Swift 3 SF315-52g: Laptop not recognizing phone when connected via USB. Not an issue with the phone!

ashwinr136
ashwinr136 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited August 2020 in Members Lounge
Hello everyone,

I recently bought a Swift 3 SF315-52g, and I want to transfer some files from my Samsung Galaxy S7 to the laptop. However, when I tried connecting my phone to the laptop via USB (like I have done with my old Dell for years), the laptop does not even recognize the phone being plugged in. The phone gets charged, but there is no indication on the laptop that a phone is connected. I tried every USB port on my laptop, but no luck.

Device Manager should refresh when a new device is connected through the port. It does not refresh when I plug in my phone.

I chatted with Acer and called their support and they were not able to help me (and in the second case, said I would have to pay $199 for extended support to fix this. WTF?). I know it is not a problem with the cable, as I tried plugging in my phone to a school computer (I am in college) and it worked like a charm. It recognized my phone and I was able to open up the device.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Acer support was no help.

Thanks.

Comments

• you must select this option when connecting your phone to the notebook! 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZzIU5ErC4I
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • If that does not work, go to the device manager and see if there are any drivers with problems connecting the phone!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ashwinr136

Tinkerer

I have gone into developer mode and made sure that USB was set to MTP (it was already set like that). I know it works because it works on other laptops! I don't understand why it's not working on this one!

Device manager also does not even recognize that my phone has been connected. I watched some youtube videos and when they plugged in their phone, Device Manager refreshed even if there was a problem with the drivers. My Device Managers does not do anything like that.
  • Do USB ports recognize other devices normally?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• ashwinr136

Tinkerer

The only other USB device I have is an Arduino (a microprocessor) and that connects fine with USB.
  • About usb drivers, download the driverbooster program and update all notebook drivers! No need to install the game programs!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• bavvvm
    bavvvm Member Posts: 1 New User
    Did you manage to resolve this? I am still having the same problem, I have contacted acer support and can't get any help. It doesn't even recognise the USB being entered. I have a forklift training to run and I can't transfer my staff data from the old phone to the new.

Anyone managed to get this to work?

Bav
    Forklift Training UK
  • ashwinr136

Tinkerer

@bavvvm Nope, still haven't resolved it. For now, I've been using Google Drive...putting files on Drive on my phone and then downloading them on my computer, and vice versa. This isn't a long term solution though because I only get 15 gb's on Drive for free.
  • tDames
    tDames Member Posts: 1 New User
    @bavvvm Nope, still haven't resolved it. For now, I've been using Google Drive...putting files on Drive on my phone and then downloading them on my computer, and vice versa. This isn't a long term solution though because I only get 15 gb's on Drive for free.
    Have you downloaded the Samsung USB drivers?
  • ashwinr136

Tinkerer

@tDames I just downloaded it from Samsung's website. Still not working.
  • ms_chemi
    ms_chemi Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hello everyone,

I recently bought a Swift 3 SF315-52g, and I want to transfer some files from my Samsung Galaxy S7 to the laptop. However, when I tried connecting my phone to the laptop via USB (like I have done with my old Dell for years), the laptop does not even recognize the phone being plugged in. The phone gets charged, but there is no indication on the laptop that a phone is connected. I tried every USB port on my laptop, but no luck.

Device Manager should refresh when a new device is connected through the port. It does not refresh when I plug in my phone.

I chatted with Acer and called their support and they were not able to help me (and in the second case, said I would have to pay $199 for extended support to fix this. WTF?). I know it is not a problem with the cable, as I tried plugging in my phone to a school computer (I am in college) and it worked like a charm. It recognized my phone and I was able to open up the device.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Acer support was no help.

Thanks.
    YO I know this post is old but if you still don't have a solution, I just got one thanks to my very tech savvy ex.

1. Go to settings --> About phone --> Software Information
    2. Find Build Number and tap on it several times. This will open developer mode.
    3. Return to settings and scroll to the bottom.
    4. Developer Options --> Default USB configuration - select Transferring files
    5. Plug your phone into the laptop and VOILA! You will now see everything on your phone :)

I found this post while having the same trouble, and just did all the above and my Acer Swift can now see all my files. 

Let me know if this helps!

Rachel
  • ms_chemi
    ms_chemi Member Posts: 2 New User
    bavvvm said:
    Did you manage to resolve this? I am still having the same problem, I have contacted acer support and can't get any help. It doesn't even recognise the USB being entered. I have a forklift training to run and I can't transfer my staff data from the old phone to the new.

Anyone managed to get this to work?

Bav
    Forklift Training UK
    Hey, not sure how these forums work - first time using one! Anyway, see my above post if you're still having trouble with this. Sorry I'm 2 years late!

Rachel
  • Samuel-Acer
    Samuel-Acer Moderator Posts: 686 Moderator
    Hi @ms_chemi,

Welcome to our Acer Community.

Here you can share your ideas and questions. 

Please be informed that this thread is old and may not get much attention to the issue or suggestion posted by you. You may create new topics to add your query or suggestion.

Note: This thread will now be closed.

Regards,
    Acer-Samuel
This discussion has been closed.