Acer Extensa 215-52 Dual boot: Hard disk partitions not showing up on ubuntu installation

ZXD
ZXD Member Posts: 60 Troubleshooter
edited September 2020 in Aspire Laptops
I have Acer Extensa 215-52. I want to dual boot it with ubuntu. But my harddisk partitions are not showing while installing ubuntu 18. Only bootable USB is showing as /dev/sda. No Other media is showing. It should show all partitions from hard disk. I have made 200GB unallocated space through disk management.
I have changed the SATA mode to AHCI also.
secure boot disabled
fast boot disabled
USB created through RUFUS with GPT partition.
Do I need to change anything else in BIOS or other settings? 

Please let me know its urgent. 
Thanks

Thread was edited to add the model name to the title and to edit personal information

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,329 Trailblazer
    >>>I have changed the SATA mode to AHCI also.>>>

What was mode before you changed it? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ZXD
    Thanks for reply @JackE. Its was optane without RAID. 
    Now I have reinstalled windows 10 with AHCI mode. but no luck yet.
  • JackE
    Did you remove the optane card from the m.2 socket before you reinstalled Win10? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good Morning ZXD !

LINUX INSTALLATION TUTORIAL

On Windows, disable the system quick boot and in the disk manager, create the partition to install Linux.
    Now you will need a USB stick and an ISO exclusively x64bis.
    ISO, download this link: https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop

So let's create the installation media:
    1- Convert the pendrive to the GPT standard and format with the Fat32 system:

2- Now unzip the contents of the ISO to the USB stick.

Bios Configuration

You must first create the super user password. ("Set Supervisor Password" in the Security tab)
    Then save and leave.
    Access Bios again:

NOTE: some options at Bios may vary or not be present according to the version.

1- SecureBoot must be disabled
    2- must set the base in UEFi
    3- SataMode must be set to AHCi (if it is not accessible, press Ctrl + S in the MAIN tab)
    4- F12BootMenu must be enabled
    5- FastBoot must be disabled
    6- after the changes, press F10 to save the changes and exit.

Now just insert the pendrive and segment the installation procedure.

5- as soon as you turn on the device, press F12 before the Acer logo is displayed
    6- select the pendrive unit.
    7- go following the instructions on the screen and in the step of selecting the partitions, select the one already created for the installation.
    8- now just select the option to install Ubuntu.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• ZXD
    JackE said:
    Did you remove the optane card from the m.2 socket before you reinstalled Win10? Jack E/NJ
    No I did not do that. just changes the settings in BIOS only.
  • JackE
    Try removing the optane card if one is installed. You may have to re-install Win10. If you still have issues with the ubuntu install, I suggest that you install LinuxMint Cinnamon ubuntu version 19.3 instead. It seems to be more polished. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• You may need to update the bios:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ZXD
    edited September 2020
    MaClane said:
    Good Morning ZXD !

LINUX INSTALLATION TUTORIAL

On Windows, disable the system quick boot and in the disk manager, create the partition to install Linux.
    Now you will need a USB stick and an ISO exclusively x64bis.
    ISO, download this link: https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop

So let's create the installation media:
    1- Convert the pendrive to the GPT standard and format with the Fat32 system:

2- Now unzip the contents of the ISO to the USB stick.

Bios Configuration

You must first create the super user password. ("Set Supervisor Password" in the Security tab)
    Then save and leave.
    Access Bios again:

NOTE: some options at Bios may vary or not be present according to the version.

1- SecureBoot must be disabled
    2- must set the base in UEFi
    3- SataMode must be set to AHCi (if it is not accessible, press Ctrl + S in the MAIN tab)
    4- F12BootMenu must be enabled
    5- FastBoot must be disabled
    6- after the changes, press F10 to save the changes and exit.

Now just insert the pendrive and segment the installation procedure.

5- as soon as you turn on the device, press F12 before the Acer logo is displayed
    6- select the pendrive unit.
    7- go following the instructions on the screen and in the step of selecting the partitions, select the one already created for the installation.
    8- now just select the option to install Ubuntu.

MaClane. I did everything as you said but the same thing happened. No partitions show up in the Ubuntu 16 installation. See below images. 

Edited the thread to remove sensitive information
  • ZXD
    You may need to update the bios:

my version is 1.15 already newer than they have posted on site.
  • Can you send some pictures of the bios settings?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ZXD
    JackE said:
    Try removing the optane card if one is installed. You may have to re-install Win10. If you still have issues with the ubuntu install, I suggest that you install LinuxMint Cinnamon ubuntu version 19.3 instead. It seems to be more polished. Jack E/NJ
    @JackE I have purchased this laptop yesterday. also installed the windows just 2 hours ago. So cant open the hardware. 
    For Linuxmint I don't think it will make any difference as I have tried ubuntu 16, ubuntu 18 but no HDD partitions shows up.

• ZXD
    Can you send some pictures of the bios settings?
    updated see this thread above.
  • JackE
    Ubuntu may have installation issues if the optane card is installed. You have a WD mechanical drive with a small internal cache so it's likely a 16GB or 32GB optane card is installed. Check 'all apps' in the Win start menu. If your Win10 reinstall didn't exclude it in AHCI mode, scroll down to Intel Optane to see what you have inside.

Linux can't handle optane yet that I'm aware of. The ubuntu boot loader is looking for HDD0, the first hard drive 'sda' which might be the optane card and might be invisible in AHCI mode.  The WD is showing up as HDD1, the second hard drive.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ZXD
    @JackE
    yes The WD is showing up as HDD1, the second hard drive. I saw in BIOS it was HDD1. 
    I did not understand what you are saying about apps? Do I need to search for " Intel Optane"? please elaborate. thanks

• JackE
    Yes. Click on all apps in the Windows start menu. Then search for Intel Optane. It may have been removed from the ACER version of Win10 when you re-installed  the Microsoft generic version of Win10 in AHCI mode. If it was removed from the all apps menu, then  HWINFO64 freeware might reveal it without opening it up. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ZXD

this is the screen shot from the app you suggested. Also the "intel optane" was not installed on this window. I did not see any optane options. please let me know.
  • JackE
    Try changing the ubuntu installation boot disk to sdb from sda Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ZXD
    @JackE it's only option there. There is no other option to select other disk partition. 
  • JackE
    Can you try to backspace or delete the '/dev/sda' entry and then  enter '/dev/sdb' ? If not, I suggest that you try the more polished LinuxMint Cinnamon 19.3 or the new 20 ubuntu installation version. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ZXD
    @JakcE There is no edit option of the drive. I just took this screenshot from the ubuntu 18 USB dual-booting wizard.