS. 🙂
    Not really a workaround if you actually need these features for your work. The only "real" workaround, for the time being, is to disable the sleep feature until a fix is found. I have my laptop configured to hibernate, instead of sleeping, on lid close, power button, etc.

I'm under the impression that even though @kirmgrauza isn't currently affected by this issue, he is not really under the same circumstances. The problem appears to be firmly linked to the use of Hyper-V, specifically, more so than simply having the virtualization features enabled in BIOS. When you have Hyper-V activated, Windows itself runs on top of the hypervisor. Not so when you use type 2 hypervisor technologies, such as VirtualBox or VMWare Workstation. I think therein might be the distinguishing characteristic of this issue, and it's not clear to me if this is a bug in Windows, Hyper-V or in the BIOS of certain AMD CPUs.
  • JaimeDLH
    Also: New drivers have been published on the Support page today! Let's see if any of them helps.
  • kirmgrauza
    @JaimeDLH , how I could test if Hyper-V working on my computer?
  • JaimeDLH
    @JaimeDLH , how I could test if Hyper-V working on my computer?
    You can check if the Hyper-V Host process is running as a service (Win + R, type "services.msc" (ENTER), and check for a service called "Hyper-V Host Compute Service" or its equivalent if you have Windows in a language different than english. If it is running, you are on top of Hyper-V. Here it is on my machine:

On top of that, you can check in the task manager for a virtual process called vmmem.exe. It is listed as a background process:

This process summarizes the memory use for all of your running Hyper-V virtual machines, other than Windows itself.
This discussion has been closed.