Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-52 - new BIOS update(1.11) broke something.

lhmlyz
lhmlyz Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited July 2020 in Predator Laptops
Hi, it's been seven months since I purchased "Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-52". Two months ago I sent my laptop to the service because of thermal issues and fan malfunction. They replaced both fans and thermal paste. All were good until Acer released a new BIOS update. Before the update, my laptop was working enough cool and stable and both fans had 6000+ RPM on turbo mode. But now CPU fan fluctuates between 5700 and 5800 RPM on turbo mode and thermal performance is not good as before. Even current OS does not work properly, sometimes the system freezes and when I restart it stacks on black screen for several seconds. There are a lot thing which I haven't mentioned but my question is that can I replace BIOS with older release?

Thanks in advance.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363
Serial Number NHQ53ER017XXXXXXXXXX
SNID XXXXXXXXX
System Manufacturer Acer
System Model Predator PH315-52
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2592 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Insyde Corp. V1.11, 3/25/2020
OLD BIOS Version/Date Insyde Corp. V1.10, 3/25/2020
SMBIOS Version 3.0
Embedded Controller Version 1.06
BaseBoard Manufacturer CFL
BaseBoard Product Covini_CFS
BaseBoard Version V1.11
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB

[Thread edited to remove inappropriate or personal content]

Answers

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited July 2020
    lhmlyz first of ll never post serial/snid publicly its not allowed read the ACUA and follow the rules secondly why the reason to update the bios no one should ever update the bios to start with any particular reason ??  unless its to fix a specific issue that the bios update release notes on acer support state that it will fix  updating bios its very risky no one should do it if they dont really need to also disable windows from updating drivers/firmware or even completely windows 10 updates break more than they fix only update whatever u need when you need to and manually and as i previously said next time read the ACUA before you open a thread or post anything :)

Also i can see you upgraded your license to pro (shouldnt matter anyway unless you need to create an acer stock recovery usb drive in this case you will not be able to it will give u an error it will not recognise the acer OEW home license key neither the windows version in order to create it successfully ) and downgrading bios its not advised at all especially by normal average users its a very risky and complicated process which involve difficult steps and might brick your device if not done properly (same as updating it could cause the same but with less risk) my suggestion is assuming your stock recovery its still intact backup whatever you need and perform a stock recovery clean install ALT+F10 on boot select delete everything option good luck

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• lhmlyz

Tinkerer

@xapim thanks for your reply.
    I have read the ACUA but I couldn't notice the point which mentions prohibiting sharing of serial/SNID. If it's so, could you please tell me how can I remove those parts from my post? 
    I made a clean install and after installation, I install all Acer provided drivers manually to prevent windows 10 driver updates. My laptop was shipped with FreeBSD so I purchased and installed windows by myself. 
    From my experience, I don't trust any recovery futures on windows laptops because they most time create issues instead of fixing. I prefer to make a clean installation.
    I couldn't get your point, where Acer officially mentions that don't update your BIOS? As I know BIOS updates increase the compatibility of the device and fix the existing issues. Also, the latest BIOS update notes that "updates microcode and ME version". If I am not mistaken such updates provide security fixes on chipset and CPU. So if this update would cause an issue why Acer release this? I guess Acer has to pay more attention to their premium class devices. I haven't mentioned it due to off-topic, but how it's possible to fan breaks after five months on normal usage. The same question can be applied to this post. How it's possible fan speed fluctuates and thermal and overall performance decrease after BIOS update. 

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,696 Trailblazer
    lhmlyz said:
    @xapim thanks for your reply.
    I have read the ACUA but I couldn't notice the point which mentions prohibiting sharing of serial/SNID. If it's so, could you please tell me how can I remove those parts from my post? 
    I made a clean install and after installation, I install all Acer provided drivers manually to prevent windows 10 driver updates. My laptop was shipped with FreeBSD so I purchased and installed windows by myself. 
    From my experience, I don't trust any recovery futures on windows laptops because they most time create issues instead of fixing. I prefer to make a clean installation.
    I couldn't get your point, where Acer officially mentions that don't update your BIOS? As I know BIOS updates increase the compatibility of the device and fix the existing issues. Also, the latest BIOS update notes that "updates microcode and ME version". If I am not mistaken such updates provide security fixes on chipset and CPU. So if this update would cause an issue why Acer release this? I guess Acer has to pay more attention to their premium class devices. I haven't mentioned it due to off-topic, but how it's possible to fan breaks after five months on normal usage. The same question can be applied to this post. How it's possible fan speed fluctuates and thermal and overall performance decrease after BIOS update. 

“Lhmlyz” you are making too much out of fan speed, a 200-300rpm difference is not a drastic thing and the pasting has a very limited effect on cpu/gpu overheating! The overheating aspects of any computer is e.g. room temp, humidity and usage like hard core gaming and overall usage. The update of the bios has nothing to do with the systems faults.  

With the “OS does not work properly, sometimes the system freezes and when I restart it stacks on black screen for several seconds” this has nothing to do with your bios and/or fans, these faults are all to do with and how you have updated your Win-10 OP system graphics drivers and settings, have you got the latest Win-10 version 2004 and OS built 19041.330 installed?

I’ve used many laptops and desktops for over 30 years using windows but, since Win-10 especially I’ve never ever have any major problems with either Win-10 Pro and/or Home or with “Windows Update” (that I’ve used since day 1). My advice, never ever turn off “Windows Update” as that will do more security and driver damage(s) than prevent faults and errors. There are other things within the operating system and setups that you might have done wrong and that is why your Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-52 is not working properly. If you don’t know what you are doing, don’t touch the laptop as and what you have said that “two months ago I sent my laptop to the Acer service and they fix it and all was good” you should have left it alone and continued to use it.

• lhmlyz

Tinkerer

@StevenGen thanks for your reply. I have tried all possible solutions before I write here. Some programs don't work properly on Windows 10 2004 and I use this laptop for programming purposes. I installed Windows 10 2004 after updating BIOS but 1909 is more stable than 2004 so I backed to the older version. I think I will have to wait for the next BIOS update because there is nothing to do with these issues. I have used many windows devices but this is the first time I have encountered such a thing the system loses stability after updating BIOS.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited July 2020
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • If the problem occurred after updating the bios, I assume that you did not restore the bios after the update to remove some bugs. So do this:
    a) access the bios and then press f9 to restore it and then click save and shut down;
    b) then, disconnect the power adapter and press the power button for 12 seconds to reset the battery and the CMOS.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited July 2020
    lhmlyz it has been reported already to get it amended :) also never use the latest windows version its full of bugs wait at least 6 months to upgrade and acer doesnt mention anywhere to not update the bios they mention its risky and do it at your own responsibility and as i previously said theres no need to update any bios if its not so solve the exact issues that the notes state apart from that i dont see any reason to update the bios at all :)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,696 Trailblazer
    xapim said:
    lhmlyz it has been reported already to get it amended :) also never use the latest windows version its full of bugs wait at least 6 months to upgrade and acer doesnt mention anywhere to not update the bios they mention its risky and do it at your own responsibility and as i previously said theres no need to update any bios if its not so solve the exact issues that the notes state apart from that i dont see any reason to update the bios at all :)

How can you say this “also never use the latest windows version it’s full of bugs” if you haven’t used it? I’ve used version 2004 since day 1 and haven’t had any problems, the problems reposted were a .0001% of users which is normal

• PrskMate
    PrskMate Member Posts: 69 Devotee WiFi Icon
    I just updated to 1.12 and basically everything is perfect. I had the version 1.09 before, and I always thought my laptop has to be this loud, but no, now it's super silent. I'm not sure that it's the microcode from what you get from 1.11 also, or else, but now I'm sooo happy. -I bought it with a hdd, upgraded to an ssd earlier, so after bios update I had to set back to ahci to lunch windows from my ssd, since I used that mode first to install my windows, but it works just fine now-