Linux live usb doesn't detect HDD on Aspire 3 a315-56

Answers

• ngrpthomas
    ngrpthomas Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

@Acer-Tommy Hi, can we get a BIIOS update to fix this in the near future please?
  • Simga1986
    Simga1986 Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    Simga1986 said:
    Ishmael said:
    Hello everyone!
    I try to install Linux Mint 19.3 xfce-edition on my laptop Aspire 3 a315-56 (this laptop cames without installed OS). I disabled secure boot and fast boot from BIOS. I also switched sata mode to ahci and updated BIOS to 1.05 version. Live usb starts and work normally, but it is not possible to install OS, because Linux doesn't detect hard drive. I tried different linux distributions: Ubuntu, Debian, Manjaro and I had the same problem.

Live usb with windows 10 recognised HDD normally.

Please, help me with solving this problem! I don't have any idea what to do :-(((
    Hi!!

I have the latest BIOS and with it only NVMe gets detected in AHCI mode. My other Sata 2.5" SSD is still invisible.

To move to the AHCI mode, go to "Main Tab" then press ctrl+s. Change Optane without RAID to AHCI.

Problem solved.

I have the latest Fedora 32 and updated to the latest kernel, packages. My computer has two SSD - one NVMe and other is a SATA 2.5". The 2.5" SSD is not detected either by CloneZilla or Fedora OS upon boot.

First, I updated the system with the latest kernel and packages. Then also the 2.5" SSD was NOT detected. So, I closed the lid of the laptop and the laptop went to sleep. Then I opened the lid again to resume the OS, logged in, and 2.5" SSD showed up but as a removable drive. But, at least it showed up!!

So, to see the other HDD/SSD, just boot into the OS, put the computer to sleep by closing the lid. Resume from sleep and your other HDD/SSD will show up. Simple. 
  • ngrpthomas
    ngrpthomas Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Simga1986 said:
    Simga1986 said:
    Ishmael said:
    Hello everyone!
    I try to install Linux Mint 19.3 xfce-edition on my laptop Aspire 3 a315-56 (this laptop cames without installed OS). I disabled secure boot and fast boot from BIOS. I also switched sata mode to ahci and updated BIOS to 1.05 version. Live usb starts and work normally, but it is not possible to install OS, because Linux doesn't detect hard drive. I tried different linux distributions: Ubuntu, Debian, Manjaro and I had the same problem.

Please, help me with solving this problem! I don't have any idea what to do :-(((
    Hi!!

I have the latest BIOS and with it only NVMe gets detected in AHCI mode. My other Sata 2.5" SSD is still invisible.

To move to the AHCI mode, go to "Main Tab" then press ctrl+s. Change Optane without RAID to AHCI.

Problem solved.

I have the latest Fedora 32 and updated to the latest kernel, packages. My computer has two SSD - one NVMe and other is a SATA 2.5". The 2.5" SSD is not detected either by CloneZilla or Fedora OS upon boot.

First, I updated the system with the latest kernel and packages. Then also the 2.5" SSD was NOT detected. So, I closed the lid of the laptop and the laptop went to sleep. Then I opened the lid again to resume the OS, logged in, and 2.5" SSD showed up but as a removable drive. But, at least it showed up!!

So, to see the other HDD/SSD, just boot into the OS, put the computer to sleep by closing the lid. Resume from sleep and your other HDD/SSD will show up. Simple. 
    Did you boot into it with a live USB?
  • Simga1986
    No. I use Fedora on daily basis.
  • Nic_Tgma
    Nic_Tgma Member Posts: 2 New User
    Simga1986 said:
    Simga1986 said:
    Ishmael said:
    Hello everyone!

Hi!!

Problem solved.

Is there a way to solve this problem without closing the lid?
  • Tyzef
    Tyzef Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi guys,

To me, I tried another HDD brand and it worked, same for a SSD and okay to...

For that 1TB HDD I want to try it as external hard disk and that's it?

Anyway I run my Debian and I am happy !

However, hehe, BIOS update come with ".exe", thank you veryyyyyyyyyy much !!!

Regards,

Tyz
  • Ishmael
    Ishmael Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited October 2020
    Tyzef said:
    Hi guys,

Regards,

Tyz

What HDD brand did you try? Could you tell a specific model? If everything is so simple, I'll just replace HDD in my laptop and will enjoy using linux.
  • Simga1986
    Nic_Tgma said:
    Simga1986 said:
    Simga1986 said:
    Ishmael said:
    Hello everyone!

Hi!!

Problem solved.

I couldn't find any other way. Have posted it as a bug in kernel bugzilla. https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=209419

You can also report there too!! More people report the bug, the better. Also, it can be a BIOS issue too; you never know.
  • Simga1986
    Ishmael said:
    Tyzef said:
    Hi guys,

Regards,

Tyz

What HDD brand did you try? Could you tell a specific model? If everything is so simple, I'll just replace HDD in my laptop and will enjoy using linux.
    Which brand did you use? Please advice. My life will get a lot easier that way.
  • Simga1986
    @Acer-Tommy @Acer-Manny @Acer-Blayn @Acer-Cory @Acer-Mary Sorry for pinging you all but we desperately need BIOS update for this laptop acer a315-56 so that the second hdd/ssd will work in Linux without us putting the laptop to sleep and resuming it. Please help!!
  • Ishmael
    Ishmael Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Simga1986 said:
    @Acer-Tommy @Acer-Manny @Acer-Blayn @Acer-Cory @Acer-Mary Sorry for pinging you all but we desperately need BIOS update for this laptop acer a315-56 so that the second hdd/ssd will work in Linux without us putting the laptop to sleep and resuming it. Please help!!

Exactly! We DESPERATELY need such a BIOS update.

I don't understand why ACER still haven't released such an update. ACER was my favorite brand of laptop until i buy my a315-56. ACER disappointed me very much!!!
  • Nic_Tgma
    Nic_Tgma Member Posts: 2 New User
    Simga1986 said:
    Nic_Tgma said:
    Simga1986 said:
    Simga1986 said:
    Ishmael said:
    Hello everyone!

Hi!!

Problem solved.

I couldn't find any other way. Have posted it as a bug in kernel bugzilla. https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=209419

You can also report there too!! More people report the bug, the better. Also, it can be a BIOS issue too; you never know.

What version of BIOS do you use?
  • Simga1986
    Nic_Tgma said:
    Simga1986 said:
    Nic_Tgma said:
    Simga1986 said:
    Simga1986 said:
    Ishmael said:
    Hello everyone!

Hi!!

Problem solved.

Latest.
  • Simga1986
    Simga1986 said:
    Nic_Tgma said:
    Simga1986 said:
    Nic_Tgma said:
    Simga1986 said:
    Simga1986 said:
    Ishmael said:
    Hello everyone!

Hi!!

Problem solved.

Latest.
    1.16 to be specific.
  • ajaypathak
    ajaypathak Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

So here is a Solution which worked for me. I downloaded old Windows 10 ISO from official windows website. Version 1507 to be precise.

I reinstalled the Windows in AHCI mode. After Installing windows and after first boot, I instantly went to Install Linux (Manjaro Linux). Instead of Dual Booting I installed Manjaro on the whole hard disk.
    In case you dont want to reinstall, Add nvme ssd, Linux detects it easily.

• WongaFlytrapWonga
    WongaFlytrapWonga Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hello all,

Last week I bought an Acer Aspire 315-56 (with 1 TB HDD) and I have been having this same problem. I'm trying to install Ubuntu Studio 20.10, but when I boot into the Live USB it doesn't recognise the hard drive. Has anyone made any more progress on this? I see there is a BIOS update from 28th December (1.18) - might this make a difference?
  • WongaFlytrapWonga
    I've been doing a bit of experimentation with this, and thought I would share the results in case they might shed more light on the issue:
    Updating BIOS to 1.18
    Made no difference.

Installing Ubuntu on HDD
    I was able to achieve this eventually by using the 'close/reopen lid' trick to make the installer see the HDD. I now have a dual-boot running Windows 10 and Ubuntu Studio 20.10. In full, the procedure was:
    1. Disable Fast Boot and Secure Boot (my SATA mode was already set to AHCI).
    2. Boot into live USB.
    3. Close and re-open laptop lid, to make HDD appear.
    4. Proceed with the usual installation steps.
    5. Run Boot-Repair from the Live USB (as the GRUB bootloader didn't show up at first).
    Now, when I switch the laptop on I am presented with the GRUB screen for selecting an OS. If I choose Windows 10 it's fine. If I choose Ubuntu, it reverts to BusyBox and tells me that the HDD doesn't exist.

Trying a Different HDD
    I wondered if the problem might be the HDD itself - unlikely from what I've read, but worth a go. Here's what I did:
    1. Cloned the internal (Western Digital) HDD (with both Windows 10 and Ubuntu installed, as above) to an old Seagate HDD.
    2. Plugged the Seagate HDD into the USB ports using an appropriate SATA adapter, and booted from it.
    As before, I was presented with the GRUB bootloader. But this time, it booted quite happily into either OS.

3. Removed the internal Western Digital HDD, and replaced it with the Seagate HDD (i.e. plugged directly into the SATA).

This time I had the same problem as before - Windows 10 would load fine, but Ubuntu would get stuck because it couldn't see the HDD.

I hope that's of use to someone. At the very least it should save anyone having to attempt the same things.
  • WongaFlytrapWonga
    I've just been doing some experimentation with this, and thought I would share the results in case they might help shed some light on the issue:

Updating BIOS to 1.18
    Made no difference.

Installing Ubuntu to HDD
    By using the 'close/reopen lid' trick to make the installer see the HDD, I was able to install Ubuntu. I now have a dual-boot running Windows 10 and Ubuntu Studio 20.10. The procedure was as follows:

1) Disable Fast Boot and Secure Boot (my SATA mode was already set to AHCI).
    2) Boot into a Live USB.
    3) Close and re-open the laptop lid (to make the HDD appear).
    4) Proceed with the usual installation steps.
    5) Run Boot-Repair from the Live USB (as the GRUB bootloader didn't show up at first).

Now, when I switch the machine on I am presented with the GRUB screen to select an OS. If I choose Windows it works fine. If I choose Ubuntu then it gets stuck and reverts to BusyBox, telling me that my HDD doesn't exist.

Trying a Different HDD
    I wondered if the problem might be the hard drive itself - unlikely from what I've read, but worth investigating. So I:

1) Cloned the internal (Western Digital) HDD (with both Windows and Ubuntu installed, as above) to an old Seagate HDD.
    2) Plugged the Seagate HDD into the USB ports using a standard SATA adapter, and booted from it.

As before I was presented with the GRUB screen. But this time, both operating systems loaded quite happily.

3) Removed the Western Digital HDD and replaced it with the Seagate SDD (i.e. plugged directly into the internal SATA).

This time I had the same problem as before - Windows loaded fine, but Ubuntu wouldn't load because it didn't recognise the hard drive.

I hope that's of use to somebody. At the very least it should prevent anyone having to attempt the same steps!
  • jholt5638
    jholt5638 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited September 2021
    I have this same laptop and having the same issue. If you put the laptop to sleep and then wake it up at the start of the installer the sata drive will show up. Currently there doesn't seem to be a real fix.
    The workaround is adding test_suspend=mem and suspend.pm_test_delay=2 to the kernel boot options. These options test suspend to ram and wake it up after 2 seconds at boot time. But, the thing is most production kernels don't typically have the options compiled in. You either need to compile a custom kernel or suspend and wake before the computer gets to mounting the root / partition

• carnagecox
    carnagecox Member Posts: 1 New User
    jholt5638 said:
    I have this same laptop and having the same issue. If you put the laptop to sleep and then wake it up at the start of the installer the sata drive will show up. Currently there doesn't seem to be a real fix.
    The workaround is adding test_suspend=mem and suspend.pm_test_delay=2 to the kernel boot options. These options test suspend to ram and wake it up after 2 seconds at boot time. But, the thing is most production kernels don't typically have the options compiled in. You either need to compile a custom kernel or suspend and wake before the computer gets to mounting the root / partition

Hiya
    I'm having the same problem as described on this thread.  I've managed to install Linux Mint using the suspend command to make the hdd appear, however now I cannot boot my install!  :'(
    Have you any advice on how to either compile a custom kernel with these options (I tried adding them but thy weren't accepted), or how to suspend and wake at the right time during boot?
    Thanks