Acer Nitro 5 black screen? Not turning on? Keyboard not working? I may have found the solution.

Tezrah
Tezrah Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

I may have found the solution to some power issues with the Acer Nitro 5. If you have tried to power on your laptop by resetting the battery (holding down the pinhole for 5 sec in the back with some models), or have tried holding down the power button to reset and turn it on again, and it as not worked, it may be a keyboard/hardware issue.

Apparently, there is a pressurized micro-switch somewhere in the middle of the keyboard, near the letters X C V D F. I pressed down near that spot and push the power button at the same time, and finally the laptop turned on. For safe measure, I put pressure on the spot below the letters of the keyboard. This also works the same way when typing with other keys on the keyboard. Don't press down too hard, otherwise you may damage the internal hardware.

Answers

• I know it is a solution. However, would you be interested in informing the exact model of your notebook? Example AN515-51-75KZ. I could look in the manual if there are any buttons next to the XCVDF keys and post here.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Tezrah

Tinkerer

AN517-51-56YW. Thanks!
  • This is the photo from the back:

Should there be any connectors here?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Tezrah

Tinkerer

I'm not sure what to look for. This is the back of my laptop.

• it should probably be on the other side of the motherboard.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Genghis_Kock
    Genghis_Kock Member Posts: 1 New User
    I'm having similar issues. Seems when i rotate screen, opening and closing, helps. When i push hard on the XCVDF keys it worked. 
  • but when you release the XVCD keys, does the notebook turn off?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Tezrah

Tinkerer

When I release the keys, the keyboard stops working. Everything else runs fine.

I ordered a small screwdriver to open up the backside and will update you with another photo when I can get it done.
  • ok my friend.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Tezrah

Tinkerer

Any suggestions? I did not see any connectors where you had circled. I think the connection circled in red on my photo may be the issue - maybe it was loose? It is near the spot that I press down to get the keyboard working. I will wait for your response before I put it back together again to try it out. Thank you for your help!
  • Just one question: is your notebook under warranty? At the top of the motherboard, can you see any buttons similar to this one?
    Acer nitro A515-51-78D6 no liga depois de instalar o SSD  Acer

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Tezrah

Tinkerer

Yes it is under warranty, but I was trying to fix it myself first. I don't think I could find the button that you circled.

As an update, I put my laptop back together, and it works now! I think it was the main connection from the keyboard into the motherboard that was loose, the area that I connection that I circled in my previous post. It would make sense because I put pressed down near that spot on the keyboard to get it to work sometimes. Thank you so much for your help again!
  • Try placing a few layers of electrical tape so that the keyboard connector does not disconnect again.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Kamado
    Kamado Member Posts: 1 New User
    acer AN517-51. Some of my key(T, U, P, V,5,1,3,6,DEL,SPACE,VOL LOW, BRI HIG)are not working and I don't have hole in the back of my laptop so i can't do battery reset. Please tell me how to solve this problem
  • @Kamado Ideally, you should create a new topic and add me by placing an @.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• NopeInserts
    NopeInserts Member Posts: 1 New User
    The model of my Acer Nitro 5 is AN515-54-760U I can't tell if it's a problem with my laptop or the power key itself but it just won't turn on. The light that indicates that it's charging isn't working either.
    Help!
  • @Nopelnserts Ideally, you should create a new topic and add me by placing an @.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• filiaap
    filiaap Member Posts: 2 New User
    This seems to be a keyboard issue and the masses of people having this in 2019 even with a brand new laptops are quite high leading to a possible fabrication error.
  • fazedump
    fazedump Member Posts: 44 Troubleshooter
    this may fix my problem thx u very much
  • DabNaggit
    DabNaggit Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited October 2020
    I had this happen after redoing my thermal paste, etc. Tried to fire it up before closing it up and it did the black screen, etc.

The pressure switch is under the panel covering the RAM. It's small. A little black box with a smaller black pin poking upwards that is pushed in when the cover is in place. Start there. I figured saving someone this hassle (and brick-sh*tting) was worth registering to comment.