AN515-44-R99Q RAM Upgrade

xeos
xeos Member Posts: 4 New User
edited October 2023 in Nitro Gaming
I recently bought an an515-44-r99q with the ryzen 5 4600h, gtx 1650 & 8gb of ddr4 @ 3200mhz but would like to upgrade to 16 or 32gb of ram. I bought a 32gb kit of crucial ballistix (2x 16gb 3200mhz) but it only runs at 2666. I understand that to get it to 3200mhz I'd need to enable XMP but the bios doesn't have any options for this and I'm wary of up/down grading the bios to try and acquire these settings.

The 8gb stick that came in the machine does run at 3200mhz. Does anyone know of any ram that this system will actually run at 3200mhz without XMP?

Thank you in advance!

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,696 Trailblazer
    Have a look at this Crucial upgrade for the Nitro 5 AN515-42 Compatible upgrades 28 Memory upgrades and 12 SSD 2.5” and M.2 upgrades, which is the same as for your AN515-44-R99Q here: https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/acer/nitro-5-an515-42 
  • xeos

Crucial Ballistix SODIMM 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Gaming Memory (Black)

(BL2K16G32C16S4B)

This is the exact kit I ordered and I can only get the system to see it at 2666mhz. It appears the sticks are overclocked to 3200mhz and without XMP enabled a system will only read them at their base of 2666.

They also list:
    Crucial 16GB DDR4-3200 SODIMM
    CT16G4SFD832A
    But given the results of the "ballistix" kit I'm extremely wary of ordering 2 of these sticks. Feel like I can't trust Crucial at all now.

• ComputerJonDDRx
    ComputerJonDDRx Member Posts: 2 New User
    I just picked up one of these laptops as well. I already threw a 1tb sata ssd in without a problem.

Next step for me is RAM, and I had concerns about this exact issue before I even found this thread. I ran into all sorts of adventures tuning my desktop RAM, and wanted to avoid that as there is nowhere in the laptop BIOS to enable DOCP.

My theory:

There is a YouTube video of a guy with some obnoxious username that has no problem throwing in a 16gb stick of CL22 3200mhz crucial ram and running fine (even though stock ram is CL16). 

The ram you bought is rated at 3200mhz AT 1.35v, while the ram this guy installed (and several others on that list) are all rated 3200mhz at 1.2v.

My guess is your ram is simply running at 1.2v giving you 2666mhz, and the BIOS will not allow you to increase the voltage, thus leaving you stranded at a slower speed.

I’m going to pick up an 8gb stuck of g.skill 18-18-18-43 3200mhz 1.2v and see if it runs correctly. Stock stick is 16-22-22-43 so hopefully it will just run the CL16 timings (cross your fingers).

Will update results when the RAM shows up.
  • ComputerJonDDRx
    ComputerJonDDRx Member Posts: 2 New User
    Here’s the update, the CL18 3200mhz 1.2v g.skill ram did not work.

It looks like the stock ram is actually CL22, and it does NOT have an XMP/DOCP profile interestingly.

I’ve given up and I’m ordering an 8 gig stick of the crucial CL22 3200mhz ram it comes with. Disappointing, but I’m $790 in ($90 1tb ssd, $33 ram stick) on a laptop with 1.25TB of ssd storage, 16gb dual channel decent ram (it’s a laptop ffs), and a 6 core/12 thread cpu that’s 30-50% faster per core than my i5 6300hq in my old laptop.

All-in-all, the biggest complaint is that I have to send back the old ram. 

BUT!! I’m hoping this helps people going forward, as dual channel dramatically helps most CPU heavy games and the laptop is solid as hell for the price point.
  • batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    edited July 2020
    Non of the entry level gaming laptops supports XMP so you have 0 value of getting such, there are at least 50 topics here about this. Otherwise, enjoy your new laptop!
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• xeos

It looks like the stock ram is actually CL22, and it does NOT have an XMP/DOCP profile interestingly.

I’ve given up and I’m ordering an 8 gig stick of the crucial CL22 3200mhz ram it comes with. Disappointing, but I’m $790 in ($90 1tb ssd, $33 ram stick) on a laptop with 1.25TB of ssd storage, 16gb dual channel decent ram (it’s a laptop ffs), and a 6 core/12 thread cpu that’s 30-50% faster per core than my i5 6300hq in my old laptop.

BUT!! I’m hoping this helps people going forward, as dual channel dramatically helps most CPU heavy games and the laptop is solid as hell for the price point.

I ended up buying two 16gb sticks of kingston hyperx 3200mhz cl20 1.2v that work perfectly and run at 3200.
  • scottyedog
    scottyedog Member Posts: 1 New User
    what brand of hard drive did you buy when you upgraded to 1tb?

• batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    @scottyedog To whom is the question?
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• xeos

I went with the 2 below & threw the 250bg NVMe that came with the system in the second slot.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KZNTZYB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_QV4lFbZEQX8WB

• JoseFMR
    JoseFMR Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hi, 

I just bought AN515-44 from eBay refurbished but didn't come with hdd cable, someone know where i can get one'?
  • Rampage_iR
    Rampage_iR Member Posts: 1 New User
    xeos said:

I went with the 2 below & threw the 250bg NVMe that came with the system in the second slot.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KZNTZYB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_QV4lFbZEQX8WB

Which of these two ssd did you install or did you use both? Just curious.
  • FelCider
    FelCider Member Posts: 1 New User
    xeos said:

I ended up buying two 16gb sticks of kingston hyperx 3200mhz cl20 1.2v that work perfectly and run at 3200.
    Can you possibly provide a link to the exact RAM you ended up buying?
  • SovereignKnight
    SovereignKnight Member Posts: 1 New User
    This is the ram I used and it is perfectly matched for the laptop. It is running at 3200Mhz. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q6PJVTX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• CleanBlueGlasses
    CleanBlueGlasses Member Posts: 2 New User
    I am considering the following:
    PNY 32GB (2x16GB) XLR8 Gaming Epic-X RGB DDR4 3200MHz Desktop Memory RAM White Edition – (MD32GK2D4320016XWRGB)​
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08T6R6DRK/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_FKYZCPRFPA116NCDG4ZJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Does anyone have experience with these sticks?  Will they work and/or perform very well?
  • CleanBlueGlasses
    CleanBlueGlasses Member Posts: 2 New User
    I am considering the following:
    PNY 32GB (2x16GB) XLR8 Gaming Epic-X RGB DDR4 3200MHz Desktop Memory RAM White Edition – (MD32GK2D4320016XWRGB)​
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08T6R6DRK/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_FKYZCPRFPA116NCDG4ZJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Does anyone have experience with these sticks?  Will they work and/or perform very well?
    Those were desktop DIMMs.  Not compatible.
This discussion has been closed.