SF314-42 doesn't wake up from sleep mode, Windows restarts instead, please help!

Answers

• So the problem was solved?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Tarik02
    Tarik02 Member Posts: 28 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    So the problem was solved?
    From my point of view, no.
  • Tarik02
    edited October 2020
    I've downloaded latest Radeon Adrenaline drivers from amd.com . All other drivers are updated to latest version. PC wakes up from sleep and doesn't crash.

Do you have this device:

And which driver version it has? Can you post the same screen for device "Acer Inc. Sys..."?

P.S. If you can, please post screenshot of your msinfo32
  • kirmgrauza
    kirmgrauza Member Posts: 99 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Which part of msinfo32 do you want?

• JaimeDLH
    JaimeDLH Member Posts: 43 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Hi all, received my SF314-42 yesterday. It's a sweet machine, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, and the Ryzen 5 4500U which is blazing fast.

I need WSL2 and Docker for my workflow, and of course was bitten by this problem (which, as some of you have pointed out, is completely related to virtualization with Ryzen 4*00 CPUs). Definitely a serious issue.

I have tried updating BIOS to 1.07 and nothing, problem persists. Also tried using Radeon drivers downloaded from the AMD web; while they work, they don't solve this particular problem, so I rolled back to the drivers in Acer support page.

If you read this thread on GitHub, many people are complaining about this problem. It seems a BIOS update can fix it (a BIOS update fixed it for HP ENVY and Lenovo users, per that thread), so we can expect that a future BIOS update can fix it too for our device.
  • Tarik02

Did you intentionally update Acer System Firmware (not BIOS)? How did u do that?
  • JaimeDLH
    Tarik02 said:

Did you intentionally update Acer System Firmware (not BIOS)? How did u do that?
    I did that too, I have System Firmware 1.04 on my device manager. I just clicked "Update Driver" on that screen and it downloaded and installed version 1.04. It did not solve the problem at hand, though.
  • JaimeDLH
    I created a support ticket for this issue by chatting with a support agent. It might be useful if more people do that, in addition to posting here on the forum, to provide visibility to the issue.
  • I would check if version 1.07 of the bios fixes these problems:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Tarik02
    JaimeDLH said:
    Tarik02 said:

I did that too, I have System Firmware 1.04 on my device manager. I just clicked "Update Driver" on that screen and it downloaded and installed version 1.04. It did not solve the problem at hand, though.
    I have Acer Inc. System Firmware 1.03. If I try to update the driver, it does not update anything. Windows Update also says that there is nothing to update. Maybe there should be BIOS 1.07 and that driver 1.04 to make sleep normally working, but not sure.
  • If you update the bios with the file provided by acer, the bios will be in the latest version. The firmware driver is only updated when it is available in the microsoft catalog: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=5.41.1.4

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Tarik02
    Can also mention that this device's driver was updated a week ago, seems to happen after I updated my BIOS version. But it was updated only to version 5.41.1.3. Meantime JaimeDLH has 5.41.1.4 version.

• Do you know what was the previous version of the bios? In addition, I do not recommend downgrading the bios, as it is a more risky procedure than updating the bios. If the problem occurred after updating the bios, try this procedure:
    a) access the bios and then press f9 to restore it. Then click save and shut down;
    b) then, reset the battery:
    c) if the above procedure does not work, try to update the drivers on the intel and nvidia website and windows by windows update;
    d) also try to update the bios to version 1.07.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JaimeDLH
    I would check if version 1.07 of the bios fixes these problems:

It does not. I have BIOS v1.07 installed, and the System Firmware (on the Device Manager) is v1.04 (5.41.1.4).

I updated the BIOS with the available download from the product support page, and the System Firmware directly from the Device Manager > Update driver, after I had updated the BIOS.

• Tarik02
    Do you know what was the previous version of the bios? In addition, I do not recommend downgrading the bios, as it is a more risky procedure than updating the bios. If the problem occurred after updating the bios, try this procedure:
    a) access the bios and then press f9 to restore it. Then click save and shut down;
    b) then, reset the battery:
    c) if the above procedure does not work, try to update the drivers on the intel and nvidia website and windows by windows update;
    d) also try to update the bios to version 1.07.
    I restored bios, saved and shut down. Then I had reset battery. Restarted, windows update is empty. What about nvidia/intel, this laptop has only intel wifi. BIOS is already 1.07, before I updated system firmware from 1.03 to 1.04 with you cab file. The problem is still here. Laptop falls asleep (but takes 10-25 seconds to disabled keyboard backlit), then if I try to wake it up, backlit turns off, but display does not. After some time like a minute, laptop just reboots.

• try disabling fastboot in the bios and disable fast start-up in the power options.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Tarik02
    try disabling fastboot in the bios and disable fast start-up in the power options.
    That does not help.
  • JaimeDLH
    try disabling fastboot in the bios and disable fast start-up in the power options.
    Just gave this a shot, even though I wasn't expecting it to solve the issue. I can confirm it does not work, the problem is still there.
  • kirmgrauza
    kirmgrauza Member Posts: 99 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Fast boot has nothing to do with it. It's ON on my computer. And everything works perfectly. I'm putting a screenshot with a proof that it works. VMware machine is running, so virtualization is enabled.

• JaimeDLH
    Fast boot has nothing to do with it. It's ON on my computer. And everything works perfectly. I'm putting a screenshot with a proof that it works. VMware machine is running, so virtualization is enabled.

Interesting. It would seem that the problem isn't related to virtualization per se, but it's something specific to WSL2/Hyper-V. Odd that a BIOS update seemed to fix it in other brand's models, it seems that the problem is more complex that it seems at first glance.

With WSL2 activated, and the software versions that I have (Windows 1909 version 18363.1110; BIOS v1.07; System Firmware 1.04), the problem is still active. I have no choice but to disable it until a solution can be found.
This discussion has been closed.