Acer Nitro 5 AN515-42 | CPU throttle 2.0Ghz when reaching 75 Celsius | AMD Ryzen 5 2500U

1337Braz
1337Braz Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited May 2020 in Nitro Gaming
Hello,

Im using Acer Nitro 5 AN515-42 v1.17 BIOS update, with Ryzen 5 2500u RX 560X 4GB, 12 GB DDR4, SSD+HDD, Windows 10 PRO.
I have proper up to date AMD Chipset drivers and Adrenaline 2020 GPU driver.

Im getting issues with my CPU. Whenever CPU reaches 75 Celsius it will downclock to 2.00Ghz (base clock) even tho it can easly handle 95+ Celsius.
Boost clock (3+GHz) gets back as soon as it drops down a bit (usually in few seconds)

This bothers me because I get stuttering ingame because of this throttling for no reason. 75 Celsius is a joke for this CPU.

I've tried to repaste both GPU and CPU. I've used RyzenADJ and Ryzen Controller (Unofficial Ryzen Master overclock tool) but those programs cannot remove this 75 Celsius thermal restriction for some reason.

Is there any way to report this to ACER or increase max temperature to atleast 85 Celsius?
I assume a BIOS update would fix this.

Thanks!
Best regards.

Best Answers

• P25ani
    P25ani Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    Answer ✓
    Finally Fixed it. I undervolted the Rx560x to 0.975v on core  and that reduced the overall system temps to -10°c. Used Ryzen Master to set tdp to 22W (Default was 25w) . set Fans Near max using NitroSense. Now Cpu goes Max to 71°c and keeps around 3.00-3.1 ghz on all cores and gpu styas at 59°c. Strange thing is even if it hits 75 now  its will throttle to 2ghz for a few seconds and then again boosts back to  3.2ghz. Seems like i finnaly got a workaround to this
  • P25ani
    P25ani Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    Answer ✓
    Results after Undervolting and reducing TDp to 22W. Temps are way lower and Cpu is hitting 3.2ghz on all cores all the time.  No more throttling .

• 1337Braz
    1337Braz Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    edited November 2020 Answer ✓
    Hello everyone!

Just wanted to let you know I will no longer reply or update this thread.

The reason is I sold my Acer Nitro 5 and bought the new Lenovo Legion 5 - that was the best fix for this issue.

In case anyone wants a workaround for Nitro 5 CPU throttle issue, user @P25ani explained above how undervolting GPU and limiting CPU TDP can "fix" this issue.

Have a good day everyone.

Answers