My acer nitro 5 AN515-54-521N reaches 92degree C (CPU)while playing NFS payback?is it normal?

jerinjoy299
jerinjoy299 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
it has been only 11 days since i bought my laptop Acer NITRO 5- AN515-54-521N .And when playing Need For Speed Heat and payback it reached 92 degrees Celsius and fluctuated in the range of 85-90 degree Celsius while i played the game the fans where running above 5400 rpm the GPU reached 69 degree C. i wanted t know if this was the normal temperature for everyone or if my laptop is having any heating issues on my searching the net i found max temperature for most people were less than 85 and for many it was in the range 68-75 degree C.Can anyone please clear my doubt .Thanks in advance friends.

Best Answer

• Sumanth
    Sumanth Member Posts: 103 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Like i said, you can only HOPE for better thermal paste application this time (they'll still use the same paste), its just a common practice that employees try to rush it all the time and when thousands of units are on the line.. care is something which comes in secondary. 
    My advice is to you is that, firstly, check as many games/benchmarks/stress tests out there, compare it with people who have the same product. If you have similar performance, you're fine. If your performance/thermals are significantly poor, it's better to make use of the replacement and warranty features.
    Use what you paid for, but yes, I've heard that the employees aren't that great.
    Here are some videos to show you the temps (all of these are not exact models but you get the idea): 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbAsXv01WUg (high temps - normal)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N1lwlntW6w (exact model i guess - high temps - normal)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obQ0wZLJkzY (low temps + cooling pad + undervolt - too much)
    in the last video, if you concentrate on the cpu frequency you can see that its quite low, cpu frequency can fluctuate, go all the way to 4 GHz, or down to 3.4 ish, but never really as low as shown in this video especially when theres load. Check the CPU frequency difference between 2nd and 3rd video and the impact it has on temp but i think the guys using dual channel memory in the 3rd one.
    You can get better temps by limiting the performance.
    So keep an eye out, people claiming to get lower thermals have either undervolted to a good extent, or a little too much that its stopping their hardware from outputting the best fps.
    If you dont mind the drop in performance, go ahead, but don't compare your stock machine with these tweaked machines.
    Give undervolting a shot yourself.
    But again, this game runs hot, its just how it is, check others too.
    And coming to tampering with parts, i don't trust either the employees or the people that claim that its been tampered with, but you have your warranty, unless that's being void in some way, you are fine. 
    If you get back something even worse, if you have replacement as an option do that. But I'm kinda sure that, your machine is totally normal.
    Here's what you can do which could work, right click on the battery indicator in system tray, choose power options. It should be on Acer mode by default, change it to "Balanced (recommended)" mode. This'll stop pinning the cores to 4.0GHz and let them fluctuate more, you can also set the performance slider to battery saver and see if that works. IMO, balanced mode should work for you. It wont drastically decrease temps, it'll still peak, but not as much.

Answers

• Sumanth
    I've tried the game myself when I bought my Acer Predator Helios 300 and i got an average temperature of 91 C (peaks at 95). I think its just how the game runs and don't compare it to other dektops, but only laptops which weren't tinkered with (stock only - out of the box).
    But still, try out other games, see if you're throttling in every game/most of the games. Try using stress tests.
    You can try undervolting and see if the problem still persists (it does on mine). I've verified with others myself and most have similar temperatures in this game (and NFS payback too).

Old laptops usually overheat due to blocked vents, but as you say that its new, the thermal paste is the one to be blamed imo.
    Peaking at these temps is kinda expected, but averaging is not IDEAL.
    I say IDEAL, because most gaming laptops get shipped with sub par thermal paste, and will perform like this, THIS IS NORMAL, if you are a power user and if you are really concerned about it, send it back for repasting and see if it gets better (they'll still use the same thing, but maybe better application, I've heard people say they do accept if you provide your own paste).
    But if you want to get the best temps, undervolting + repasting + lifting the back a few inches off / using cooling pad will help you.

Regardless NFS Heat and Payback will run considerably hotter than other games as they use both CPU and GPU extensively.

• jerinjoy299
    Sumanth said:
    I've tried the game myself when I bought my Acer Predator Helios 300 and i got an average temperature of 91 C (peaks at 95). I think its just how the game runs and don't compare it to other dektops, but only laptops which weren't tinkered with (stock only - out of the box).
    But still, try out other games, see if you're throttling in every game/most of the games. Try using stress tests.
    You can try undervolting and see if the problem still persists (it does on mine). I've verified with others myself and most have similar temperatures in this game (and NFS payback too).

Old laptops usually overheat due to blocked vents, but as you say that its new, the thermal paste is the one to be blamed imo.
    Peaking at these temps is kinda expected, but averaging is not IDEAL.
    I say IDEAL, because most gaming laptops get shipped with sub par thermal paste, and will perform like this, THIS IS NORMAL, if you are a power user and if you are really concerned about it, send it back for repasting and see if it gets better (they'll still use the same thing, but maybe better application, I've heard people say they do accept if you provide your own paste).
    But if you want to get the best temps, undervolting + repasting + lifting the back a few inches off / using cooling pad will help you.

Regardless NFS Heat and Payback will run considerably hotter than other games as they use both CPU and GPU extensively.

Sir thank you very much for your detailed answer. I have contacted acer and conveyed my worries they have asked me to bring it to the service center.But as i am quite new with laptops i have some other worries.I have heard many people saying that they had more problems after the service guys opened the laptops . They have even suspected that the service guys tampered with the parts. Should i be concerned with my parts being tampered with if i give it to service. As my product is only 2 weeks old i am not t all happy about having this situation. if you could can you please comment about my concers. i am very much grateful to you for your detailed and to the point answer. But i have seen in reviews that for many people the temperatures peaked upto 80-85 max.
  • Sumanth
    Answer ✓
    Like i said, you can only HOPE for better thermal paste application this time (they'll still use the same paste), its just a common practice that employees try to rush it all the time and when thousands of units are on the line.. care is something which comes in secondary. 
    My advice is to you is that, firstly, check as many games/benchmarks/stress tests out there, compare it with people who have the same product. If you have similar performance, you're fine. If your performance/thermals are significantly poor, it's better to make use of the replacement and warranty features.
    Use what you paid for, but yes, I've heard that the employees aren't that great.
    Here are some videos to show you the temps (all of these are not exact models but you get the idea): 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N1lwlntW6w (exact model i guess - high temps - normal)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obQ0wZLJkzY (low temps + cooling pad + undervolt - too much)
    in the last video, if you concentrate on the cpu frequency you can see that its quite low, cpu frequency can fluctuate, go all the way to 4 GHz, or down to 3.4 ish, but never really as low as shown in this video especially when theres load. Check the CPU frequency difference between 2nd and 3rd video and the impact it has on temp but i think the guys using dual channel memory in the 3rd one.
    So keep an eye out, people claiming to get lower thermals have either undervolted to a good extent, or a little too much that its stopping their hardware from outputting the best fps.
    If you dont mind the drop in performance, go ahead, but don't compare your stock machine with these tweaked machines.
    And coming to tampering with parts, i don't trust either the employees or the people that claim that its been tampered with, but you have your warranty, unless that's being void in some way, you are fine. 
    If you get back something even worse, if you have replacement as an option do that. But I'm kinda sure that, your machine is totally normal.
    Here's what you can do which could work, right click on the battery indicator in system tray, choose power options. It should be on Acer mode by default, change it to "Balanced (recommended)" mode. This'll stop pinning the cores to 4.0GHz and let them fluctuate more, you can also set the performance slider to battery saver and see if that works. IMO, balanced mode should work for you. It wont drastically decrease temps, it'll still peak, but not as much.
  • jerinjoy299
    Sumanth said:
    Hello sir i'm very much grateful to your valuable information and at the same time amazed to see that how much of an effort you have put to answer my worries. I gave my laptop to the service Centre and received it today they told me that it had heat issues and there was some problem with the But I was sad to find out that there was no change and th temperatures were same as before service.They peaked to 90 and varied in between mostly 86-90 range.I am totally sad and confused abou what to do upon my reading i found out that the safe temperature for my CPU was around 85 and not exceeding.Even though i saw some videos with approx same temperatures as mine .I am now confused why did acer sa my product did have overheat issues.i Hope god helps me with this i am deeply sad as i waited and took so much time in buying a laptop and now this is my situation.