ASPIRE TC-885 UA 91 ADDING M.2 NVME SSD CARD TO PCIE 3.0 x16 SLOT

ttttt
ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
I am not going to use the available PCIE x16 slot for a dedicated graphics card, as I am satisfied with the on board graphics. However, I plan to add a M.2 NVME SSD card to occupy this PCIE 3.0 x16 slot so as to make this added second M.2 NVME SSD a mobile storage or mobile Linux OS device. The original M.2 NVME SSD is too difficult to access, needed to take out some other parts before getting to it. 

I wonder if anybody tried something like this? The only concern I have in mind is if this will disable the original on board graphics? If dedicated graphics card is inserted to this x16 PCIE slot, this will disable the on board graphics for sure. If it is a M.2 NVME SSD card, will it do the same?

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    There shouldn't be any issue with plugging a non-graphics card in the x16 slot. The card would have to tell the BIOS that it was a GPU before the BIOS would disable the onboard graphics. I can't imagine any reason for a storage adapter to tell the system it was a GPU.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• Look this:
    Now, regarding your question, I don't think that using a pcie x16 nvme caddy will not disable the onboard video card:
    M2 SSD NVMe Pro NGFF PARA PCIE X16 30 X4 Adaptador M Placa de
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ttttt
    Dear egydiocoelho,

Thanks for answering my question. It is  not worth wasting $20 to get the M.2 SSD caddy and then find out it will disable the on board graphics.  Hope some people who actually tried to add the M.2 NVME SSD PCIE card/caddy can answer the question for sure. Too bad that my computer only has one x16 and one x1 slots left for expansion. The x1 slot cannot be used for M.2 SSD caddy, as it needs at least x4.

For the mean time, I have to use the USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type C port for this external M.2 NVME SSD usage. Hope the port is truly 10 Gbps speed as an Acer America employee claimed (Still doubt about it, will find out within a couple of days). No matter what, the M.2 NVME SSD to be used will perform at reduced speed, but that will still be better than a regular 2.5" SATA 3 SSD, if the Type C port truly runs up to 10 Gbps speed.
  • In this case, the best option, for now, is to install nvme in socket m2 2280.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ttttt
    As I mentioned before, the M.2 2280 socket is too difficult to access. I have to take out CD/DVD drive as well as the front panel to access it. This totally defeated the concept of making the M.2 NVME SSD a mobile drive.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    There shouldn't be any issue with plugging a non-graphics card in the x16 slot. The card would have to tell the BIOS that it was a GPU before the BIOS would disable the onboard graphics. I can't imagine any reason for a storage adapter to tell the system it was a GPU.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ttttt
    Two Trailblazers Billsey  and Egydiocoelho seemed to have different opinions on this topic. I am still awaiting an answer from people who actually tried to add the card to the PCIE x16 slot to give a definite answer.

Currently I tend to believe a x4 PCIE card may not occupy all female connector pins of the x16 slot, so there may be a chance it may not disable the on board graphics. However, even if the added M.2 NVME SSD can be used, it can only be used for data only and not bootable (I guess). I am using an external attachment/enclosure device to add a M.2 NVME SSD to boot Linux OS via the front panel USB 3.1 gen 2 Type-C port, running at reduced speed, of course!
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited June 2020
    At no time did I say I would not recognize the nvme adapter. The pcie x16 slot will only recognize the hardware that is connected, even if it is not a dedicated video card. There is no problem connecting this adapter to the pcie port. See what I said here:

Now, regarding your question, I don't think using a pcie x16 nvme caddy will disable the integrated graphics card:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• billsey
    Yes, we are in agreement that it shouldn't disable onboard graphics.
  • ttttt
    `O.K. Two Trailblazers are in agreement. It's time to buy the card and another M.2 NVMe SSD to test it out.
  • billsey
    :) You will have to come back and tell us we were right...
  • DC22
    DC22 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited November 2020
    ttttt Did it work like you wanted? I want to do the same thing if it did.

I already upgraded my RAM and now am trying to figure out the best SSD option I can add internally while keeping the SSD it came with. I think I can just put a 2.5" 1TB on the inside of the metal wall, but if that PCIe x16 bus works that may be better.

What can the PCIe x1 bus be used for? I can't find any readily available information on this motherboard. 

Thanks!
  • ttttt
    @DC22
    Based on the your response to other TC-885-UA92 user, I presume you have a TC-885-UA91 or UA92. The HDD tray(maybe that's what you referred as the inside metal wall) will allow one 3.5" HDD plus a 2.5" SSD or two 2.5" SATA HDD/SSD. There is another small tray without screw holes at the back side of the DVD drive, where you can use Gorilla tape or masking tape to put a 2.5" SSD/HDD. For my case, I have three HDD/SSD internally mounted or taped to, using two sets of SATA3 data cables and power connectors. To my surprise, the one mounted with gorilla tape is strong enough to hold the 2.5" SSD firm enough when I plugged/unplugged the cables and power connector by sharing the cables with another HDD/SSD from time to time.

About the adding of M.2 NVMe SSD to PCIe 3.0 x16 slot with a x4 adapter, I did that successfully and I reported the result here:

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/607222/info-adding-m-2-nvme-ssd-with-pcie-3x4-adapter-card-to-the-x16-slot#latest

If you clicked on my avatar and search the posts by me, you can see some of my follow up findings.
  • ttttt
    @DC22
    I don't see much usage for the PCIe 3.0 x1 slot. However, in one of my old PCs I added a 7-port USB 3.0 card to this kind of x1 slot. Maybe other people can tell you other usages for this x1 slot.

Acer is bad on documentations, PC service manuals are not for public circulation. Some Trailblazers here in this community have access to the motherboard information and may post the motherboard pictures if asked.

If you have other questions, you may want to start a new thread.
  • DC22
    DC22 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Thank you! I'm new to PC's and I didn't see that you had responded due to this PC being connected to outlook. I appreciate your time and tips.