Acer Swift 3 USB Type C Charging Do I get a pixel charger? (SF314-51-52W2)

Fahrenheit
Fahrenheit Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited January 2023 in Swift and Spin Series

Just bought a Swift 3 from Amazon (SF314-51-52W2) and according to some people in the reviews the laptop can be charged with the Type C connector. If that is indeed the case what charger do I get for it? I assume my Note 7 charger would be slow as snot with a laptop sized battery. Do I get a pixel chagrger? Would want one with a detabable wire, the pixel charger is hard wired. 

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew

This model supports USB-C charging via an adapter with these specifications: 19.5V 2.25A. There is an AC adapter available on the Acer store at https://store.acer.com/en-us. Just do a search for USB-C adapter and it should come up for you. It also has a separate power cord as well.

• Ynk
    Ynk Member Posts: 1 New User

Will it support charging itself through its USB type-C port when connecting to a USB-C dock ? (with one external monitor, ethernet network, usb devices connected to the dock).

(like this one https://store.acer.com/en-us/acer-usb-type-c-dock or this one http://plugable.com/products/ud-ca1/)

I would like to know if it possible to connect the Swift 3 to a dock with only one USB-C cable, and having display, data and charging working simultaneously through the USB type-C port. (and not having to plug the separate power cord)

• Philomorph
    Philomorph Member Posts: 4 New User

Ynk wrote:

Will it support charging itself through its USB type-C port when connecting to a USB-C dock ? (with one external monitor, ethernet network, usb devices connected to the dock).

(like this one https://store.acer.com/en-us/acer-usb-type-c-dock or this one http://plugable.com/products/ud-ca1/)

I would like to know if it possible to connect the Swift 3 to a dock with only one USB-C cable, and having display, data and charging working simultaneously through the USB type-C port. (and not having to plug the separate power cord)

This is exactly my question.

• jbern25
    jbern25 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi Acer,

Just like to check if the USB Type-C port of Swift 3 will work on a third-party universal charger like below. Based from the manual, USB Type-C charging will work with 45watts  charger. The mentioned charger below is rated 45watts with DC output 20V/2.25A (45watts) or 15V/3A (45watts) or 12V/3A or 5V/3A. But it does not have the same output as the original charger (19V/2.37A).

http://www.myinnergie.com/us/product/99

Please help to confirm is this will work.

Thanks!

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew

Unfortunately Acer cannot guarantee any charger that does not meet the power requirements for the laptop. You can certainly try it but please note we cannot make recommendations on third party devices.

• divanguz
    divanguz Member Posts: 1 New User

jbern25 wrote:

Hi Acer,

Just like to check if the USB Type-C port of Swift 3 will work on a third-party universal charger like below. Based from the manual, USB Type-C charging will work with 45watts  charger. The mentioned charger below is rated 45watts with DC output 20V/2.25A (45watts) or 15V/3A (45watts) or 12V/3A or 5V/3A. But it does not have the same output as the original charger (19V/2.37A).

http://www.myinnergie.com/us/product/99

Please help to confirm is this will work.

Thanks!

I bought this charger from amazon and promptly returned it. It does not work.

Acer refuses apparently to use a standardised USB-C power output, instead it uses its propriatary power output which is the same as the bundled charger (2.37A @ 19V). The innergie charger should offer 45W at two outputs, 3A @ 15V and 2.25A @ 20V but that is not recognised by the laptop. It doesn't even state the message "connected, not charging" which you would typically get if you had a lower powered charger on a laptop.
    This is a big big letdown for me and I'm very dissapointed that acer did this.

I get that its maybe because that using a standardised USB-C output would require them to add another charging circuit which would in turn ramp up the price, but still, a very bad decision.

I tried charging my swift 3 with the swift 7 charger which is USB C and has the correct 2.37A @ 19V output and that DOES charge the swift 3.

The downside is that the swift 7 charger is way bulkier than it needs to be and is also very hard to come by. I would really like to carry only one charger in my bag that would charge my phone and my laptop, which also should be a lot smaller than the swift 7 charger, but we are out of luck as it seems.

• jbern25
    jbern25 Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for your confirmation. good thing I did not buy this charger. 

And you are exactly right. USB interface is designed to be "Universal" and I don't understand why some devices make it limited to their own brand only. It really defeats its feature. 

• Reeyahsi
    Reeyahsi Member Posts: 1 New User
    Dear Acer
    i juat brought acer swift 3 and just realise theres no ethernet connect... is it possible if i use ethernet adapter https://youtu.be/ZMSbcm-9tf0 for my laptop? Is it support? 
    76267348544 Member Posts: 1 New User
    The power jack on my Swift 3 (SF314-51) is broken so I just cut off the barrel connector and soldered the power brick to a spare USB-A to USB-C connector. Red on the USB connects to white, black to the other wire.

Works flawlessly ^^
  • achyutarjun1997
    achyutarjun1997 Member Posts: 1 New User
    The power jack on my Swift 3 (SF314-51) is broken so I just cut off the barrel connector and soldered the power brick to a spare USB-A to USB-C connector. Red on the USB connects to white, black to the other wire.

Works flawlessly ^^
    whoa! that's some badass s#it you did there brother! I am not sure I would dare to do that, but I was wondering if the MacBook charger would work on the SF314-55G 52AT?
    Did anyone try that?? Will any type-c charger of 65W output work??
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    As Acer-Mary said back in 2016... You need an USB-C charger that outputs 19.5V 2.25A, so as long as your charger isn't under those specs it will work fine. Note that some charger only do 5V or 10V, or ...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ezratheproto
    ezratheproto Member Posts: 11 New User
    billsey said:
    As Acer-Mary said back in 2016... You need an USB-C charger that outputs 19.5V 2.25A, so as long as your charger isn't under those specs it will work fine. Note that some charger only do 5V or 10V, or ...
    I have a taifu q66 type-c 65w charger that does 5v, 5.2v, 9v, 12v, 14v, 15v, 20v and 20.3v and it works just fine with my swift 3, wonder how exact it needs to be
  • billsey
    Both 20V and 20.3V are 'at least 19V', so should (and does) work fine.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • nhanced
    nhanced Member Posts: 2 New User

I have an Acer Swift 3 (model SF313-51). Does the above mean that no powerbanks will charge it even if specs are adequate? I bought a Romoss 20,000mAh powerbank, with USB-C output rated to "5V=3A or 9V=3A or 12V=3A or 15V=3A or 20V=2A (45W MAX)" but when plugged into laptop via USB-C to USB-C nothing happens. I've tested and confirmed that the powerbank, cable, and laptop port all work normally.

• billsey

If it is actually putting out 20V@2A as specified, it should work to charge, albeit slowly since that's under the 45W needed. Does a 45W or larger USB-C charger work without using the power bank?

• nhanced
    nhanced Member Posts: 2 New User

I don't have any larger chargers to test that unfortunately.

When the powerbank I have is plugged in, the powerbank's LED display which shows it's remaining % of charge flashes as if it's charging, but the laptop's battery status icon doesn't change to a "charging" state. Could the powerbank be at least slowing down my laptop's rate of battery use?

• billsey

Maybe, but it sounds like the bank isn't giving the right voltage, even though specs say it should be close at least. Is the bank still in warranty? Maybe the manufacturer's tech support has some ideas...