Battery Indicator Light Stays On Even After Unplugging Charger Model Aspire A715-74G.

AJ7
AJ7 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello, I have an Aspire A715-74G.
I have had some issues with this laptop before and even sent it to the Acer Service Center, the motherboard of this laptop was recently replaced under the warranty.

After receiving the laptop back, a new problem occurred. I noticed that when I unplug my charger after the battery light turns blue, the light stays blue despite not connected to the charger anymore. This happens when the laptop is off, the light would stay on until I turn on the laptop, in which case the battery light indicator would turn off and the power light indicator would turn on. If I charge the laptop while it is on and unplug it, the blue light would stay on only for a few seconds after unplugging.

Other than the light issue, my laptop seems to be working normally. I can turn it on and off just fine and the operation seems normal.

Is there anyway I can fix this? Does this indicate a more serious issue with the hardware, or is it a software related issue?

Thank you very much.

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• Try restarting the battery. Turn off the laptop, disconnect the power adapter and press the power for 12 seconds and leave the laptop off for 20 minutes. Also inform the version of the bios.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • tarantzilla
    tarantzilla Member Posts: 4 New User
    I had a similar problem with a competitor's laptop. (I will not mention the brand name in deference to ACER.) I am not inferring that your problem is the same as mine; but rather, I'm trying to offer some insight from a parallel situation.

It seems that the pilot lights on my machine were controlled by the power circuitry on the mother board (i.e., hardware controlled), while the appearance and warnings offered by Windows on the Taskbar's little battery icon are controlled by Windows' software. And these two systems apparently either don't share a common logic, or a common data input source (e.g., battery voltage, or amperage usage), or both. Each lives in its own private little world. And if one has a "psychotic episode" it normally doesn't effect the other. We hope.

Thus, Windows would report "Fully charged," while the ***** light glowed a semi-hysterical, flashing orange, suggesting that the machine was about to crater! But if I unplugged the power supply, thereby switching to the battery, I could continue using the laptop for several hours before Windows would become semi-hysterical as well.

So one day I performed a little experiment. Late in the evening as I was preparing to shut down, I instead altered the Power Options menu by creating a new power plan ("Stan's Got Power" - Okay, so I'm a bit of a clown!) dropping the critical settings to 3%, and setting everything else to what I interpreted as maximum power consumption. And I set the parameters for "Power buttons and lid > Lid close action > Do nothing/Do nothing." Because the laptop was in my bedroom, this ensured that I could close the lid and go to sleep without shutting the machine down. (Google something like "setting windows power options" for details.)

By the next morning it had run out of juice and quietly shut itself down. And it would only try to start, then crash if I pushed the start button. I plugged it back in, and booted it. The ***** light was a solid orange (as expected, since it was charging), and Windows reported something to the effect of "Plugged in, charging." An hour later the ***** light was a solid green and Windows reported "100%." Because Windows had been correct and the ***** light was wrong, this would suggest that there was a problem with the mother board's circuitry rather than the operating system.

I then created a new, custom power plan for normal day to day use, keeping the "Stan's Got Power" for resetting the machine when necessary. And thereafter, I had to reperform that shutdown operation between once a week and once a month to stop the flashing ***** light. Better than a year later that machine experienced a very quick, painless death for a reason unrelated to the power supply indicators. This would suggest that the problem fell into the minor nuisance category rather than the hysterical failure category.

IF YOUR PROBLEM IS THE SAME AS MINE, you've already changed the motherboard once. So, I wouldn't presume to make any recommendations.

I hope this helps. Best of luck.

• AJ7

Tinkerer

@egydiocoelho thank you so much for your suggestion!

I tried resetting the battery. When I turned my laptop on again, the screen turned on and off before finally turning on as usual, is that normal? The time on Windows was not updated too, but after restarting once, the laptop could turn on and off as usual.

Regarding the battery light issue, I tried charging it until the light turned blue and removed the charger. The blue light was still on but only for a little while before turning off, so that's an improvement. I will keep monitoring the laptop, hopefully the next time it I charge it, it will return to normal.
  • AJ7

Tinkerer

@tarantzilla thank you so much for sharing your experience. Since my laptop's motherboard just got replaced, I really hope that there is nothing wrong with the motherboard, hopefully it is just a minor issue.
  • AJ7

Tinkerer

@egydiocoelho sorry, I just realized I forgot to write the BIOS version. It says Insyde Corp. V1.23. Also, I am sorry to ask you a question again, Acer Service Center told me that there is a possibility of defective indicator light and they want to check the laptop again. Have you ever encountered an issue caused by defective light before? Do you think it could be related to the motherboard again? Thank you very much. 
  • What happens when you disconnect the lition battery?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)