SF314-42 doesn't wake up from sleep mode, Windows restarts instead, please help!

Answers

• kirmgrauza
    kirmgrauza Member Posts: 99 Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited October 2020
    JaimeDLH said:
    Interesting. It would seem that the problem isn't related to virtualization per se, but it's something specific to WSL2/Hyper-V. Odd that a BIOS update seemed to fix it in other brand's models, it seems that the problem is more complex that it seems at first glance.

With WSL2 activated, and the software versions that I have (Windows 1909 version 18363.1110; BIOS v1.07; System Firmware 1.04), the problem is still active. I have no choice but to disable it until a solution can be found.
    Try updating Windows to latest version. 

• JaimeDLH
    JaimeDLH Member Posts: 43 Devotee WiFi Icon
    JaimeDLH said:
    Interesting. It would seem that the problem isn't related to virtualization per se, but it's something specific to WSL2/Hyper-V. Odd that a BIOS update seemed to fix it in other brand's models, it seems that the problem is more complex that it seems at first glance.

With WSL2 activated, and the software versions that I have (Windows 1909 version 18363.1110; BIOS v1.07; System Firmware 1.04), the problem is still active. I have no choice but to disable it until a solution can be found.
    Try updating Windows to latest version. 

I haven't been able to! When I check for updates in Windows Update, I get a message that Windows 10 2004 is "on its way" and that I'll get it when it is available for my computer. If I try to manually update with the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant, it downloads 2004 and starts installing it, but at the very end, it says that this computer can't manually install 2004 and that I just have to wait to receive it via Windows Update. So had no luck with that.

However, something interesting happened just now... I received the following cumulative update in Windows Update:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4577062/windows-10-update-kb4577062

Am installing it now. It includes a lot of fixes, some of them related to Hyper-V. One of them says the following:
    • Addresses an issue that causes a stop error on a Hyper-V host when a virtual machine (VM) issues a specific Small Computer System Interface (SCSI) command. 
    So it might be related to the issue. Will test and report back.
  • JaimeDLH
    Update: No, installing update kb4577062 does not fix the problem.
  • kirmgrauza
    Force update to 2020 May version. It may help.
    https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=799445
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer
    Or wait a couple of weeks and install 20H2 instead.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JaimeDLH
    Force update to 2020 May version. It may help.
    https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=799445
    Thanks, but as I said a couple posts above yours:

If I try to manually update with the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant, it downloads 2004 and starts installing it, but at the very end, it says that this computer can't manually install 2004 and that I just have to wait to receive it via Windows Update. So had no luck with that.

Tried that, it won't let me force the update. Let's see if I can install 20H2 as billsey says.
  • JaimeDLH
    edited October 2020
    There's another report on the GitHub thread, from a Lenovo user, that a BIOS update fixed the issue.

Perhaps if more people affected by this with the Swift 3 can issue a support ticket about this, we can create awareness with Acer for them to publish a similar update... This issue is driving me nuts. The laptop is amazing, and not being able to properly use sleep with virtualization features is aggravating.
  • kirmgrauza
    You can always disable VM methods in BIOS. Sleep will start working. Others may find a way to force update to latest, if VM is important.
  • JaimeDLH
    Some updates: today, Windows Update offered the Windows 10 2004 update for me. It installed without a problem. After the upgrade, some additional drivers were offered, also via Windows Update. There were many, but there were two (presented as optional updates) that I installed thinking they might help:

AMD Display Driver - 27.20.1026.1:

Insyde software - firmware - 5.41.1.7:

After installing both and rebooting, however... The problem is still there. I think the definitive solution, as it has been reported by users of other brands, will be a BIOS update.

Still, it was interesting that there were some new drivers available after the update.
  • pcamantea
    pcamantea Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

I have windows 10 update 2004 installed, latest 1.07 bios and all latest drivers and the problem still persists
  • Tarik02
    Tarik02 Member Posts: 28 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    JaimeDLH said:
    Some updates: today, Windows Update offered the Windows 10 2004 update for me. It installed without a problem. After the upgrade, some additional drivers were offered, also via Windows Update. There were many, but there were two (presented as optional updates) that I installed thinking they might help:

After installing both and rebooting, however... The problem is still there. I think the definitive solution, as it has been reported by users of other brands, will be a BIOS update.

Still, it was interesting that there were some new drivers available after the update.
    Where did you find firmware 5.41.1.7?
  • Tarik02
    Tarik02 Member Posts: 28 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Just updated to windows 20h2, the problem was not fixed though.
  • JaimeDLH
    Tarik02 said:
    JaimeDLH said:

Where did you find firmware 5.41.1.7?
    Windows Update offered me those two drivers (Radeon Graphics and Firmware) as optional updates on 2004. Did not help, though.

I, too, updated todat to 20H2. Had not tried yet if the problem is still there, but it seems it has not been resolved.

I also created a technical support ticket on the AMD site. Let's see if we can create some awareness about the problem.
  • kirmgrauza
    edited October 2020
    Guys, why the thing works perfectly for me, but not for you? I have no idea what I did differently. But we should brainstorm it :)

If anyone has ideas, I can check what version is on me.

Are you sure you installed latest Radeon drivers from AMD.com?
  • pcamantea

Tinkerer

yeah I have latest AMD drivers, latest BIOS and latest available windows on Windows Update and it still fails for me.
    I've disabled virtualization in the BIOS for now and it seems to be working fine
  • JaimeDLH
    Guys, why the thing works perfectly for me, but not for you? I have no idea what I did differently. But we should brainstorm it :)

If anyone has ideas, I can check what version is on me.

Are you sure you installed latest Radeon drivers from AMD.com?
    I' m thinking the issue is specific to WSL2/Hyper-V. As I remember, you're using VMWare, so perhaps that's why you don't bump into this issue. It also could be because there are two types of hypervisors: Type 1 hypervisors (like MS Hyper-V, which is what WSL2 uses) run directly on the physical layer of the machine. That means that every OS running on that machine, Windows included, runs on top of the hypervisor, as long as Hyper-V is enabled.

Type 2 hypervisors use CPU virtualization features, but the host OS (Windows in this case) is not running on top of the hypervisor. VirtualBox and VMWare Workstation are type 2 hypervisors.

This is a very important difference. Perhaps there is a bug somewhere in the BIOS, or in the WSL2/Hyper-V layer, which is affecting certain AMD CPUs when running in a Type 1 hypervisor. It seems a BIOS update can fix it, but it could also be that a windows update fixes the issue by changing some system call within WSL2/Hyper-V on these CPUs. I'm also watching the thread on the WSL GitHub site about this same problem.
  • JaimeDLH
    By the way, the AMD Radeon driver I have installed is the latest one Windows Update offers me:

I did try to install the latest Radeon driver from AMD.com some days ago. It didn't help, so I uninstalled it and rolled back to this one. 
  • pcamantea

Tinkerer

JaimeDLH said:
    I' m thinking the issue is specific to WSL2/Hyper-V. As I remember, you're using VMWare, so perhaps that's why you don't bump into this issue. It also could be because there are two types of hypervisors: Type 1 hypervisors (like MS Hyper-V, which is what WSL2 uses) run directly on the physical layer of the machine. That means that every OS running on that machine, Windows included, runs on top of the hypervisor, as long as Hyper-V is enabled.

Type 2 hypervisors use CPU virtualization features, but the host OS (Windows in this case) is not running on top of the hypervisor. VirtualBox and VMWare Workstation are type 2 hypervisors.

This is a very important difference. Perhaps there is a bug somewhere in the BIOS, or in the WSL2/Hyper-V layer, which is affecting certain AMD CPUs when running in a Type 1 hypervisor. It seems a BIOS update can fix it, but it could also be that a windows update fixes the issue by changing some system call within WSL2/Hyper-V on these CPUs. I'm also watching the thread on the WSL GitHub site about this same problem.

do you mean this only happens to people who installed WSL or any other virtualization software? or that it could happen to anyone as Windows runs on top of type 1 hypervisor?
  • JaimeDLH
    pcamantea said:
    JaimeDLH said:

do you mean this only happens to people who installed WSL or any other virtualization software? or that it could happen to anyone as Windows runs on top of type 1 hypervisor?
    These are all just theories, as far as I know, there problem hasn't been completely identified and its cause isolated. But, based on what I've been able to gather:

- The problem does not occur at all if you disable CPU virtualization features in BIOS
    - Apparently, using type 2 hypervisors (VirtualBox, VMWare) does NOT interfere with the sleep feature
    - The problem seems to appear when Hyper-V is enabled (and therefore, Windows itself is running on top of a virtualization layer)
    - Some people exhibiting this problem on other brands' computers have found a solution with a BIOS update

So, my guess here (and for now, it's just that - a guess) is that it could happen to anyone *IF* Windows is running on top of a type 1 hypervisor, which certainly isn't the case for a lot of folks. It is for everyone using WSL2, though.
  • kirmgrauza
    JaimeDLH said:
    pcamantea said:
    JaimeDLH said:

These are all just theories, as far as I know, there problem hasn't been completely identified and its cause isolated. But, based on what I've been able to gather:

- The problem does not occur at all if you disable CPU virtualization features in BIOS
    - Apparently, using type 2 hypervisors (VirtualBox, VMWare) does NOT interfere with the sleep feature
    - The problem seems to appear when Hyper-V is enabled (and therefore, Windows itself is running on top of a virtualization layer)
    - Some people exhibiting this problem on other brands' computers have found a solution with a BIOS update

So, my guess here (and for now, it's just that - a guess) is that it could happen to anyone *IF* Windows is running on top of a type 1 hypervisor, which certainly isn't the case for a lot of folks. It is for everyone using WSL2, though.
    I would agree with you. But. Main problem with this laptop was, when you enable Virtualization in BIOS. Computer crashes every time when it goes to sleep. Only fix was to disable Virtualization.

After some thing installed, crashes stopped with Virtualization enabled and Virtualization started working.
This discussion has been closed.