Are all tc-885 motherboards the same?

kenstrguy
kenstrguy Member Posts: 11 New User
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
so far i have not found any motherboard specs online for ua91  i get some specs for ua92 and others i have been searching for a compatible graphics card  not sure what pci slot i have or what atx it is? is there any difference between the different ones ua91, ua92, etc

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    I believe I mentioned both the UA91 and UA92 sub-models use the same motherboard TC-885.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    No, the TC-885 started life with 8th gen processors and then later they switched to 9th gen. Although the motherboard chipset is the same between the two generations, the BIOS is different. The UA91 and UA92 have the same motherboard and BIOS though, the UA91 comes with an i3-9100 CPU and the UA92 has a i5-9400. The both come with a 512GB SSD and both have 8GB of memory.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • kenstrguy
    so if a graphics card will fit in ua92 it will fit in ua91 since its same motherboard
  • billsey
    Yes. Unless there's a physical issue with the HDD that might be mounted up front.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ttttt
    People using TC-885 UA91 will not be using a HDD mounted up front, as there are no space for that. They will use either the HDD tray or the small tray at the back of CD/DVD drive. The PCIE 3.0 x16 slot have enough space for a full sized graphics card. Nothing on the motherboard will block the graphics card access.
  • billsey
    The TC-885 has a drive tray at the front of the computer, against the front bezel and parallel to the case side. HDDs mount on the bottom of that, potentially hanging down where a GPU card would sit. The ODD also mounts sideways like that, but farther up and out of the area the GPU will use. There isn't a separate HDD bay, other than the bottom of the plate. There are mounting holes for two drives though...
  • ttttt
    Dear Billsey, 

I wonder are we talking about the same motherboard? I double check, triple check my TC-885 UA 91 motherboard and found out that there should be nothing blocking the x16 slot ( one very slim chance is the CMOS  battery, and not likely). A graphics card installed to the x16 should be able to extend from back to back.
  • billsey
    The back of the GPU will sit under the dive bay plate that mounts at the front of the machine. Depending on what 3.5" drive is chosen to mount there, it might hang down enough to interfere with the card. If so one of the shorty or half high cards is going to be a better choice. Measure first twice, cut once after. :)
  • ttttt
    Dear Billsey,
        I see your concern, the thickness of the HDD will probably interfere with a graphics card.There are four orange color mounting holes on the HDD tray for a 3.5" HDD. The HDD tray was designed to handle one 3.5" HDD only, and the position for it will be close to the top half of the PC, thus will not affect the x16 slot. The other possible mounting position is for 2.5" drive only. Oh, the guy who demonstrated installing a GTX 1660 Super to the TC-885 UA 92 video on Youtube also had a 3.5" HDD mounted to the HDD tray. That GTX 1660 Super is such a full size card. Just in case a very long and high graphics card comes in contact with the 2.5" HDD/SSD, people still can migrate the 2.5" drive to the small tray at the back of the CD/DVD drive. But I really doubt it will happen.
  • kenstrguy
    i got it to fit with some angling. almost looked like it wouldnt fit cause the expansion bay right in front of the slot which i am not using anyway
  • ttttt
    Dear Kenstrguy,

So finally what kind of graphics card and what type of power supply that you put in?
  • kenstrguy
    just put in geforce 1050ti graphics card
  • ttttt
    Do you need to upgrade the power supply?
  • kenstrguy
    not that i know of since it didnt come with a connector or suggest one. its compatible with the 300watt power supply.
  • ttttt
    As far as I know there is one connector selling at Amazon at around $10, which can convert two SATA  power connectors to one ( six or eight ?) pin connector, which can be plugged to a graphics card (assuming you do not have 2 additional drives added to your computer). By the way, have you tried to use the graphics card without additional power plugged to it ( just use power from the motherboard)?