Acer A515-54g

System
System Member Posts: 4,518 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
This discussion was created from comments split from: How to Fix Integrated Webcam Not Working on Windows 10.

Answers

• Razoray
    Razoray Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have just purchased an Acer A515-54g, after two days and 1 Windows 10 update the camera has stopped working. I was disgusted with the support i got from Acer, they did not want to listen and said it was a Zoom issue, The Device Manager does not register the web cam. I explained that i could not rollback the update as the security protocols from the business VPN required the latest windows update. Help forum as Acer dont want to know!!
  • Razoray
    Razoray Member Posts: 2 New User
    How to Fix Integrated Webcam Not Working on Windows 10

If your integrated webcam is not working since Windows 10 update or upgrade, the problem is likely to be caused by faulty drivers or driver conflicts. To fix the problem, first, check the driver status in Device Manager. Follow instructions in this post and your webcam should work again.

First, go to Device Manager and see if there is a yellow mark next to the webcam device. The device may list under entry Imaging devices or Other devices. If under Other devices, the device name could also be Unknown Device.

Uninstall the Driver

1. Right-click on the device and select Uninstall on the pop-up context menu.
    2. Confirm Device Uninstall window will pop up. Click OK button to apply the uninstall.
    3. Reboot your computer. After rebooting, Windows will reinstall the driver automatically.

If Windows does not install the driver automatically, download and install the latest driver manually.

Update the Driver Manually

Go to your PC manufacturer’s website to download the latest Windows 10 driver for the integrated webcam. Before you get started, ensure that you know the PC model and the specific operating system that you are using (See How to Get Operating System Version).

For some PC models, the manufacturer may not release Windows 10 driver. If you are in this situation, download the driver for Windows 7 or Windows 8, which is always compatible with Windows 10.

Usually, the downloaded driver file will be .zip file or .exe file. For .zip file, extract it completely then you will get the .exe file. To install the driver, just double-click on the .exe file and follow the on-screen instructions.

After installing the driver, if the problem persists, install the driver again in the Compatibility mode for Windows 7. Follow these steps:

1. Go to the webcam software program folder and find the executable file (.exe).
    2. Right-click on the file and select Properties in the pop-up context menu.
    3. Go to Compatibility tab and change the Compatibility mode to Windows 7. After that, click Apply and OK button to apply the changes.
    4. Install the driver again.
    If you have difficulty downloading and installing the driver manually, you can use Driver Easy to help you. Driver Easy can scan your computer to detect all problem drivers in several seconds, then give you new drivers. It has Free version and Paid version. With Paid version, to update drivers, all you need to do is click your mouse 2 times. Moreover, you can enjoy professional tech support guarantee, you can contact us for further assistance regarding the integrated webcam not working issue. To resolve the problem, use Driver Easy as your final solution (Recommended).

Instructions for the device with not yellow mark on it:

Disable and Enable the Device

1. Right-click on the device and select Uninstall on the pop-up context menu.
    2. Right-click on the device again and select Enable on the pop-up context menu.

If the problem persists, you might need to reset the computer. Note while performing reset, ensure to select Keep my files so that your personal files will be saved.

Follow these steps to reset the computer:

1. Click Start menu icon in left bottom corner.
    2. Click on Power button, hold down Shift key and click on Restart.

Make sure you hold the Shift key down when Windows is restarting and don’t release it until you see the following screen.

3. Select Troubleshoot.
    4. Select Reset this PC.
    5. Select Keep my files.

Good luck
    Thanks 007 for the detailed response, The recommended process did not work. The Acer support site does not provide a driver for the webcam, the Realtek drivers do not cover the video device. This is something I covered with Acer and PC World today. Nil support and the laptop not even a week old having to spend more money on drivers software is just Not On!

The laptop was manufactured by Acer in Aug 2020, therefore the W10 update was for security features, the camera is not blocked by any security software. I removed a number of drivers and ran another windows update which successfully updated and replaced all removed drivers but not the webcam. 

Do these companies really deserve our money when they fail to support. As for PC World they could not get me off the phone quick enough after waiting  40 minutes to have my call answered. 
    I have always spent good money on the major brands I will never buy an Acer again.