Will not run on battery Aspire A515-51G

PulpHerb
PulpHerb Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have an Aspire A515-51G.  The battery reads as full.  If I unplug the AC adapter or try to return from hibernate without the AC adapter connected it will stay on before at max a minute or two then shutdown completely.  If I try to restart without the AC adapter, it doesn't even fully come up.  As soon as I plug back in it runs fine.

How do I find the cause and repair this.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,433 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Open DeviceManager. Click battery folder. Right click and uninstall every device driver that you find in this folder. Exit DeviceManager without re-installing anything. Shut down Windows normally. Turn the machine on again and boot into Windows. When the battery charge LED turns from orange to blue, pull the plug to see how long the battery lasts. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Go to the elevated command prompt.  Enter 'powercfg   /batteryreport'. Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer. Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser. Compare design capacity with full charge capacity. Post screenshot of the top portion of report if possible. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• PulpHerb

Battery report

COMPUTER NAMESERRAINE
    SYSTEM PRODUCT NAMEAcer Aspire A515-51G
    BIOSV1.08 06/15/2017
    OS BUILD18362.1.amd64fre.19h1_release.190318-1202
    PLATFORM ROLEMobile
    CONNECTED STANDBYNot supported
    REPORT TIME2020-09-1709:30:42

Installed batteries

Information about each currently installed battery
    BATTERY 1
    NAMEPABAS0241231
    MANUFACTURERCOMPAL
    SERIAL NUMBER41167
    CHEMISTRYLi-I
    DESIGN CAPACITY48,944 mWh
    FULL CHARGE CAPACITY45,995 mWh
    CYCLE COUNT-
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Open DeviceManager. Click battery folder. Right click and uninstall every device driver that you find in this folder. Exit DeviceManager without re-installing anything. Shut down Windows normally. Turn the machine on again and boot into Windows. When the battery charge LED turns from orange to blue, pull the plug to see how long the battery lasts. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• PulpHerb
    Well, I've been on battery over 30 minutes so that seems to have solved it.  Thanks.
  • JackE
    Congrats. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it lasts at least another half hour.  :)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• PulpHerb
    Was able to run on battery long enough to get the battery warning.  Now plugged in again.

Will try again tomorrow out of paranoia before Saturday when I'll need battery usage.
  • JackE
    Did you get an hour out of it at least? Try reducing the brightness. That usually helps a lot. Also uninstall, not just disable, any non-Microsoft antivirus that might be running in the background as they can be a useless power drain and system drag when browsing. Windows Defender and MaliciousSoftwareRemovalTool are all most folks need these days.    Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ