Replaced battery cell not charging V5-573

mnorouzi72
mnorouzi72 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi . 
Because My Acer laptop V5-573 battery was out of stock near me , I have replaced battery cell with 4 new cell battery which are 3.7 volt and a bit more in mAh which is 4000 instead if 3460mAh (but as we know it is not a big deal ) .
So after doing this battery won't charge and keep stock on 1 percent .
What is the problem ? I read some battery has internal memory ! which keep some information and the problem is because of that .Is it true ?
Why a battery should have memory ?(SPI flash or something like EEPROM)  and if It is there what should I do ?

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,328 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The remaining battery cells have lost at least an estimated 87%  of their original design capacity. No software will fix this issue. If this is an original battery, all the cells are about 7 years old which is near the end of the expected life for Li ion chemistry. You should google the battery part number 'ap13b3k' to try to find a seller who will ship to your location. Sorry, in my opinion, finding a replacement will be a better and safer use of your time than trying to fix an essentially dead battery.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Yes, the battery has an internal charge regulator board that monitors charge capacity (mAh or mWh) and must interact with the mainboard charge control circuitry. You cannot just replace a cell with another cell of different mAh capacity or the chip can't communicate it's charge level. This is a very common battery used in many different model and is less than $35 with free shipping.  https://www.amazon.com/AP13B3K-R3-471TG-V5-552PG-X809-M5-583P-9688-12-Warranty/dp/B0813DL3QY/ref=asc_df_B0813DL3QY/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=416652333997&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12794540448830019585&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9004037&hvtargid=pla-873038950506&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=100759324064&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=416652333997&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12794540448830019585&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9004037&hvtargid=pla-873038950506

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mnorouzi72

Tinkerer

Thank you .
    Yes ,I found there is a BQ9000 IC from Texas instrument on battery pcb ,I read it's new branded data sheet and reference manual (bq4050) , and I know there is SMBus V1.1 interface to connect to it .(but i don't have any module which support it ) ,But ,I think STM32 has this feature in it's UART configuration , I will check it but ,I don't know will doing this stuff works finally or not ?!
    Also I've seen there is a pin named PRES which I think it is useful in situation like this ,But as datasheet says I've connect this pin to VSS with 10k ohm resistor but nothing has happened .
    So any help in this way will help me .
    (Also I can not purchase new battery from other country at this time so I should repair it by my self (Also I am an electronic engineer  so maybe with a little help I'll be able to fix my problem ) )
    And if this problem is just because mAh of new batter ,I can change to same mAh battery .
  • JackE
    The battery's internal controller may also be defective as well. You should google 'v5-573' (or any of the models listed in the Amazon ad) & 'battery' or the battery type part number 'AP13B3K' from your region to see if any vendors/sellers ship to your location. Aliexpress might. This is a lot safer and more practical than trying to repair a Li-ion battery pack. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mnorouzi72

Tinkerer

No , I don't think controller has been broken just by replacing cells , I think it just needs more knowledge ,also as I know about battery charging usually charging related to voltage not to current ( means mAh is not related in this situation ) so it must be something else ,which I think in this community I can not find the answer and should ask it in electronic community .
  • JackE
    edited October 2020
    Sorry, the Li-ion chemistry charge regulator is not like a lead-acid chemistry voltage regulator. Both  current and voltage regulation must be closely controlled/monitored with Li ion technology due to runaway danger. Lithium ion voltage changes very little with actual state of charge. This is why the Windows command-prompt battery-report application mainly compares actual charge capacity (mWh or mAh) with Li ion design capacity to assess battery health. Unless you are an electrochemist familiar with Li ion chemistry, you are risking a battery fire by mixing individual Li ion cell capacities (mAh or mWh). I suggest that you go to the elevated command prompt.  Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport'. Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer. Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser. Compare design full charge capacity with its remaining full charge capacity. Post screenshot of the first part of the report if possible. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mnorouzi72

Tinkerer

Thank you ,These are screen shot of report :

(The last one is not from report it is from a software i found on internet).

and there is a website which has some detail about my batter it's address is :
    https://sites.google.com/site/jamesskingdom/Home/electronics-by-james-s/inside-manufactured-products 
    and a screen shot of the website :

He or she said if we connect yellow wire to GND it should enable battery output but it did not worked for me !
    I'm one hundred percent sure it should have something like what is in below video clip on youtube :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7Llii69YYM:-1:

------------------------
    even if it does not have something like this and it needs to connect to battery with SMBus interface because windows has it's interface (which by that it can connect to battery and talk to it ) ,There should be a software or .bat or something like to fix the battery .
    It's very bad a battery ruined two day of my life ... 
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    The remaining battery cells have lost at least an estimated 87%  of their original design capacity. No software will fix this issue. If this is an original battery, all the cells are about 7 years old which is near the end of the expected life for Li ion chemistry. You should google the battery part number 'ap13b3k' to try to find a seller who will ship to your location. Sorry, in my opinion, finding a replacement will be a better and safer use of your time than trying to fix an essentially dead battery.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• SmartBatFix
    SmartBatFix Member Posts: 1 New User
     if we connect yellow wire to GND it should enable battery output but it did not worked for me !
       it will not work for your specific case because battery management logic has set Permanent Failure Flag into its built-in EEPROM thus blocking MOSFET operation to prevent further battery usage. It's such a safety protection measure designed by Pack Maker.

I'm one hundred percent sure it should have something like what is in below video clip on youtube
       Yes, something like this. But different batteries have different design, and there is no common method to reset error flags.
       From what me know to reset errors in bq9000 eeprom one need programming board connected to the battery SMBUS line and a software tools.