Does a USB 2.0 and USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A have different speed and capacity?

GJG10
GJG10 Member Posts: 48 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello

I don't know if this is an issue but I used to connect my USB hub in my USB 2.0 port with keyboard and mouse plugged in the hub. Back then, it seems to work fine and no issues encountered. But today, when I plugged both of my peripherals in my USB hub (plugged in to the USB 2.0 port), the mouse buttons are not working. It seems I need to spam clicking it in order to function, it is like a delay or something. I tried unplugging my keyboard and the mouse buttons works fine now. Also, I tried plugging in my USB hub to another port, this time to the USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A port. And it works fine, mouse buttons are now functioning well with no delays and also my keyboard is working fine. Both are plugged in to the USB hub. 

Now back to my question, Does a USB 2.0 and USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A have different speed and capacity? And how come plugging in my USB hub in USB 2.0 used to work fine back then but today It doesn't anymore. I'm really don't think if my USB ports are faulty since I used to plug my peripherals directly and it seems to work fine.

I haven't tried plugging in a USB hub with peripherals connected to my other laptop. I guess I'll try and see if I have the same issuse.

Thank you in advance for the answers

P. S. My USB drivers in device manager are working properly. Acer Nitro 5 AN515-43-R2WK

Answers

• batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    I would blame either the hub or the USB 2.0 port but first I would try with another hub or device. To the question yes USB 3.1 is faster than USB 2.0 but for such low data transfer like KB and mouse it shouldn't be noticeable.
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• GJG10
    GJG10 Member Posts: 48 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    batmalin said:
    I would blame either the hub or the USB 2.0 port but first I would try with another hub or device. To the question yes USB 3.1 is faster than USB 2.0 but for such low data transfer like KB and mouse it shouldn't be noticeable.
    I haven't tried using another USB hub but my friend told me to either buy a high quality USB 2.0 hub or buy a USB 3.0 hub just to be sure. Also, I'm pretty much sure my nitro laptop's ports are fine since I tried direct plugged my peripherals.

Since the USB hub has 4 ports, I plugged my mouse, keyboard, vacuum cooler, and headphones adapter. I just don't get it why only my mech keyboard keeps disconnecting but my remaining 3 devices are fine and no disconnection issues. But this time, I tried a new budget keyboard and only the mouse buttons are not responding or has a delay. 

I also asked my friend and he said just stay with the current USB hub and connect it to the USB 3.1 port. 

I really have no idea why this problem didn't happened back then. My USB hub seems to be fine connected to the USB 2.0 port last month, but today this issue occurred. 

Anyway thank you for the reply, much appreciated

• batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    Try the hub on some other PCs/laptops to exclude or confirm hub failure and you are welcome.
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158