My acer swift 3 went blank

JackieChan12345
JackieChan12345 Member Posts: 15

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I did the battery reset for my acer swift 3 (whose screen went blank suddenly) by putting a pin in the hole on the back but still it won't turn on. Same thing happened with it few months back and it turned back on after 2 days. Should I again wait for 2 days or is there any alternate solution???

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    (1) Blank screen with backlight visible or black screen with no backlight visible?
    (2) Do you get an ACER logo screen when first turning on machine?
    (3) Do you see images when pointing flashlight at screen?
    (4) Are any LEDs lit?
    (5) Have you tried press and holding the paperclip into the battery reset pinhole for at least 30 seconds without being plugged in?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackieChan12345

Tinkerer

No sort of activity is shown by it. There is not light even on putting it on a charge or on pressing the start button. I already did that battery reset thing. It's been 24 hrs since it went blank. My laptop model is SF315-52G
  • JackieChan12345

Tinkerer

Same thing happened to it few months back and then also it was dead for around a day but starting working fine after it. But before that it won't turn on.
  • JackE
    What is your full ACER swift 3 model number? SF31x-xx? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackieChan12345

Tinkerer

My laptop model is SF315-52G.
  • JackE
    Have you had the bottom cover off for any reason? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackieChan12345

Tinkerer

Yes I got the bottom cover off once when it went blank for the first time.
  • JackE
    Remove the charger. Take the bottom cover off again. Disconnect the battery from the mainboard. Then see if you can find two or more spring-loaded push button switches. In particular, one switch near the memory module sockets. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackieChan12345

Tinkerer

I don't know how to remove a battery. Should I take it to a care center? Also I read on one our post to put pin in the battery reset hole while pressing and holding the power key. Do you think I should try that?
  • JackE
    Is it still under warranty? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackieChan12345

Tinkerer

No it's not.
  • JackE
    OK. Remove the battery pack and see if you can find at least two spring-load button switches. One of them might be a safety switch which cuts power to the mainboard if the bottom cover is loose or  misaligned with the switch. In other words, the bottom cover must press hard enough against  this switch to keep it in the on state. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackieChan12345

Tinkerer

I am opening the back cover now. However today I went to the care center and the care center guy told me that there is a problem with the motherboard. But I was not convinced with what he said because it started on its own when it was dead last time.
  • JackE
    Sorry I did not post an image of the two screws you must remove from the battery pack. First disconnect the battery from the mainboard. Then remove the screws and lift battery out. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackieChan12345

Tinkerer

Can you please tell me what to do next??
  • JackE
    You must search for spring-loaded button switches on the mainboard. The safety button switch is usually located around the periphery of the RAM module sockets. It would probably be in line with a protrusion on the inside of the bottom cover so when the cover is in place it would depress the button to keep power supplied to the mainboard. If the  bottom cover is loose or misaligned with this button switch so that it's not pressed hard enough by the cover, then the laptop will not turn on. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackieChan12345

Tinkerer

Can you please send a photo indicating where it is, I am actually not able to locate it.
  • JackE
    Sorry no because some mainboards do not come equipped with the safety button switch. All I can say is that it's usually located around the periphery of the RAM modules. Can you at least find the pinhole battery reset switch? It should be in line with the pinhole in the bottom cover. The safety button switch should look similar to the battery button reset  switch. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackieChan12345

Tinkerer

Oh okay, I got the battery reset switch but I am not able to find any other switch like. Guess there is a motherboard failure but didn't expected it to happen as it is just a year and half old and I was not doing any heavy activity on it. A new motherboard costs around 38,000 INR whereas the actual price is 54,000 INR. Not so great experience with this thing just a waste of a money😞😞
  • JackE
    Check to make sure the power button board's ribbon cable is secure in the mainboard socket. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ