Acer Switch Alpha 12 battery swell

Skwerl_67
Skwerl_67 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited September 2021 in Switch Series
I've had my Alpha for a couple years, and recently I left it home while away from work.  When I came home, I found that the case was split, and the battery swollen.  Im in I.T. (A+, MCSE)...I've seen this before with Dell devices, receiving a maunfacturer update, then not getting the restart command, in essence locking the PC in HUNG state, including the rectifier for the charging being stuck in ON...so the charger doesnt stop sending power to the battery.  A hard reset will allow you to access the device logs and show the reasoning behind the hung state.   My question...since it's manufacturer related, why isnt Acer providing a replacement battery?   Can someone from Acer reach out to me?

Answers

• Can you provide the exact model? Example SF315-52-58VH. Also, can you send a picture of the bloated battery?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    @Skwerl_67 send a PM to @Acer-Manny and he can likely help you get in touch with the right info.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Skwerl_67
    Skwerl_67 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I saw his posts in other threads...  I'm not sending it to the shop for a $140, when it's a $30 battery, and a 15 minute job.   Just need to know who to run the RMA through.  I pulled the logs after the reboot, and can post those it needed  - Reason RuleEngine
  • billsey
    Is it still under warranty? I though pretty much all the Switch Alpha 12s were old enough now to be out of warranty.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Can you take the laptop apart without violating the warranty?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • santiargy
    santiargy Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hi. I have an Acer Switch Alpha 12. Battery swallen, screen popping out. Anyone had luck with Acer replacing the failed part for free? Like a recall?
  • Ingrid-Acer
    Ingrid-Acer Administrator Posts: 3,273 Community Administrator
    santiargy, 

I am very sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue, Kindly reply  the private message I sent to you asking for some information, this way we can better assist you. 

Kind Regards, 
    Acer-Ingrid 
  • kishore1984
    kishore1984 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello, i too facing the same issue. screen popped out due to battery swelling. if I wish to replace the battery, where I could find the genuine battery for alpha 12? suggestions or help would be grateful. Thanks, Kishore.
  • billsey
    Acer's part number for the Switch Alpha 12's battery is: KT.00204.003
  • santiargy

Tinkerer

Talk to Acer. This is a clear manufacturing problem. Even if your warranty has expired they will replace it. 
  • SG_Can
    SG_Can Member Posts: 2 New User
    Unfortunately Acer has refused to accept responsibility for their design/manufacturing flaw. Even though they confirmed that it is a manufacturing problem from the battery manufacturer. In my case the swollen battery actually cracked the screen. Sent it to Acer and they confirmed that the swollen battery was the cause of the cracked screen but they still refused to take responsibility claiming warranty expiry. I came here to share my experience and also gather some evidences.
  • santiargy

Tinkerer

edited November 2021
    SG_Can said:
    Unfortunately Acer has refused to accept responsibility for their design/manufacturing flaw. Even though they confirmed that it is a manufacturing problem from the battery manufacturer. In my case the swollen battery actually cracked the screen. Sent it to Acer and they confirmed that the swollen battery was the cause of the cracked screen but they still refused to take responsibility claiming warranty expiry. I came here to share my experience and also gather some evidences.
    Well, then I got lucky. They did replace mine. Battery and screen. And warranty had also expired. I think this is a manufacturing issue not a wear and tear problem and so they should replace it. Same as with a recall. 
  • SG_Can
    SG_Can Member Posts: 2 New User
    santiargy said:
    SG_Can said:
    Well, then I got lucky. They did replace mine. Battery and screen. And warranty had also expired. I think this is a manufacturing issue not a wear and tear problem and so they should replace it. Same as with a recall. 
    Please can you give me the number you called?
  • santiargy

Tinkerer

just contacted people from Acer on this forum
  • tomaszek
    tomaszek Member Posts: 4 New User
    Have the same issue - unfortunately the battery caused the digitizer to crack .
    It is a shame such things happen in Acer more expensive models - I was super delicate with my laptop 

Acer-Ingrid - is there any post warranty service for such factory defects? I guess the battery should not swell - it can show 0% and that is not working but destroying part of working laptop is too much I guess. 
    The screen started popping out when there was still warranty but I had no idea that it can be connected with battery factory defect 
  • Ingrid-Acer
    Ingrid-Acer Administrator Posts: 3,273 Community Administrator
    Hello @tomaszek

I am very sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue. Please send me a private message with your contact information, serial number and issue images and we will be happy to escalate to your local support. 

Kind Regards, 
    Acer-Ingrid