Connect 2 monitors to laptop? Acer Nitro 5

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    The Fresco Logic IDDCX is essentially a baby GPU in the dock.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Edpa10
    Edpa10 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have been following these trail of comments & suggestions to the point that I had given up thinking Acer Nitro 5 (My model Nitro 5 no: AN515-51) does not support 2 external monitors. However after trying several monitor I was unexpectedly successful with my Nth experiment. Here is what I have done to achieve this setup. I have 2 Samsung Monitors (Monitor 1 - Model No:LT27B300MW/ZR a 27 inch monitor connected to the HDMI port + Monitor 2 - Model No: 2243LNX a 22 inch monitor connected with VGA cable however through HP 3001pr USB 3.0 Port Replicator connected to the USB 3.0 port on the same side as HDMI port. Here is a link for the replicator. https://www.uk.insight.com/en-gb/productinfo/notebook-and-handheld-docking-solutions-and-cradles/0002796413

Here is the kicker, I tried several monitors using the same HP replicator but it only allowed me to use one of the monitors not both. So I`m not sure If i missed one of the many combination of setups or it has something to do with the type of monitors that are paired together to achieve this extended display. I truly hope it might help some else struggling with the same.

One last note, due to the VGA connection on the secondary monitor its not the same visually as the primary monitor however I am just excited to finally succeed in this prolonged experiment. 
  • YES85
    YES85 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I bought the hub you linked from Amazon but it didn't work for me. What model is your laptop? I have the AN517-52-52T3
  • Robert631
    Robert631 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

YES85 said:
    I bought the hub you linked from Amazon but it didn't work for me. What model is your laptop? I have the AN517-52-52T3
    Mine is the acer nitro an515-53. It should work for you as long as you're plugging it into the right ports. Make sure you've plugged into the USB 3.0 port (the blue one).
  • YES85
    YES85 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Robert631 said:
    YES85 said:
    Mine is the acer nitro an515-53. It should work for you as long as you're plugging it into the right ports. Make sure you've plugged into the USB 3.0 port (the blue one).
    I got it to work. I had to download the software 😂
    Thank you so much. I thought I was gonna have to buy a whole new laptop. I needs my two screens lol 
  • getchethanbr
    getchethanbr Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi guys, I have Acer NITRO 5 Core i5 9th Gen with Nvidea GTX 1050 AN515-54-563Y / AN515-54-52H2. With I hdmi, I usb-c.
    I have 27inch full hd monitor and 18 inch hd monitor (for potrait mode). Does your solution work on this Robert? Anyone faced this situation with different resolution monitors?
  • Robert631

Tinkerer

Hi guys, I have Acer NITRO 5 Core i5 9th Gen with Nvidea GTX 1050 AN515-54-563Y / AN515-54-52H2. With I hdmi, I usb-c.
    I have 27inch full hd monitor and 18 inch hd monitor (for potrait mode). Does your solution work on this Robert? Anyone faced this situation with different resolution monitors?

Not sure, I haven't tried with different resolution monitors. Both of my external monitors are the same and they work just fine. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    It shouldn't matter with different resolutions. Those really only matter when you are mirroring a display, when extending they can be different. I have a full 4K, a 3K and a widescreen on my system.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JDOGGOKUSSJ2
    JDOGGOKUSSJ2 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have the same issue I purchased a splitter and when I connect 2 it shows both of them but they are 
    cloned even when on extend the laptop will be on screen 1 the 1st HDMI port will be screen 2 and the 2nd monitor will show
    what the laptop screen shows with a zoom setting with cut off edges so I tried purchasing a USB c HDMI port from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0885WDH6S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  
    but it doesn't even detect the monitor
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    That style of adapter won't work I'm afraid as it's not got usb display port. It would have to be a display link adapter
  • Shaur
    Shaur Member Posts: 6 New User
    Hi Robert ,

Can you connect to higher Refresh rate, like 144Hz monitor via HDMI or USB C
  • Robert631

Tinkerer

Shaur said:
    Hi Robert ,

Can you connect to higher Refresh rate, like 144Hz monitor via HDMI or USB C
    Both of my monitors are 60Hz so im not sure about 144Hz. I don't see why not though. But if you find the answer plz put it in this thread so everyone can see it 
  • Aashmiy
    Aashmiy Member Posts: 1 New User
    I was also wondering would this work for any more than 60hz?
  • Leostat
    HDMI depends on the res for the refresh rate, display link offically tops out at 60hz :)
  • Ievxn__
    Ievxn__ Member Posts: 1 New User
    Robert631 said:

Not sure, I haven't tried with different resolution monitors. Both of my external monitors are the same and they work just fine. 
    I have the i5 9th gen and the gtx 1650 somehow cant get the full 1080P rez of my monitor its only 800p any ideas?
  • erichoff93
    erichoff93 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Edpa10 said:
    I have been following these trail of comments & suggestions to the point that I had given up thinking Acer Nitro 5 (My model Nitro 5 no: AN515-51) does not support 2 external monitors. However after trying several monitor I was unexpectedly successful with my Nth experiment. Here is what I have done to achieve this setup. I have 2 Samsung Monitors (Monitor 1 - Model No:LT27B300MW/ZR a 27 inch monitor connected to the HDMI port + Monitor 2 - Model No: 2243LNX a 22 inch monitor connected with VGA cable however through HP 3001pr USB 3.0 Port Replicator connected to the USB 3.0 port on the same side as HDMI port. Here is a link for the replicator. https://www.uk.insight.com/en-gb/productinfo/notebook-and-handheld-docking-solutions-and-cradles/0002796413

Here is the kicker, I tried several monitors using the same HP replicator but it only allowed me to use one of the monitors not both. So I`m not sure If i missed one of the many combination of setups or it has something to do with the type of monitors that are paired together to achieve this extended display. I truly hope it might help some else struggling with the same.

One last note, due to the VGA connection on the secondary monitor its not the same visually as the primary monitor however I am just excited to finally succeed in this prolonged experiment. 
    Were you able to fix this? I'm having a similar issue. The USB 3.0 to Hdmi works perfectly but when I try to connect both monitors it only shows the HDMI port monitor and doesn't detect the second monitor.
  • JSIM
    JSIM Member Posts: 1 New User
    YES85 said:
    Robert631 said:
    YES85 said:
    I got it to work. I had to download the software 😂
    Thank you so much. I thought I was gonna have to buy a whole new laptop. I needs my two screens lol 
    Hi what software did you downloaded for USB 3 HDMI converter as my one is not working?
  • Leostat
    the software you will need will be based on the adapter you have, open a thread and we will see if we can help :)
  • Echoelin
    Echoelin Member Posts: 4 New User
    (NOTE: links will probably be in italian because that's where I live)
    Hi you all! 
    I have an Acer Nitro 5 an515-45 which has the same issue (the HDMI to HDMI cable connets an external monitor successfully, but nothing seems to work if I want to connect another one). With my previous laptop, I used a USB-C to HDMI adapter (https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B083Z8QBJ5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), but it doesn't work with this laptop anymore because it has no audio-video porting through USB-C (or at least that's what I understood so far). So I tried with a USB-C hub + USB-C to USB-A adapter (https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B08SVTY42W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B08NYPWCGV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) but it didn't work either. Then I purchased an USB-A to HDMI adapter (https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B08X4387LB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) but again, nothing.
    Please tell me there's a solution somewhere, I'm starting to lose hope T.T
    I hope I explained everything correctly, I'm not a native english speaker not a computer expert whatsoever, so feel free to ask me for futher explanation about my problem if wish to help.
    Thanks a lot! :D
  • Leostat
    With the USB A one, did you install a driver after plugging it in :) They need one!