Swift SF315-52 series Optane issue bluescreen at boot. PAGE FAULT IN UNPAGED AREA

kallisti
kallisti Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

Trying to repair mom's PC. I think maybe a system update broke it. I created a reddit thread and reached out to multiple support options. All of them want me to reinstall the OS. Some say I won't lose data, but will lose apps. I would rather not lose anything. It seems like maybe the wrong optane driver was installed? It was working and then she told me that overnight it broke, leading me to suspect Windows updates

According to mom, she tried to use the computer last night and it kept restarting. Sometimes it gives a blue Recovery screen an there's a menu See advanced repair options. I've tried a number of things from the repair options but it seems to keep rebooting.

Can we create a boot disk and fix the stoarge driver for this error? Anyone experienced with these Optane repairs?

Safe mode reboots. Safe mode with the command prompt reboots. See reddit thread for screenshots.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

What failed:IaStorA.sys

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14238/windows-10-troubleshoot-blue-screen-errors is not helping. Laptop is only a couple years old.

Answers

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 6,076 Pathfinder
    @kallisti
    You mom's pc window got corrupted.
    Is there is any important data?
    Do you have any other window system?
    windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • kallisti
    Is there is any important data?

Yes

Do you have any other window system?

I have another system running windows 7. I also have some linux systems.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    So you have a few steps you can take from here. You can pull the drive from the laptop and connect it to the W7 machine and copy the important data off, then go on with the diagnosis and repair. You can just go with a diagnosis and repair, making the assumption the data will still be there afterwards, or you can do as suggested on Reddit and just reinstall the OS. You will most likely loose the data with that, though theoretically not if the recovery environment is clean enough.
    Diagnosis will start with a better understanding of the environment. There are a bunch of different SKUs in the SF315-52 line. What does she have for a HDD, a SSD, memory, processor, Windows version? If the issue is Optane related that means she has a SSD and an Optane memory card. If she either doesn't have a HDD or doesn't have an Optane card then we're just looking at a misconfiguration, likely in the BIOS.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • kallisti
    Hello,

I'd like to keep all installed applications in place, all data in place. Then the preference is to fix the failed system storage driver boot process, but keep installed applications and data.

The system is using Optane and a hard drive. I believe the failed system driver is related to Optane. iAstorA.sys. There are similar but different issues posted in the press which admit issues with Windows update and Optane. Ideally someone who might understand Optane well and how to replace the failed system driver and achieve desired is what help I'm looking for.

• billsey
    Yeah, anything that corrupts the Optane SSD will screw up access to the HDD. Try pulling the Optane out (it's the M.2 drive) and booting without it (you might have to change the mode to AHCI in BIOS) and boot off the HDD. If that works you can pull all needed data out, then reinstall the Optane to see if it then resets the cache. If not the issue could easily be the Optane card itself...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • kallisti
    I think the boot sector exists on the optane card and not on the hard drive... 
  • kallisti
    Finally I have my doubts that the optane card failed, and think it's more likely a software issue that wrote some corrupt data to the module. Then the boot cannot happen. So I need a new boot sector on the optane card or write one to the hard drive.
  • billsey
    The Optane card doesn't have any partitions per se, it only exists to cache data streams to and from the HDD. The HDD has the UEFI boot partition as well as the recovery partitions and system partition. That's why I suggested to remove the Optane card. It should just give you the HDD without the caching, so slower than normal, but still functioning. If everything is working smoothly on just the HDD we know the Optane card is bad. If you have the same issues with the Optane removed the issue is more likely the HDD itself. Corrupted data cached is just as bad as the same corrupted data accessed directly.
  • kallisti
    I've been going through this also on an intel forum here:https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-Optane-Memory/Windows-Update-and-Optane-storage-driver-BSOD-Can-we-replace/m-p/1197812/highlight/true#M6639

Removing Optane modules and BSOD is not happening. But currently unable to boot.

• Just to complement the topic, can you disable optane memory? https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024626/memory-and-storage.html
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • kallisti
    I watched the video. Bios has been set to ACHI vs RST. There was no option regarding de-concatenation as mentioned in the video you referenced.
  • Are you sure that your model comes with an optane memory? What is the exact model? Example SF315-52-58VH
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • kallisti
    Yes, I removed the M10 memory module...
  • After removing the optane M10 cache memory, do bsods still occur?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• M2K3
    M2K3 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

kallisti said:
    Yes, I removed the M10 memory module...

Kallisti tell me if anything worked for you i'm currently facing the same issue as you are
  • kallisti
    Hi @M2K3 ,

I have not found any solution. Have you? I wrote a backup of the hard disk and have tried a number of things but nothing has solved this. Intel and acer should provide a solution for the user to disable or fix intel RST on this model without having the user lose all of their data.
  • @kallisti Have you checked this version of the bios?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer