Acer Swift SF113-31-P2JX upgrade HD

lorenzo80
lorenzo80 Member Posts: 10 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
hi, sorry for my bad english, i m italian
i saw this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX1-0MKQeYg 
and i want to do the same.
i oppened my laptop but my ssd slot looks for : m2. nvme NOT m.2 sata
so, can i buy nvme  and install the OS without problem?

thx

Answers

• lorenzo80
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQD9YX1vZiQ

u can see for this video he has m.2 sata
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    @lorenzo80 your SF113-31 supports a M.2 SATA 3 interface SSD, not an NVMe SSD. An NVMe drive should not work.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • lorenzo80
    if i look my motherboard, the m.2 slot looks like nvme no sata!!!!
    so….?what i have to buy!?
  • lorenzo80
    in my opinion iIthink the m.2 connector of my ultrabook is key-m type 

in fact even counting the pinout after the notch you can count 5 upper contacts and 4 lower contacts, characteristic of the key-b socket and consequently of a pcie connectivity

however, regardless of the type of ssd that I have to buy (sata or nvme), can you kindly confirm that I can install the operating system on the m.2 disk and then boot from it?

is there also a need to update the bios? If so, can you give me a link from where to download it?

thank you so much
  • billsey
    The M.2 type only refers to the number of PCIe lanes supported, not the SSD type. Yours needs an M.2 SATA SSD and most of those are either M type or M+B type, so they should fit fine. Your system can boot from the M.2 drive, you just have to clone the existing drive to the new one, then boot from the new drive before wiping the old one to convert it to a data disk.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • lorenzo80
    Did u see the picture? My slots Is absolutly nvme not sata!
  • lorenzo80
    My shape Is absolutly nvme
    I dont understand why u said sata
  • lorenzo80
    I show u again the picture of my motherboard

• lorenzo80
    I have to buy the First?

• billsey
    The slots do not determine if the drive is SATA or NVMe, the slots determine if it's PCIe x2 or PCIe x4. SATA works with either x2 or x4, NVMe requires x4. Your computer should have had the socket that could be either x2 or x4, but the chipset supports only x2, so you need a SATA SSD. It will fit the socket and work. If you look you will see that a B+M card fits into a B slot, an M slot or a B+M slot. What you cannot use is a B slot only card with the M slot connector you have.
  • lorenzo80
    Nice, i Will buy this ok?

ingston A400 240G Internal SSD M.2 2280 SA400M8/240G - Increase Performance

• billsey
    Yes, it looks like that Kingston will work fine.