Recently got the BSOD and getting exception thread error

_chacha
_chacha Member Posts: 27

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have an Acer Aspire Es1-512.  Recently got the BSOD and getting exception thread error.  PC attempts to repair itself but it 's in a constant loop.  Happening now for 3 days.  Tried the 3 times shutting down and I am not getting the advance options screen.  Also did F8 and it doesn't give me any options to start in safe mode.  Please help I am stumped.  

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Win8x or Win10? Check for battery reset pinhole on bottom of laptop. If it exists, press and hold power button to shut laptop off. Remove charger and gently insert paperclip into pinhole for 30 seconds. Then plug the charger back in and try to boot again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• _chacha

Tinkerer

Thanks. This model has no battery but i found a pin hole and did as you said 2X.  Still got the same BSOD  and looping.  It says preparing repair, then it tries to install then BSOD, this process just continues in a loop.  
  • JackE
    What was the original factory installed Windows version? Win8x or Win10? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• _chacha

Tinkerer

Win10 original factory install
  • JackE
    Press and hold power button till machine shuts off. Then turn it back on and immediately starting tapping the F2 key to enter the BIOS menu. If you can enter the menu, does the Information and Boot tabs show a HDD or SSD present? In the Main tab, are the F12 and D2D options both enabled? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• _chacha

Tinkerer

Yes Both F12 and D2D are enabled.  
    HDD: ST500LT012-1DG142, USB FDD:, USB HDD:, USB CDROM: are listed
  • JackE
    OK. Press and hold the power button till the laptop shuts off again. Then turn it back on and immediately press and hold the ALT key while tapping F10. A recovery screen should appear. Follow directions to first try a refresh while saving your personal files. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• _chacha

Tinkerer

Still getting BSOD and Looping  to repair, install then BSOD
  • _chacha

Tinkerer

edited September 2020
    Hi Jack, appreciate your help thus far.  I think a need a USB boot disk.  I've got the PC to boot from the USB drive and it says no bootable device insert boot disk and press any key.  I don't have another ACER PC only a lenovo.  How do I create a boot disk and put on a USB?
  • JackE
    Use the Lenovo to prepare a generic Win10 installation boot stick using Microsoft's media creation tool for installation on another PC at this link.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• _chacha

Tinkerer

Thank you.  I downloaded and was able to boot opening a command prompt.  The startup repair didn't work.  Reinstalling didn't work either from the boot USB.  I ran chkdsk /f on cmd no problems found.  Not sure what else to do?
  • JackE
    Boot to the X : \ command prompt from the USB stick. Then enter 'diskpart'. At the diskpart prompt, enter 'list volume' . Post phoneshot of result if possible. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• _chacha

Tinkerer

edited September 2020
    See attached
  • JackE
    OK. Now enter 'list disk' and post phone shot. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• _chacha

Tinkerer

edited September 2020
    See attached 
  • JackE
    Is secure boot disabled in the BIOS Boot tab? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• _chacha

Tinkerer

Yes its on legacy now
  • JackE
    edited September 2020
    NO!!!!!!! Change it to UEFI mode or the HDD won't boot or be repaired. Do NOT use legacy mode or you will lose everything on the HDD! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• _chacha

Tinkerer

When i change it back to UEFI, how do i disable the secure boot?  i don't see an option, Its doesnt allow me to boot from the usb in this mode.   
  • JackE
    You must first set and save a supervisor password. Then re-enter the BIOS with the password to disable secure boot. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ