Cannot re-enable touchpad because fn key stopped working

MarNeX
MarNeX Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello,
today i was trying to re-enable my touchpad like many times before but it didn't work. After a while i realized my fn key stopped working ( none of fn + f1-14 or sound/brightness hotkeys ). I've tried to go through some questions already, but it didn't find a solve for me.
Any help would be appreciated.
My pc is Acer Nitro AN515-51

Answers

• Does the same problem occur when restarting the battery?

Also, have you tried to reinstall windows?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • MarNeX

Tinkerer

edited August 2020
    I've tried to restart the battery ( multiple times to be sure ) and it didn't do anything.
    I haven't tried to reinstall windows either, because i don't want to do anything that could result in files loss. I would reinstall only if everything else fails.

Is there a way to unlock the touchpad without using fn + f5 or change the shortcut to something else ? Other than that i don't really see a big problem about fn button not working.
  • Are you sure that the fn key is not working? What happens when you reinstall windows by pressing alt + f10 before the acer logo?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • MarNeX

Tinkerer

Unfortunatelly factory reset / windows reinstall didn't help either.

One weird think i found out is that even if i cannot use none of the fn + f1-9 shortcuts after factory reset computer still remembers previous states ( like turned off touchpad or turned on keyboard lights ). How is that possible ? I thought factory reset totally rewrites all setting to the original ones.
  • Access the bios and then press f9 to restore it and then press f10.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• MarNeX

Tinkerer

edited September 2020
    Tried to restore the setting twice, but nothing happened. Is there an acer application, that could help me remap some of fn + f1-12 keys ? That would be actually enough.
  • Have you tried to disconnect and reconnect the keyboard?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• MarNeX

Tinkerer

I really don't wanna go inside of the notebook, so i think i would rather keep it this way. It's not really bothering me that much.
    Anyway i still want to thank you for your support.
  • When you change the touchpad to basic in bios, does the problem occur?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer