Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
Can I install an SSD on Acer Z3-600

Best Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    edited October 2020 Answer ✓

Firstly, your Acer Z3-600 is an all in one computer system and you have to be very careful when disassembling it as to not break things and also, its allot of work to change the drive, you have to know what you are doing. To improve perfoormance increase the RAM, CPU and put an SSD and that will increase your performance as the Acer Z3-600 comes with 4GB RAM and a spinner HDD, the CPU is your option (if your OEM CPU is the Intel Pentium J2850 or lower spec) that is if you want to go to the extreme? 

The Acer Z3-600 can take max RAM memory of 8GB-DDR3L-1600 SODIMM and has 1x slot (1 bank of 1) for its RAM and comes with OEM memory of 4GB removable. It also has a serial ATA drive that supports 1x SATA version, SATA 3 - 6GB/s 2.5 inch SSD. You can also upgrade the CPU but, it depends on what your OEM CPU is? If your Acer Z3-600 OEM CPU comes with the socket BGA1170 Intel Pentium J2850 that has no turbo boost and it runs at max 2.41GHz speed with 4 core, 4 threads, 2MB L2 cache and 10W TPD you can upgrade it to the highest spec Intel Pentium J2900 that has turbo boost and has 4 core, 4 threads, 2.41GHz to 2.667GHz, 2MB L2 cache and 10W TPD which is the top of the range and highest CPU that will give you more performance, simple.

• StevenGen
    Answer ✓
    StevenGen...thank you. Great and thorough answer...By the way, I've done replacements of motherboards and hard drives on laptops, so I should be able to handle it. I've worked on computers since the Compaq luggable with extended memory. Just in case you picture with the moniker OldWindowsGuy as an old guy who's never opened a box. But, your caution is very much appreciated.

Yes that’s fair enough but and with AIO’s they are much trickier to open and they do break easily as they are a bugger to work on, that is why I thought to mention and caution a community member and also assist with CPU upgrades and/or mainboard upgrades. I’ve been working on computers since the 386’s days so I’m in the same boat as you. I’ve been a computer engineer and programmer (I’m retired now) and are more than glad to help out on this forum as I have worked on computers since the early 1980’s and I do appreciate your knowledge and/or expertise. I’m glad that I could be of help and cheers.

Answers

• StevenGen
    edited October 2020 Answer ✓

Firstly, your Acer Z3-600 is an all in one computer system and you have to be very careful when disassembling it as to not break things and also, its allot of work to change the drive, you have to know what you are doing. To improve perfoormance increase the RAM, CPU and put an SSD and that will increase your performance as the Acer Z3-600 comes with 4GB RAM and a spinner HDD, the CPU is your option (if your OEM CPU is the Intel Pentium J2850 or lower spec) that is if you want to go to the extreme? 

The Acer Z3-600 can take max RAM memory of 8GB-DDR3L-1600 SODIMM and has 1x slot (1 bank of 1) for its RAM and comes with OEM memory of 4GB removable. It also has a serial ATA drive that supports 1x SATA version, SATA 3 - 6GB/s 2.5 inch SSD. You can also upgrade the CPU but, it depends on what your OEM CPU is? If your Acer Z3-600 OEM CPU comes with the socket BGA1170 Intel Pentium J2850 that has no turbo boost and it runs at max 2.41GHz speed with 4 core, 4 threads, 2MB L2 cache and 10W TPD you can upgrade it to the highest spec Intel Pentium J2900 that has turbo boost and has 4 core, 4 threads, 2.41GHz to 2.667GHz, 2MB L2 cache and 10W TPD which is the top of the range and highest CPU that will give you more performance, simple.

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @StevenGen
    Good comment @SteveGen! Pentium JXXXX series processors are slow, disregard of which processor. Many generations behind the current processors. I would suggest @OldWindowsGuy consider a new PC or at least get a recent year refurbished PC.
  • OldWindowsGuy
    OldWindowsGuy Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

StevenGen...thank you. Great and thorough answer...By the way, I've done replacements of motherboards and hard drives on laptops, so I should be able to handle it. I've worked on computers since the Compaq luggable with extended memory. Just in case you picture with the moniker OldWindowsGuy as an old guy who's never opened a box. But, your caution is very much appreciated.
  • StevenGen
    Answer ✓

Yes that’s fair enough but and with AIO’s they are much trickier to open and they do break easily as they are a bugger to work on, that is why I thought to mention and caution a community member and also assist with CPU upgrades and/or mainboard upgrades. I’ve been working on computers since the 386’s days so I’m in the same boat as you. I’ve been a computer engineer and programmer (I’m retired now) and are more than glad to help out on this forum as I have worked on computers since the early 1980’s and I do appreciate your knowledge and/or expertise. I’m glad that I could be of help and cheers.

• OldWindowsGuy

Tinkerer

sound like you were in similar experience. I still have my Compaq luggable as a souvenir. I was brought into Microsoft to teach their developers Data Warehousing and learned every programming languages from APL and Fortran to SQL, wrote the "Data Developer's Guide to SQL Server" 20 years ago C++ and .NET. Yes, it is nice to be retired, but have been tempted recently with Swift.
  • OldWindowsGuy

Tinkerer

Let me know if you are ever passing through Delaware...
  • StevenGen
    edited October 2020
    Let me know if you are ever passing through Delaware...
     =) That's Biden country, have you visited Joe's bunker? =) I'm a MAGA man hope you are too! =) cheers from Sydney Australia. 
  • OldWindowsGuy

Tinkerer

Also a MAGA man...And  yes, I'm only about 2 miles from his estate. Easy to spot as his entrance and across the street is covered with Secret Service and their cars. People here in DE know many stories about him and his family, but dare not talk about it. I'm relatively new to Delaware, but it's a very small state. Nobody is more than 2-3 degrees away from knowing someone else. I compare it to the town in The Dukes of Hazzard, if you remember that show.