Acer Aspire 5

System
System Member Posts: 4,513 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
This discussion was created from comments split from: USB-C to HDMI adapter not working on Acer Aspire 5. Please help!!.

Answers

• BoloBagz
    BoloBagz Member Posts: 2 New User
    Following up to my post the other day, I am now successfully running two screens (in addition to the laptop screen) by using HDMI to VGA and USB 3.0 to VGA adapters on my Aspire 5, so it can be done on my model at least. For the USB to VGA, the driver had to be installed first.
    Hey Mason I'am having the same problem and was just wondering if you could leave a link as to what it was you bought for your Laptop as i already have a HDMI to HDMI cable for one monitor what cable would i need for the second monitor in order for it to work? 

Much appreciated
    A fellow aspire 5 user
  • BoloBagz
    BoloBagz Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hey, that's great news! We have the exact same Acer model. Can you send the link of exactly what adapters you purchased on Amazon.ca or anywhere else? I'll buy the same ones. I have HDMI to HDMI so I guess I would need USB 3.0 (laptop) to VGA (monitor) since USB-C is not working for ours.

How do you install the driver for USB to VGA?

Thanks in advance!
    Hey Waleed, was wondering if you were able to find a solution to the problem and how you may have fixed it

Much appreciated
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,328 Trailblazer
    Some USB gen1 ports support video out. Some don't. For the one's that don't, you need to use a costlier smart active USB-to-video signal converter, not a simple passive USB to HDMI or Displayport adapter which simply change the connector form factor and no signal conversion. Some folks have reported success with the following USB to video converters.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• waleedk3
    waleedk3 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

BoloBagz said:
    Hey, that's great news! We have the exact same Acer model. Can you send the link of exactly what adapters you purchased on Amazon.ca or anywhere else? I'll buy the same ones. I have HDMI to HDMI so I guess I would need USB 3.0 (laptop) to VGA (monitor) since USB-C is not working for ours.

How do you install the driver for USB to VGA?

Thanks in advance!
    Hey Waleed, was wondering if you were able to find a solution to the problem and how you may have fixed it

Much appreciated
    Hey I bought this. ThatMasonKid sent me this link. 

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00698ZUHK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Olugbenga
    Olugbenga Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hi
    I used this for windows on my Aspire. Click to see adapter

Now I have to use a Linux operating system on my Aspire 5. Any suggestions on how to get dual monitors that extend the view. I am not familiar with Linux but work requires it. Thanks in advance!
  • JackE
    I think you should first find out what Linux distribution you're required to use on your Aspire5. Some distributions may or  may not support it. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Olugbenga
    Olugbenga Member Posts: 3 New User
    Thank you for your reply JackE.

The adapter above did not work on this Linux distribution as you called it. I am not sure of what to do.
    However how do I know what distribution I have and what are my options now?
  • JackE
    Ask whoever you work for what Linux distrubution you have. There are dozens that also have additional update versions. Kali, Fedora,  Mint, Linpus, SuSE, Arch, etc. Some may be able to handle it with a Windows overlay for Linux called WINE if the active adapter depends on a Windows driver. If your work requires Linux I think you need to find out what Linux distribution and update version you have. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ