Display sometimes won't turn on after sleep (Aspire A715-71G)

NedTheWise
NedTheWise Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi! I have an Aspire A715-71G with Windows 10 and no modifications. About 3 week ago, my laptop's display began occasionally not coming on after being woken from sleep. The only way I've found to get it to come on is to turn the laptop off and on or to change a setting in the display settings. In the display settings, I noticed that the laptop display was set to 'Disconnect this display" in the "Multiple displays" drop down menu. Once I switch the option to "Extend desktop to this display," the laptop display comes on. I'm not sure what's causing the display to disconnect while in sleep.

As far as I know, there has been only 1 major hit against the display. About 2 months ago, it suffered a drop from a couple feet high and landed on the side of the display. The only noticeable effect was that the plastic border surrounding the screen popped out. The wires and everything else seemed fine and I was able to simply pop the plastic back in. I'm sure, though, that this is somehow related to my problem.

I have already run chkdsk (no issues were found) and checked for updated monitor drivers (no new drivers were found).

If there's any more information or clarification needed, I'd be glad to provide. Thanks in advance!

Answers

• Does this problem also occur when hibernating and when you turn off the notebook completely?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • NedTheWise

Tinkerer

@egydiocoelho The majority of the time that it happens it's when I wake to laptop from sleep, but a few times it has happened when booting it up.
  • What happens when you update drivers on intele nvidia websites and also disable fast startup in power options?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • NedTheWise

Tinkerer

@egydiocoelho I updated the drivers and went two days without it happening, which was probably just luck because it began freezing again today.
  • Does the windows event viewer show any specific errors?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• NedTheWise

Tinkerer

@egydiocoelho I have received help from a local computer store and no longer need any other assistance. Thank you for your time and help, though!
  • you are welcome.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• raina
    raina Member Posts: 1 New User
    @NedTheWise Can you please elaborate what really was the problem and how did it get resolved as I am facing the same issue?
  • NedTheWise

Tinkerer

@raina I do not know for sure what is causing the display to disconnect itself, but from talking to others on a different forum, I've come to the conclusion that it's most likely loose wiring somewhere in the laptop. It would've come loose when the laptop was dropped. I've not had it resolved yet, as I'm taking it elsewhere to have it fixed. Here is a reply from the other forum that you may find helpful:

"If you would like a few other things to try. The next time this happens try to reset the display driver. Windows + Control + Shift + B. You'll hear a beep. If it doesn't come back, it's hardware. I'd take it apart and reseat the cable between the monitor and motherboard. It's clipped and generally pretty secure but it's possible it was just knocked loose."

I hope this helps.